Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating a Post# designation for posts on a thread.

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 8 months ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
541 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2016, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if its not too much work to have a post# label for every post on a thread?  So If I want to footnote, I would say, see what Todd said on page 4

post # 32.   Of course the page number can differ based on the settings the user chooses, but the post # would always be sequential, and make it easier for

people to find a certain interesting, educational or amusing post.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49693 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if its not too much work to have a post# label for every post on a thread?  So If I want to footnote, I would say, see what Todd said on page 4

post # 32.   Of course the page number can differ based on the settings the user chooses, but the post # would always be sequential, and make it easier for

people to find a certain interesting, educational or amusing post.

Why not use the Permalink?

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/246686

https://www.lotterypost.com/search/forums?q=permalink&t=all

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #165541
      April 12, 2015
      541 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2016, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

A permalink I think still only gives you the thread.  You still have to search for the post.

Thanks for the response raven.  This is what Todd said.

It certainly would be possible, although I am uncertain as to the benefits.  In fact, it might be considered a negative, when people start refering to "reply #101", rather than posting a permalink to the post they're talking about.  When you give someone the reply number, that means if they want to see it, they have to hunt it down, and that is not easy on a thread with many replies.

Dont they still have to hunt it with the permalink?

It might be easier to hunt with a post #.  Considering that certain poster may post multiple times on a thread.  A post designation could possibly save time.

Take for instance one of KOLA posts.  He might post three times in a permalink.  Each post taking about three hours to get through.

I could possibly save 6 hours by knowing that its page 6, Kola post 3.  After page 6, Kola post 1, and 2, I am going to definately need a nap.

When I wake up I just might give up looking if its going to be this hard!!!

In fact, it might be considered a negative,

Who might be considering this as negative? 

they have to hunt it down, and that is not easy on a thread with many replies.

Thats the point.  If the thread has many replies, a post designation might be more easy for hunters who are left valuable clues.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49693 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2016, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

A permalink I think still only gives you the thread.  You still have to search for the post.

It certainly would be possible, although I am uncertain as to the benefits.  In fact, it might be considered a negative, when people start refering to "reply #101", rather than posting a permalink to the post they're talking about.  When you give someone the reply number, that means if they want to see it, they have to hunt it down, and that is not easy on a thread with many replies.

It might be easier to hunt with a post #.  Considering that certain poster may post multiple times on a thread.  A post designation could possibly save time.

Take for instance one of KOLA posts.  He might post three times in a permalink.  Each post taking about three hours to get through.

I could possibly save 6 hours by knowing that its page 6, Kola post 3.  After page 6, Kola post 1, and 2, I am going to definately need a nap.

Thats the point.  If the thread has many replies, a post designation might be more easy for hunters who are left valuable clues.

How to find the Permalink for each post in a thread: Look/Click to the left of: Posted: Today, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

This is the Permalink for your post: https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/302014/4556287

This is the Permalink for my repy to your OP: https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/302014/4556158

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2016, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

No "hunting" for a post is necessary with a permalink.  You click the link and it brings you directly to the post the person referenced, no matter what page it's on.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            541 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2016, 3:13 am - IP Logged

How to find the Permalink for each post in a thread: Look/Click to the left of: Posted: Today, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

This is the Permalink for your post: https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/302014/4556287

This is the Permalink for my repy to your OP: https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/302014/4556158

Thanks Raven!  I never new that.  Always learning something new on LP.