Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When is a winning ticket considered your income?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 7 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
Green Bay
United States
Member #169391
October 15, 2015
1249 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2016, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Once you reach 21 you'll start having life experiences that teach you about such things.

Hey bud.  I'm older than you so stop posting crap.  It was an interesting topic in my opinion.  So STFU.  OK?

Never give up.  Banana

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    917 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2016, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

That's an interesting scenario indeed. I'm guessing the court determined the lottery ticket to be marital property because it was purchased during the time period when the couple where still legally married?

Unless he could prove that she was against playing the lottery and had no earnings during that time.  However, a smart man would have never let anyone know that he had won the lottery.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
      Member #172415
      January 23, 2016
      3795 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2016, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

Hey bud.  I'm older than you so stop posting crap.  It was an interesting topic in my opinion.  So STFU.  OK?

U probably nearing your end :P so old :P

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2016, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

If you bought a winning  lottery ticket in December 2015 and didn't turn it in until January 2016, is that considered 2015 or 2016 income?  I would guess 2015 but technically you don't have the money until 2016.

Having six months to cash the ticket means a player could easily pass the April 15 filing deadline. And according to this site:

The time you actually draw income from your lottery winnings starts the tax clock. You report your winnings on your tax return in the year you receive them. You will get a W-2G form showing how much you were paid and how much was withheld. Like with your W-2 form from work, attach the W2-G to your tax return when you file.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3475 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2016, 3:20 am - IP Logged

OK but not long ago I remember a news story about a couple who were going through a divorce.  The man won some money in the lottery but held the ticket until after the divorce.  After the divorce, he cashed it, she found out about it and won a percentage through a court action.  How is that possible?

As others have said, the ticket was clearly a joint marital asset. She owned a share as soon as he bought it, and was entitled to her share of the prize once it was paid. Waiting to claim the prize was no different than already having the prize money and not admitting it.

As far as taxes, they're based on constructive receipt. You can potentially claim the prize as soon as you can get to the lottery office and fill ot a claim form, but the ticket isn't worth anything before the lottery verifies that it's a winning ticket. You probably still don't have constructive receipt until sometime after that. If they take another 2 weeks to check to see if you owe money to the government or have past due child support you can't get the money, they're not going to authorize payment until they're done and satisfied. Until being paid is an absolute certainty you don't have constructive receipt.

You can look here for some light reading on the subject: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1418784.html

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49835 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2016, 3:57 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your advice: You should take your own advice!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Green Bay
              United States
              Member #169391
              October 15, 2015
              1249 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2016, 11:10 am - IP Logged

U probably nearing your end :P so old :P

Not quite bigmouth.  Just old enough to know better.  Don't worry about me, just concentrate on losing your money on the lottery.  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                Member #172415
                January 23, 2016
                3795 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2016, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Not quite bigmouth.  Just old enough to know better.  Don't worry about me, just concentrate on losing your money on the lottery.  LOL

No son I don't play so how can I lose but when I do I end up winning bye loser :DD

Green Bay
                  United States
                  Member #169391
                  October 15, 2015
                  1249 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2016, 8:36 am - IP Logged

No son I don't play so how can I lose but when I do I end up winning bye loser :DD

You don't play the lottery?  LOL!  Thats why you call yourself lottoking huh?  Bye bye kid.

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                    Member #172415
                    January 23, 2016
                    3795 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2016, 10:36 am - IP Logged

You don't play the lottery?  LOL!  Thats why you call yourself lottoking huh?  Bye bye kid.

STFU SON

Green Bay
                      United States
                      Member #169391
                      October 15, 2015
                      1249 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

STFU SON

Last post to you lottoqueen.  Grow up.

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                        Member #172415
                        January 23, 2016
                        3795 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2016, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Last post to you lottoqueen.  Grow up.

STFU KID

Arizona
                          United States
                          Member #165073
                          March 24, 2015
                          220 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2016, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

That's an interesting scenario indeed. I'm guessing the court determined the lottery ticket to be marital property because it was purchased during the time period when the couple where still legally married?

If it's the case I'm remembering, the judge determined that he had acted in bad faith by concealing the ticket (a valuable asset, though not "income" yet) during divorce proceedings, and awarded the entire prize to the wife.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            879 Posts
                            Posted: May 1, 2016, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

If you bought a winning  lottery ticket in December 2015 and didn't turn it in until January 2016, is that considered 2015 or 2016 income?  I would guess 2015 but technically you don't have the money until 2016.

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be that the proceeds from that 2015 ticket cashed in 2016 would be 2016 income.

Lottery proceeds are treated differently than a pay check or commission earned.

The timing of taxes is based upon “constructive receipt”.  It’s just that constructive receipt does not happen before you receive your prize. 

Party

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot