Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How can I work out these statstitics...

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 months ago by elios311.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #174029
March 31, 2016
3 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2016, 4:11 am - IP Logged

Hi

How can you work out which of these two situations give you better odds of winning the jackpot...

£10 a time on 10 lotteries

or

£100 on one lottery.

Is there a stats expert around :-)

So its the same bet, but one of the options gets you into 10 lotteries, but the other option gets 10 times more tickets on one lottery.

Simon

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
    Texas
    United States
    Member #150797
    December 31, 2013
    815 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2016, 7:11 am - IP Logged

Try this: https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/300435

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United Kingdom
      Member #174029
      March 31, 2016
      3 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2016, 9:03 am - IP Logged

thanks, interesting, but a simpler answer would be nicer.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
        Member #59354
        March 13, 2008
        3966 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2016, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Playing one line for 10 games gives you the best cost to coverage ratio.  A few years back I went

over this in great detail showing why it's so.  The difference is very small so it's not really worth

basing your play on that alone.  In a nutshell the more lines you play the better the overall odds.

If playing more than one line then go for as much coverage as your budget allows.  One simple

method to do this is to play all the numbers in the fewest lines possible.  A 5-39 can be covered

in 8 lines with only one repeat number.   Choose the numbers for each line so that they kind of

mimic the games history.  There are lottery programs / systems that can help build smarter lines

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United Kingdom
          Member #174029
          March 31, 2016
          3 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2016, 9:32 am - IP Logged

brilliant, thanks RL

I run a syndicate so i get a number of lines each time

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3966 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2016, 9:35 am - IP Logged

No problem, one tip I like to stress is to count the number of digits that make up the lines you play.

In a 5-39 matrix around 75% of all draws will have either 5 or 6 different digits.  This is a fact and

is a product of the matrix.  If 75% of all lines in the matrix have 5 or 6 different digits than so will

the drawings +/- a small deviation normally less than 1%. 

Example.

1-15-23-34-35   has 5 different digits 1-2-3-4-5

12-18-24-33-37 has 6 different digits 1-2-3-4-7-8

Each digit is counted only once regardless of the number of times it shows in a single line.

This won't guarantee you a win but it makes since to fish where most of the fish hang out.

Games with a larger matrix like PB 5-69 will move into the 6-7 total digit range.  There are 

many little things that can be done to improve ones chances but even with them all it's still

a uphill battle.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Slovenia
              Member #172924
              February 9, 2016
              46 Posts
              Posted: April 1, 2016, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Hi

How can you work out which of these two situations give you better odds of winning the jackpot...

£10 a time on 10 lotteries

or

£100 on one lottery.

Is there a stats expert around :-)

So its the same bet, but one of the options gets you into 10 lotteries, but the other option gets 10 times more tickets on one lottery.

Simon

Calculate the average odds of winning the jackpot among those 10 lotteries, then compare those average odds with the odds of that specific lottery that you intend to spend 100 on (assuming you don't care about the jackpot prize value but only intend to win). If not all tickets cost the same, things get complicated. You can also just post the jackpot odds of those 10 lotteries and I or whoever reads this will do it for you.