Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Does Powerball Find the Grand Prize Winner Address When Listing it for the Media?

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 8 months ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171587
January 10, 2016
19 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2016, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Even though its a problem I wish I had, I purchase my Powerball tickets in one of the many states that unfortunately publicly list the Powerball Grand Prize Winner which is almost guaranteed to cause any winner problems. What I am wondering though is that because there are over 20 people with my first and last name living in my City, how do they exactly list the neighborhood/town you live in. Specifically I live in the suburbs of my City. Do they take the name of my suburb from my current drivers license on file? I'm asking this because I can easily get a new drivers license listing a new town from the one that I live in. At least this way if I won, it would be a lot harder to track me down as the lottery winner. While I'd be moving anyway before I claimed a lottery prize at least this way it would buy me more time from getting bothered.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
    Upstate NY
    United States
    Member #174656
    May 5, 2016
    837 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2016, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Even though its a problem I wish I had, I purchase my Powerball tickets in one of the many states that unfortunately publicly list the Powerball Grand Prize Winner which is almost guaranteed to cause any winner problems. What I am wondering though is that because there are over 20 people with my first and last name living in my City, how do they exactly list the neighborhood/town you live in. Specifically I live in the suburbs of my City. Do they take the name of my suburb from my current drivers license on file? I'm asking this because I can easily get a new drivers license listing a new town from the one that I live in. At least this way if I won, it would be a lot harder to track me down as the lottery winner. While I'd be moving anyway before I claimed a lottery prize at least this way it would buy me more time from getting bothered.

They probably include address when you fill out the paper work to claim it and then check the address listed and your name to make sure they know exactly who is the winner.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2016, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

On one of The Learning Channels' lottery documentaries they interviewed a jackpot winner from New Mexico.

He said he was getting bags of mail everyday addressed to:

Lottery Winner

New Mexico

and the post office told him since they knew who he was and where they had to deliver them.

So don't count on winning a jackpot and buying more time from getting bothered.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.