Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

found winner

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 months ago by Perfecttiming2.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
woody4591's avatar - woodywoodpecker
Morristown, NJ
United States
Member #172032
January 14, 2016
57 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2016, 9:39 am - IP Logged

A couple of weeks ago I found a mega millions ticket on the ground for the next drawing. It had three plays on it. Two of the mega ball numbers were identical #14 which came in with one additional number giving me a $3 dollar win. Not much I know but I did get a free Starbucks on Saturday. A win is a win! Anybody else "found" a winner lately?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22978 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2016, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Good job woody! Free money is good money...IF it is unsolicited   Thumbs Up

I only have found money a few times...lottery related, I found a $30 $3 ticket laying next to the machine.

The game was a complicated one and it was probably discarded as a loser, the scan box was covered but

I could see the win plain as day.

$20 on the floor at a supermarket. $10 on the ground at an amusement park. $5 outside CVS. $10 outside

a gas station. A bunch of coins in a coinstar which I directed the nearest kid to...the parent seemed okay with

taking it and no one was around anyway. The kid was thrilled.

If there is clearly no one walking around looking like they lost something, I don't think it's wrong to pick it up.

You could always give later to someone you find who needs it...but if you needed a coffee that day, nothing

wrong with that either.

Good luck and hope you find a jackpot ticket...but....that might get a little hairy.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Morristown, NJ
      United States
      Member #172032
      January 14, 2016
      57 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2016, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

That was my first and only lottery find. However, I do find money all the time. I live in a fairly large city so it's not all that surprising. Just a few months ago I found a broken cell phone in a case in the middle of the road. Tucked behind the broken phone was $216. About six years ago I found a bank envelope (I always pick them up when I see one) that contained 7 one hundred dollar bills. It had no markings whatsoever as to who it belong to though I did hold on to it for two weeks in case someone reported losing it. Not about to give it to police. (Big trust issues there) Hardly a month goes by that I don't find at least 20 bucks.

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
        Member #164727
        March 12, 2015
        2536 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2016, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I always check scratch offs that are discarded at the betslip counter. About 6 weeks ago I found a 20 dollar winner someone overlooked. I don't know about anyone else, but If I pay 20 bucks for a scratch off, I'm checking it three times over.. lol

There was a story  a couple of years ago about a guy in new York who was looking through the garbage at the OTB offices and found winners every day. The business was so good, he now has hired help going through the bins throughout the city. He makes about 50,000 bucks a year doing this. 

It turns out some people throw their tickets away before the official winner is announced. It's a lot of work. He takes all the tickets out of the bin just before the offices close. and makes them into short stacks with rubber bands around them. Then he and his team sift through tens of thousands of tickets to find the nuggets. It's tedious but well worth it I guess.

snapdragon's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Charlotte
          United States
          Member #111862
          June 4, 2011
          25 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2016, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I've found  winning tickets in the trash, even though the  stores have scanning machines.  There are a few regular stores that I buy tickets from, and often get discarded tickets from the trash to enter in 2nd chance drawings.  So far, the highest win has been $25; and I certainly cannot complain since it's free money.  I've found quite a few others for $20, $10 and below.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
            Cordova,Al.
            United States
            Member #104482
            January 15, 2011
            4940 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2016, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I have find winning Lottery Tickets before. Someone left on the counter where the play slips are. When In. buy that 4 0r 5 page scratch out . Which everybody believe we shouldn't tear it a part. It a lot of games on it. $35. Ticket. The person did all the games they saw , in the middle of the ticket is where you tear and under fold the rest of the games, it was 3 whole pages of games not scratch off it was a really nice winner. I play off that ticket for next 5 days. I found more tickets that people haven't finish. I like to get tickets that have a second chance drawing. When you can't entry the number that the state ask for it usually because the ticket is all ready a winner over looked. I found money in strange way. I stop to talk to someone at the post office in the parking lot. They left I decide I wanted stamps their was a envelope fold laying on the ground I pick it up at was full of money. I look around to see if I saw anybody it could belong to. IT was 3 people walking way a head of me going into the post office. I counted it. I believe that the person that loss it knew the exact amount. While we waited in line I start talking to two of the people out the 3 that entry the post office before. The first person finish their business & said see you later to everyone. The second person, place her order then start searching for the money.She was about to go the whole 9 yards, she had dump out her purse , she said , it all her bill money for the month including Rent. Everybody look on the floor now. She was still search , it look like she burst in to tears anytime now. Then she say the exact amount she loss. I tap on the shoulders , I told her stop looking here your money. You dropped it on the way into the post office with your friend. Since you three was the only walking in front of me I knew it had to belong to one of you. I needed one of you to said the exact amount & what else was in the envelope to return to right person. She wait for me outside to say Thank you & how many people wouldn't return it. I told her , that was not my blessing it your. I hand you back your soon my own blessings could come to me. Good karma get Good karma. I didn't want my blessings held up.

Morristown, NJ
              United States
              Member #172032
              January 14, 2016
              57 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2016, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Great  post! I'm sure your return will be ten-fold.

Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22978 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2016, 12:49 am - IP Logged

I have find winning Lottery Tickets before. Someone left on the counter where the play slips are. When In. buy that 4 0r 5 page scratch out . Which everybody believe we shouldn't tear it a part. It a lot of games on it. $35. Ticket. The person did all the games they saw , in the middle of the ticket is where you tear and under fold the rest of the games, it was 3 whole pages of games not scratch off it was a really nice winner. I play off that ticket for next 5 days. I found more tickets that people haven't finish. I like to get tickets that have a second chance drawing. When you can't entry the number that the state ask for it usually because the ticket is all ready a winner over looked. I found money in strange way. I stop to talk to someone at the post office in the parking lot. They left I decide I wanted stamps their was a envelope fold laying on the ground I pick it up at was full of money. I look around to see if I saw anybody it could belong to. IT was 3 people walking way a head of me going into the post office. I counted it. I believe that the person that loss it knew the exact amount. While we waited in line I start talking to two of the people out the 3 that entry the post office before. The first person finish their business & said see you later to everyone. The second person, place her order then start searching for the money.She was about to go the whole 9 yards, she had dump out her purse , she said , it all her bill money for the month including Rent. Everybody look on the floor now. She was still search , it look like she burst in to tears anytime now. Then she say the exact amount she loss. I tap on the shoulders , I told her stop looking here your money. You dropped it on the way into the post office with your friend. Since you three was the only walking in front of me I knew it had to belong to one of you. I needed one of you to said the exact amount & what else was in the envelope to return to right person. She wait for me outside to say Thank you & how many people wouldn't return it. I told her , that was not my blessing it your. I hand you back your soon my own blessings could come to me. Good karma get Good karma. I didn't want my blessings held up.

Wonderful and ty for a great post! You will be rewarded, please don't get discouraged if it's

not right away but good will come. In a world that seems so bad sometimes, I'm very happy

to see something so awesome.

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31553 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2016, 11:37 am - IP Logged

I've found  winning tickets in the trash, even though the  stores have scanning machines.  There are a few regular stores that I buy tickets from, and often get discarded tickets from the trash to enter in 2nd chance drawings.  So far, the highest win has been $25; and I certainly cannot complain since it's free money.  I've found quite a few others for $20, $10 and below.

I was coming out of a convenient store one time and looked down at the trash can as I was passing and a scratch card was laying near the top so I just bent over and picked it up & could not believe what I saw...it was a $100 winner...this was before the scanning machines were in the stores.

I started to go back in and give it to the clerk, then thought he would probably keep it for himself so I just kept it and stopped by another store and cashed it...after that I started picked up cards when I saw them and be darned if I didn't find more winners...don't do it much any longer because I think most will scan them now but had fun for awhile & it never bothered my conscience at all because I had no way of finding out who had bought them.

Something else not related to this is I was taking out trash to a dumpster we use where I live & someone had just moved & threw away a bunch of stuff & there were some books in a box right near the top at eye level so I thought hummm let me look at these books I might want one and opened one of them and there was a $20 bill in it so I opened more books with more $20 bills in them...I had a great time...found close to a $100 in those books...the people had already moved so it was too late to find them so I kept it.

One more thing about a month or so ago I was getting in my car to leave a store & one of the clerks came running out to a lady in a car & gave her a card she had left on a table in one of the booths she had been sitting in...I asked him what happened and he said she left a scratch card on the table with a $50 winner and he was passing by and picked them up to throw in the waste can and saw it and knew she was sitting there...I thought that was great of him to go give it to her as he could have kept it but chose not to...it was at a Sheetz store...they have some honest people working there!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    879 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2016, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

The last time I found a winner was about three years ago.

A woman came into the store where I was playing and scratched a $10 ticket. She didn't realize that she won, left the ticket on the counter and walked out. I picked up the ticket and it was a $10 winner.

I had also found a "Quick Draw" ticket face-down on the floor. I scanned it and it was a $12 winner.

Nothing lately though. Most people don't bother scratching the whole ticket to see if they have any matching numbers, they just uncover the bar code and scan it to see if it's a winner.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: March 18, 2016, 11:33 am - IP Logged

At a food lion I was putting out beer and found a scratched  $20 ticket. I had it scanned and it was a  $40 winner. I just went on and bought 2 more 

Seattle
                        United States
                        Member #173743
                        March 16, 2016
                        17 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2016, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Is there anyone who checks discarded tickets regularly who can give an educated guess as to what % of unvalidated tickets discarded will be winners ?

I am guessing 1.5%-2% but that is just a guess.

It started for me maybe a year ago when my state first introduced a new $30 game. This ticket has so many numbers on it that it will blow your mind. Its very very easy to not notice something. Well I liked the ticket but I wasnt trying to drop $30 on one ticket so 1 day I walked by the machine and notcied 2 discarded $30 tickets. Neither were validated ( which in my state just means scratching off the bar code and scanning it ). I took them out of the can just to look at them when I quickly noticed that one of them appeared to be a $50 winner. It had # 8 as a winning number and the #8 was also on the ticket, which the purchaser must not have noticed.

After that, I started checking tickets that did not have the bar code scratched off. I actually had a single day where I found 10 unvalidated tickets and 2 were winners - a $30 and a $50. I thought I had found a great idea. The only possible way to truly when at the lottery. I would no longer buy tickets, just check discarded, unvalidated tickets. Then I went probably 100 tickets without getting squat.

As I have kept checking tickets, its true what they say. People do throw winners away. I recently found a $20 ticket that had #24 and #24 on the bottom row. It was $25 and thrown in the can. It does really boggle the mind that people will spend $20 and $30 for 1 ticket then toss it without validating it. But hey if they are going to toss it, I would rather get the money then let the lottery keep it.

Does anyone who checks discarded, unvalidated tickets regularly have any guess how often you should expect to find a winner ? Is 1.5% reasonable or not ? TY

Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49835 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2016, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

If you're thinking of doing this on a regular basis: Learn the in's & out's of the sport:

http://www.wikihow.com/Dumpster-Dive

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
                            Ontario
                            Canada
                            Member #109243
                            April 9, 2011
                            31437 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2016, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

If you're thinking of doing this on a regular basis: Learn the in's & out's of the sport:

http://www.wikihow.com/Dumpster-Dive

Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22978 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2016, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Is there anyone who checks discarded tickets regularly who can give an educated guess as to what % of unvalidated tickets discarded will be winners ?

I am guessing 1.5%-2% but that is just a guess.

It started for me maybe a year ago when my state first introduced a new $30 game. This ticket has so many numbers on it that it will blow your mind. Its very very easy to not notice something. Well I liked the ticket but I wasnt trying to drop $30 on one ticket so 1 day I walked by the machine and notcied 2 discarded $30 tickets. Neither were validated ( which in my state just means scratching off the bar code and scanning it ). I took them out of the can just to look at them when I quickly noticed that one of them appeared to be a $50 winner. It had # 8 as a winning number and the #8 was also on the ticket, which the purchaser must not have noticed.

After that, I started checking tickets that did not have the bar code scratched off. I actually had a single day where I found 10 unvalidated tickets and 2 were winners - a $30 and a $50. I thought I had found a great idea. The only possible way to truly when at the lottery. I would no longer buy tickets, just check discarded, unvalidated tickets. Then I went probably 100 tickets without getting squat.

As I have kept checking tickets, its true what they say. People do throw winners away. I recently found a $20 ticket that had #24 and #24 on the bottom row. It was $25 and thrown in the can. It does really boggle the mind that people will spend $20 and $30 for 1 ticket then toss it without validating it. But hey if they are going to toss it, I would rather get the money then let the lottery keep it.

Does anyone who checks discarded, unvalidated tickets regularly have any guess how often you should expect to find a winner ? Is 1.5% reasonable or not ? TY

Expect to find winners in places where you see people playing frantically while watching the door and their backs.

I've seen people scratching so fast in a frenzy to quickly do the current ticket in their possession while watching 

the door, watching if anyone is approaching, watching what the next player up is buying and all the while, trying

to see if the ticket they have in their hands is a winner. These people don't validate...they can't leave the machine.

Consider yourself lucky to come in on a nut case...take their unvalidated/unscratched u-scan tickets right to the

scanner...you will most likely, find a winner. What percentage it is, I do not know but it sure can't hurt scanning

tickets that have the u-scan in tact.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557