Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 5:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are all top prizes in circulation immediately?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 10 months ago by James78.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #173431
March 2, 2016
41 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2016, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Two of the Scratchers games I am playing both have 33% of their total prizes claimed, but now both of them have 50% of their top prizes claimed (2 claimed out of 4 total for each game). On the other hand, few of the mid-level prizes have been claimed (1% for one game, 18% for the other).

Since I play with the hope of getting the top prize, should I stop playing until 50% of the prizes are claimed (under the assumption that the remaining top prizes won't be put into circulation until 50% of the total prizes have been claimed) or should I continue playing (under the assumption that some if not all of the four remaining top prizes are out there now, and that the odds of getting a top prize are now worse than the listed odds)?

Thanks for any advice.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    431 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2016, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

Who knows? 

But I highly doubt it... There's simply not enough shelf space in stores to circulate all the winners at once IMO.

Also... In my state, they have a habit of pulling the game unexpectedly before all the major prizes are even distributed... So coming up with any sort of strategy is futile.

-RC

ozone park
      United States
      Member #57042
      December 15, 2007
      274 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2016, 10:46 am - IP Logged

It depends on how many tickets went to print.  For instance the NYS Scratcher 1 million dollars a year for life, printed a little over 21 million tickets. there were 6 winners. for every 3.5 million tickets sold there was 1 winner. And it went just about that way throughout the game. it took 8 years and the remaining winner looks like it could have been destroyed by lottery.

California
        United States
        Member #173431
        March 2, 2016
        41 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2016, 1:08 am - IP Logged

I'm now thinking that all prizes are scattered "randomly", so I am not going to wait around. I assume all the tickets are printed, so the packs containing the remaining top prizes are probably queued behind other packs at various lottery retailers and won't see the light of day until those other packs get sold.

I think the mid-level prizes are probably underreported because they are stuck in the claim process at the lottery office. I guess the first few top prizes get priority and are fast-tracked through the claim process (maybe for publicity and because there are so few top prizes), so they show up relatively quickly once they are found. When the last remaining top prize is found, it might also get "stuck" in the claim process at the lottery office to drag out the game and provide hope that there is still a top prize out there...