Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Recent lottery retailer's scams - Big concern !

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 8 months ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
jolstaki's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
Hicksville
United States
Member #173508
March 5, 2016
10 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2016, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

In last couple of years, I started reading about lot of lottery scams newspapers or online news.

Most alarming thing seen in these scams are 2. Which are:

1. They are mostly done by lottery retailers.
  2. AND It looks like a well orchestrated and organised crime by specific group.

so the follow up questions which are arising in my mind are:

• Are these group doing all these scams by themselves ? They must be getting some insider help from lottery governing entity. 
  • How do I know my neighbour hood retailer is legit and not doing any scam on my tickets. 

May be each state lottery should initiate some kind of serious investigation on these types of retailer who belongs to the specific criteria / pattern.

Or else people like me will loose hope on the lottery. 

NOTE: On Point #2 ,  Sorry to sound like a racist. But it is a fact. Most of lottery scams are done same group of immigrants. GO read the scammer's names in the each and every lottery scam reports. Seriously my intention is not to blame on a group. But it looks so obvious, Really sorry if i hurt some one here.

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2016, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

In last couple of years, I started reading about lot of lottery scams newspapers or online news.

Most alarming thing seen in these scams are 2. Which are:

1. They are mostly done by lottery retailers.
    2. AND It looks like a well orchestrated and organised crime by specific group.

so the follow up questions which are arising in my mind are:

• Are these group doing all these scams by themselves ? They must be getting some insider help from lottery governing entity. 
    • How do I know my neighbour hood retailer is legit and not doing any scam on my tickets. 

May be each state lottery should initiate some kind of serious investigation on these types of retailer who belongs to the specific criteria / pattern.

Or else people like me will loose hope on the lottery. 

NOTE: On Point #2 ,  Sorry to sound like a racist. But it is a fact. Most of lottery scams are done same group of immigrants. GO read the scammer's names in the each and every lottery scam reports. Seriously my intention is not to blame on a group. But it looks so obvious, Really sorry if i hurt some one here.

I find it interesting that a lot of Mom & Pop type of retailers are owned by people of Indian origin - "Patel".  However, I personally think that the scams are by random individuals or small groups of people [2 -6 people], not highly orchestrated by organized crime, and certainly not by the state lottery itself. 

There really isn't any way to know if your neighborhood retailer is scamming, unless you notice a RED FLAG that makes you suspicious

It would take a lot of resources [Both financial and manpower]  that states don't want to spend, to randomly investigate local retailers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5586 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2016, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

First of all, I usually buy mt tics at the same store. Store is owned by folks from India. But, because I have bought my tics there for years, we have a good relationship. I trust them. I think it's a good thing to develop a relationship with where ever you buy your tics.

Second, learn to check your tickets without depending on a clerk at a store. I check mine online and know exactly how much I've won. The only time I might question my winnings is on scratchers, because some are a little confusing. But, that is rare, and in that case I just use the scanner at the store.

I think if one is diligent, there is very little chance of being scammed or cheated.

As far as retailers cheating the lottery itself, well, they eventually get caught. Then it's game over for them.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)