Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Need help with a algorithm

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 months ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
Member #59354
March 13, 2008
4093 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2016, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I am working on a tool to calculate the date for the next drawing.  I start with converting the last

7 games from Georgian to Julian format.  Next I subtract the second form the first then the third 

from the second etc..  giving me the number of days between games.  These values are stored in

the string NBD$.  This works well enough for most games but lets say that a game draws 5 days a 

week MTWTF and skips Sat and Sun.  This would create a string something like "1111311"  where

when the 5th value in the string was a "3" then I would add three days to get the next date.  I

could just chart out all the possible combinations but think it can be done with a algorithm.

The algorithm needs to be able to calculate the number of days to the next drawing from the 7

digit string regardless of drawing day sequence.  Examples MWF,  STF, etc... 

P.S.  It would be easy to store settings for each game but I don't want to go that route.  Any help 

would be greatly appreciated.  I can increase the number of variables in the string if needed.

RL

Sample of what I don't want to use.

IF NBD$="1111111" THEN julian# = julian# + 1  'EVERY DAY
IF NBD$="7777777" THEN julian# = julian# + 7  'ONCE PER WEEK
IF NBD$="3434343" THEN julian# = julian# + 4  'TWICE A WEEK
IF NBD$="4343434" THEN julian# = julian# + 3  'TWICE A WEEK

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Madison, WI
    United States
    Member #172977
    February 11, 2016
    515 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2016, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I am working on a tool to calculate the date for the next drawing.  I start with converting the last

7 games from Georgian to Julian format.  Next I subtract the second form the first then the third 

from the second etc..  giving me the number of days between games.  These values are stored in

the string NBD$.  This works well enough for most games but lets say that a game draws 5 days a 

week MTWTF and skips Sat and Sun.  This would create a string something like "1111311"  where

when the 5th value in the string was a "3" then I would add three days to get the next date.  I

could just chart out all the possible combinations but think it can be done with a algorithm.

The algorithm needs to be able to calculate the number of days to the next drawing from the 7

digit string regardless of drawing day sequence.  Examples MWF,  STF, etc... 

P.S.  It would be easy to store settings for each game but I don't want to go that route.  Any help 

would be greatly appreciated.  I can increase the number of variables in the string if needed.

RL

Sample of what I don't want to use.

IF NBD$="1111111" THEN julian# = julian# + 1  'EVERY DAY
    IF NBD$="7777777" THEN julian# = julian# + 7  'ONCE PER WEEK
    IF NBD$="3434343" THEN julian# = julian# + 4  'TWICE A WEEK
    IF NBD$="4343434" THEN julian# = julian# + 3  'TWICE A WEEK

Maybe try a computer programming thread?

United States
      Member #59354
      March 13, 2008
      4093 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2016, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Last time I looked LP does not have a programming board, sure there are plenty of programming sites

but asking for help with something lottery related won't get a reply unless it's full of negative remarks.

There are several here that have the skills and like working on these sort of problems.  What I ask here

falls well within the confines of the math forum.  May take a week or so for someone interested to take

a stab at it but I have plenty of time.  I write algorithms for this kind of stuff all the time but this one is

kicking my butt, not as simple as it looks, or maybe it is.   I may have it figured out already by reducing

or creating a second NBD$ string to include just the different values instead of all 7 digits.  The sum of 

the different values must be <= 7.  I am thinking two lines of code max and maybe it can be done with

one. 

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51218 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2016, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Check the Date for the Day of the Week. If the Drawing are Mon & Thu: If it's Mon add 3 to the Date, If it's Thu add 4 to the Date.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
          Member #59354
          March 13, 2008
          4093 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2016, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Raven

That works for games with two draws a week but I need something that will catch everything.

RL

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            4093 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2016, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I have a method if using days but in my newest program I cut the day of the week out of the database entries.

I do have a program that can calculate the day of the week from the Julian date, I guess that would solve my

problem but would like to use the new method.

RL

United States
              Member #59354
              March 13, 2008
              4093 Posts
              Posted: March 29, 2016, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

If I reduce the NBD$ string to just show the different values then the code below will catch most games.

julian#=julian#+val(right$(NBD$,1)) 

This may work for them all,  I have to think about it some more.

RL

Winner
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #155844
                May 31, 2014
                1926 Posts
                Posted: March 29, 2016, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Add Dr. Miracle to title. It'll get a lot of views.  And comments.

my name Lil Darryl   you got some Milk

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I used the following lines in a BASIC program to convert DATE$ to a day, you should be able to covert any future DATE$ into a day also with a few modifications.

1 DIM DAY$(6), MONTH$(12)
                  2 DATA "SATURDAY","SUNDAY","MONDAY","TUESDAY","WEDNESDAY","THURSDAY","FRIDAY","JANUARY","FEBRUARY","MARCH","APRIL","MAY","JUNE","JULY","AUGUST","SEPTEMBER","OCTOBER","NOVEMBER","DECEMBER"
                  3 FOR X = 0 TO 6: READ DAY$(X): NEXT X
                  4 FOR X = 1 TO 12: READ MONTH$(X): NEXT X
                  5 MO = VAL(LEFT$(DATE$, 2)): DA = VAL(MID$(DATE$, 4, 2)): YRS = VAL(RIGHT$(DATE$, 4)): A = INT((14 - MO) / 12): Y = YRS - A: M = MO + (12 * A) - 2: D = (DA + Y + INT(Y / 4) + INT(Y / 100) - INT(Y / 400) + INT((31 * M) / 12))
                  6 DD = D - 7: D = DD: IF DD >= 7 THEN 6 ELSE PRINT DAY$(DD-1); " -  "; MONTH$(MO); STR$(DA); ","; YRS

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lottolot's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                    Tanhauser Gates
                    Holy See (Vatican City State)
                    Member #139281
                    February 18, 2013
                    192 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2016, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Add Dr. Miracle to title. It'll get a lot of views.  And comments.

LOLThumbs UpI Agree!

See Ya!

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      4093 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2016, 4:43 am - IP Logged

I used the following lines in a BASIC program to convert DATE$ to a day, you should be able to covert any future DATE$ into a day also with a few modifications.

1 DIM DAY$(6), MONTH$(12)
                      2 DATA "SATURDAY","SUNDAY","MONDAY","TUESDAY","WEDNESDAY","THURSDAY","FRIDAY","JANUARY","FEBRUARY","MARCH","APRIL","MAY","JUNE","JULY","AUGUST","SEPTEMBER","OCTOBER","NOVEMBER","DECEMBER"
                      3 FOR X = 0 TO 6: READ DAY$(X): NEXT X
                      4 FOR X = 1 TO 12: READ MONTH$(X): NEXT X
                      5 MO = VAL(LEFT$(DATE$, 2)): DA = VAL(MID$(DATE$, 4, 2)): YRS = VAL(RIGHT$(DATE$, 4)): A = INT((14 - MO) / 12): Y = YRS - A: M = MO + (12 * A) - 2: D = (DA + Y + INT(Y / 4) + INT(Y / 100) - INT(Y / 400) + INT((31 * M) / 12))
                      6 DD = D - 7: D = DD: IF DD >= 7 THEN 6 ELSE PRINT DAY$(DD-1); " -  "; MONTH$(MO); STR$(DA); ","; YRS

RJ

I have something similar that I used in the past.  My new databases don't include the day of the week

but that's not a real problem as my Julian/Gregorian sub calculates them.  I spent quite a bit of time on

the sub for the purpose of speeding up the live update option as my new program includes both daily

and number games.  I think I have nine games loaded and the live updater takes several seconds to

update all 9 games.  There are several options I could use but want to make it as efficient as possible.

The little snippet of code julian#=julian#+val(right$(NBD$,1)) works well for the games I have loaded

but does not cover every possibility out there.

RL

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        4093 Posts
                        Posted: April 1, 2016, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Solved,  Since the sum of the days from one draw to the next will equal 7 in a weekly cycle all I had to

do was add a End IF statement when the sum equaled 7.  The value that brings the sum to 7 will be the 

number of days to the next drawing.  It did not take a algorithm but I thought others might find this info

useful as it should work with any game day drawing format.

RL Party