Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a specific game in general that has the best odds?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 9 months ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
DALLAS
United States
Member #173594
March 9, 2016
1 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2016, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Just got into lottery recently with the 1.6b pot a few months back, I had never played before.  I won like $30 and bought scratch-offs.  My idea was to only spend my earnings but I think now I've spent another $75 on top of that in the last couple of months, ha.  Not a lot of money to me and I'm just doing it for fun and not all that often.  I have read Pick 4 (or some variation) is generally considered to have the best odds, and that playing the same number(s) every time is smart as well.  Is that true?  Any other game you think has better odds?

In general I know all of the odds are terrible with the lottery, so I am definitely not asking anyone to justify playing, just curious which games are the most reasonable.  I think I've gathered the scratch-offs are pretty awful from an odds perspective.  I am in Texas BTW.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3104 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2016, 8:14 am - IP Logged

You have to compare game size odds versus prize size.  Lower odds for a smaller prize is roughly equal, unless that is a forever prize you'd be happy to wipe out your luck winning.

If we were allowed (hey aren't we supposed to be free?) to play lottery in any state from home at counter price not butler service price, it would certainly be possible to find games with lower odds and/or higher payouts, and the very reason states want to keep their fish within their borders.  Same reason corporations register in Delaware and ships in Panama, better deal.

For my money the Florida Fantasy Five is a sweet game because without a jackpot winner the prize money is rolled down into the lower tier prizes.  One day the four number prize is $68. the next $1068. You never know!

BobP

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5604 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2016, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Just got into lottery recently with the 1.6b pot a few months back, I had never played before.  I won like $30 and bought scratch-offs.  My idea was to only spend my earnings but I think now I've spent another $75 on top of that in the last couple of months, ha.  Not a lot of money to me and I'm just doing it for fun and not all that often.  I have read Pick 4 (or some variation) is generally considered to have the best odds, and that playing the same number(s) every time is smart as well.  Is that true?  Any other game you think has better odds?

In general I know all of the odds are terrible with the lottery, so I am definitely not asking anyone to justify playing, just curious which games are the most reasonable.  I think I've gathered the scratch-offs are pretty awful from an odds perspective.  I am in Texas BTW.

Check out all the games and the odds on Texas lottery's website. Cash 5 has odds of app 435000 to 1 on the jackpot. But, that jackpot will be around $15,000 or $16,000. Compared to Powerball or Megamillions, the odds for Cash 5 are great. The payout, not so much. If that's your goal...$15,000 or so, fine. If your goal is to retire immediately (like I want), Cash 5 isn't worth my time.

As a side note, you can play $5 straight on Daily 4 and win $25,000.  Odds are 10000 to 1.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2016, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

All or nothing is kind of nice, jackpot game with around 38% expectation in cash.

Pick 3 front pair or back pair, one out of hundred.

Keno pick 2, 20/70.

Texas 5 pays 2 dollars for 2/5. Aim 2/5.

If you want to play for fun, play for the small prices.

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
          Ontario
          Canada
          Member #109243
          April 9, 2011
          31437 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2016, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

All or nothing is kind of nice, jackpot game with around 38% expectation in cash.

Pick 3 front pair or back pair, one out of hundred.

Keno pick 2, 20/70.

Texas 5 pays 2 dollars for 2/5. Aim 2/5.

If you want to play for fun, play for the small prices.

Here Keno 2 Spot Pays $7 For 2/2($1 Bet)

$25 For3/3....$100 For 4/4

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7314 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2016, 1:42 am - IP Logged

You have to compare game size odds versus prize size.  Lower odds for a smaller prize is roughly equal, unless that is a forever prize you'd be happy to wipe out your luck winning.

If we were allowed (hey aren't we supposed to be free?) to play lottery in any state from home at counter price not butler service price, it would certainly be possible to find games with lower odds and/or higher payouts, and the very reason states want to keep their fish within their borders.  Same reason corporations register in Delaware and ships in Panama, better deal.

For my money the Florida Fantasy Five is a sweet game because without a jackpot winner the prize money is rolled down into the lower tier prizes.  One day the four number prize is $68. the next $1068. You never know!

BobP

"If we were allowed (hey aren't we supposed to be free?) to play lottery in any state from home at counter price not butler service price, it would certainly be possible to find games with lower odds and/or higher payouts, and the very reason states want to keep their fish within their borders."

But that goes against the government's idea it must treat us like children; they know what's best for us and we better not complain.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Odds of most lottery games never change but their jackpots do so so you have to check their websites everyday for the best odds.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking