Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So, what would you do?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 6 months ago by Uluska.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
Member #65961
October 11, 2008
162 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2016, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

One of the things that irritates me is how the media always says that most lottery winners go broke in 5 years.

That is so not the truth!

Most lottery winners you never hear from because they are living their lives, enjoying their wealth and staying out of the media.  You don’t hear from them because there is nothing to report.  They have their winnings and they simply move on with living (just in a higher tax bracket).

The ones who end up in the news are the ones who are reckless with their winnings!

And the reckless ones that we know about do not outnumber the total number of people who have won lottery jackpots since the games began (state games as well as national).  These people have managed to maintain their wealth quietly, and away from the media. 

So my question is:“What would you do?”

Let’s start with a $40 million lump sum minus 39.6% in taxes

(I know some folks only play when the jackpot is over $100 million but the lump sum on $40 million is $26,500,000.00 and that is more than you could make on your job. I choose the lump sum because that is the most popular choice).

I am using the 39.3% in taxes because the initial 25% is not enough; you will owe an additional 14.6% in taxes…which means your take home (if you don’t owe state taxes) is:

$16,006,000.00

How much would you set aside to never touch, just collect interest?

How much would you invest?

How much would you spend on home, car, insurance, pay off debts and add to retirement? (you can give an estimated figure for all )

Would you start a private foundation? If so, how much would you put aside for the foundation?

How much would you give to family and friends?

Here is an example, (remember, this is just an example):

$16,006,000.00

$ (2,650,000.00)

Tithe**

$ (3,000,000.00)

Foundation

$10,356,000.00

Balance

$ (2,240,000.00)

14k to 20 people for 8 years

$ 8,116,000.00

$ (3,116,000.00)

Home, car, debts, insurance, add to retirement

$ 5,000,000.00

Gov’t bond at 2.85% = $142,500.00 in interest

With this example you can see how fast the money dwindles down but you still have $5 million untouched.

(If you want to use more then the $40 million suggested here, go to the previous results page on PB or MM and pick a jackpot amount this interest you). 

Granted, should you ever win a lottery jackpot, you would be meeting with financial advisors on all of this.  But I am curious to see what you guys come up with by doing your spending on paper.

Anyone want to give it a shot?

**I put the tithing in there as I know there are folks who love their church and would want to tithe 10% pre-tax to support ministries (food pantry, mission trips, youth group, benevolance, etc.) Checks and balances should be in place to hold any organization accountable that receives fundings. 

Nonetheles, if this does not pertain to you, no worries, I am still interested in what you would do.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7314 Posts
    Posted: May 8, 2016, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

One of the things that irritates me is how the media always says that most lottery winners go broke in 5 years.

Most lottery winners you never hear from because they are living their lives, enjoying their wealth and staying out of the media.  You don’t hear from them because there is nothing to report.  They have their winnings and they simply move on with living (just in a higher tax bracket).

The ones who end up in the news are the ones who are reckless with their winnings!

And the reckless ones that we know about do not outnumber the total number of people who have won lottery jackpots since the games began (state games as well as national).  These people have managed to maintain their wealth quietly, and away from the media. 

(I know some folks only play when the jackpot is over $100 million but the lump sum on $40 million is $26,500,000.00 and that is more than you could make on your job. I choose the lump sum because that is the most popular choice).

I am using the 39.3% in taxes because the initial 25% is not enough; you will owe an additional 14.6% in taxes…which means your take home (if you don’t owe state taxes) is:

$16,006,000.00

How much would you spend on home, car, insurance, pay off debts and add to retirement? (you can give an estimated figure for all )

Would you start a private foundation? If so, how much would you put aside for the foundation?

$16,006,000.00

$ (2,650,000.00)

Tithe**

$ (3,000,000.00)

Foundation

$10,356,000.00

Balance

$ (2,240,000.00)

$ 8,116,000.00

$ (3,116,000.00)

$ 5,000,000.00

With this example you can see how fast the money dwindles down but you still have $5 million untouched.

(If you want to use more then the $40 million suggested here, go to the previous results page on PB or MM and pick a jackpot amount this interest you). 

Granted, should you ever win a lottery jackpot, you would be meeting with financial advisors on all of this.  But I am curious to see what you guys come up with by doing your spending on paper.

**I put the tithing in there as I know there are folks who love their church and would want to tithe 10% pre-tax to support ministries (food pantry, mission trips, youth group, benevolance, etc.) Checks and balances should be in place to hold any organization accountable that receives fundings. 

Nonetheles, if this does not pertain to you, no worries, I am still interested in what you would do.

They probably say "most lottery winners go broke" for the same reason they say many professional athelets will go broke; slow news day.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: May 8, 2016, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

That's not so different from the thought process I've gone through.  I like to start with a 50 million jackpot, cash about 33 mil, after state and federal taxes, $18,150,000.

No tithe, but I would use 10% to start a foundation to give to food banks, homeless shelters and animal shelters.

Existing mortgage and debt paid off of course. New car, $30k.

$2 million allocated for my dream house plus a condo or town house in 2 other locations. $4 million allocated for future taxes, insurance, upkeep on the real estate.

$4 million for personal gifts to a few people.

The remaining invested conservatively and budgeted to draw on over 40 years.

United States
        Member #65961
        October 11, 2008
        162 Posts
        Posted: May 8, 2016, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

They probably say "most lottery winners go broke" for the same reason they say many professional athelets will go broke; slow news day.

"Slow news day"...come to think about it that is probably why they do it LOL

United States
          Member #65961
          October 11, 2008
          162 Posts
          Posted: May 8, 2016, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

That's not so different from the thought process I've gone through.  I like to start with a 50 million jackpot, cash about 33 mil, after state and federal taxes, $18,150,000.

No tithe, but I would use 10% to start a foundation to give to food banks, homeless shelters and animal shelters.

Existing mortgage and debt paid off of course. New car, $30k.

$2 million allocated for my dream house plus a condo or town house in 2 other locations. $4 million allocated for future taxes, insurance, upkeep on the real estate.

$4 million for personal gifts to a few people.

The remaining invested conservatively and budgeted to draw on over 40 years.

I totally agree with the conservative investing (I actually thought that was Cynthia Stafford's original plan...oh well).

KinG666BLaZe's avatar - 0a8b35e0e00bea02881544e8fa633303

United States
            Member #174708
            May 8, 2016
            24 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2016, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

$16,006,000.00

$16,006,000.00

$ (2,650,000.00)

Tithe**

$ (3,000,000.00)

Foundation

$10,356,000.00

Balance

$ (2,240,000.00)

$ 8,116,000.00

$ (3,116,000.00)

$ 5,000,000.00

Seems like im not the only one who knows about market safe government bonds and you found them at a .85% higher rate nice.  Im putting the majority in treasury bonds and living off interest. I am never going broke and my future kids will want for nothing lol

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
              Upstate NY
              United States
              Member #174656
              May 5, 2016
              757 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2016, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

$16,006,000.00

$16,006,000.00

$ (2,650,000.00)

Tithe**

$ (3,000,000.00)

Foundation

$10,356,000.00

Balance

$ (2,240,000.00)

$ 8,116,000.00

$ (3,116,000.00)

$ 5,000,000.00

I'd pay off all my student loans, and all of my families, and some of my best friends. I'd then buy my dad a new car and a house either in Florida where my grandmother lives or in Portland Oregon my dream location. Everything else i would put aside to collect interest for a few years as i learn how to invest it and use the stock market. The only donations i would make would be to reduce my tax bill as much as i can and I'll make it to the Freedom from Religion Foundation and/or other atheist advocacy groups that qualify as charitable donations.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1649 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2016, 12:28 am - IP Logged

These are some very good investment ideas and this is what it's going to take in order to successfully retain wealth. Merely putting such money into a 'generalized account' will do nothing but allow one to see it gradually eaten up in recurrent taxation. Money is designed to be put to work and circulated, not sitting still. This kind of money will cost you if it sits idle and draws interest on other than Municipal Bonds, I believe. The idea is to reduce both the tax amount and keep the funds active which will yield a true disposable income without worries.

To each their own but, I feel that just giving out tons of money to everyone you can think of may present a problem in the long run. Immediate family and those friends I consider responsible with money but, are just strapped would be my first recipients of 'their lottery.' The best thing to do is to free them from all their overhead so they can actually save the bulk, if not all, of their money. That's a lottery in and of itself in my opinion. To give a lot of money away only to watch it frivolously ripped through by someone else is something the winner can do without any help. It's great to give but, giving greatly without wisdom might come back to haunt.

Matthew 25:14-30 The Parable of the Three Talents

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
                  Member #65961
                  October 11, 2008
                  162 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2016, 12:52 am - IP Logged

These are some very good investment ideas and this is what it's going to take in order to successfully retain wealth. Merely putting such money into a 'generalized account' will do nothing but allow one to see it gradually eaten up in recurrent taxation. Money is designed to be put to work and circulated, not sitting still. This kind of money will cost you if it sits idle and draws interest on other than Municipal Bonds, I believe. The idea is to reduce both the tax amount and keep the funds active which will yield a true disposable income without worries.

To each their own but, I feel that just giving out tons of money to everyone you can think of may present a problem in the long run. Immediate family and those friends I consider responsible with money but, are just strapped would be my first recipients of 'their lottery.' The best thing to do is to free them from all their overhead so they can actually save the bulk, if not all, of their money. That's a lottery in and of itself in my opinion. To give a lot of money away only to watch it frivolously ripped through by someone else is something the winner can do without any help. It's great to give but, giving greatly without wisdom might come back to haunt.

Matthew 25:14-30 The Parable of the Three Talents

Hi LL!!!

These answers are very insightful and helpful.

It is nice to know that folks on here actually have a game plan. (You mentioned municipal bonds which I totally forgot about.)

You also mentioned "the idea is to reduce both the tax amount and keep the funds active which will yield a true disposable income without worries"

I think that statement is the key to maintaining wealth for every person who comes into sudden money; it should be the main goal

And finally the scripture Matt 24:14-30 says it all...

Thanks for the feedback!

United States
                    Member #65961
                    October 11, 2008
                    162 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2016, 1:04 am - IP Logged

I'd pay off all my student loans, and all of my families, and some of my best friends. I'd then buy my dad a new car and a house either in Florida where my grandmother lives or in Portland Oregon my dream location. Everything else i would put aside to collect interest for a few years as i learn how to invest it and use the stock market. The only donations i would make would be to reduce my tax bill as much as i can and I'll make it to the Freedom from Religion Foundation and/or other atheist advocacy groups that qualify as charitable donations.

Hey, some student loans are so high that it will take a jackpot to pay them off....Yes Nod

I read one article that said if you win the lottery and still have debt after you've spent all your money, you should not be surprised if you get

no sympathy from family or friends. ( No lottery jackpot winner should ever have debt after they win).

Thanks so sharing!

United States
                      Member #65961
                      October 11, 2008
                      162 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2016, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Seems like im not the only one who knows about market safe government bonds and you found them at a .85% higher rate nice.  Im putting the majority in treasury bonds and living off interest. I am never going broke and my future kids will want for nothing lol

Hi Kin!

I found the information about the rate on one of the money websites when the PB jackpot broke the record earlier this year.

Some of those website actually give advice as oppose to the same lame " you'll have better chance getting hit by lighting" crap.

(Trying to discourage people with the odds of winning does nothing to sales, because every person that buys a ticket is thinking somebody has to win....)

Thanks for the feedback:)

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2016, 1:53 am - IP Logged

I've been hearing the bit about most winners losing it all for a very long time, and I've got no reason to think it's not, or at least wasn't, more or less accurate. Bear in mind that in the past most jackpots were quite small by today's standards, and they didn't make you rich, thought a lot of people thought they did. That made it even easier for people to lose it all than it is for those who win today's (mostly) larger jackpots. I now that some people  have managed to lose enormous fortunes, but I have a hard time comprehending the type of stupidity required to lose $10 million or more. You're not wildly rich with $10 million, but it's certainly a point at which you should be able to retire and live very comfortably for a long life.

As for a game plan, I've got a fairly simple  template that works for any amount of money, and works about the same way a reverse mortgage does. I figure there's a fairly good chance I'll live to 100, so I can't run out until then (I don't have kids, so I've got less reason than some to leave an estate  when I die). I figure a 3% rate of return, though history suggest that it will be better than that, and I figure a 3% rate of inflation, calculating an income that increases every year to maintain the same spending power. Those rates tend to have a bit of a relationship, so that if inflation turns out to be higher the available rate of return is also likely to be higher, providing a bit of conservatism for my basic assumptions. I figure that aging also results in a bit of conservatism, since I'll probably become less active as I get older, and won't need to spend as much on travel and recreation. There's also some conservatism in the reduced income taxes that will result as I start relying more on remaining principal and less on the taxable income produced by the principal. Finally there's still more conservatism in that I'm not accounting for social security or the inheritances I can expect at some point.

Those underlying assumptions would need to be evaluated on a regular basis, to see if they need to be changed. As I get closer to 100 I'll have a better idea of how likely I am to get there. As medical science advances I may decide that the income needs to last longer,  or I  may decide that it's safe to spend it faster if I want to. It's possible that I'll decide a higher or lower rate of return can be used for planning, and I might decide I should use a different rate of inflation.

Based on that I can calculate an annual income that should maintain pace with inflation, and last as long as I'm likely to live. Since it's a simple math formula it works for any amount of money, regardless of the source. It works just as well for real investments as it does for imaginary investments from winning the lottery. All I have to do is stick to a budget that matches the initial investment, just like I do while working for my income.

That all means I don't have a budget that specifies a particular amount for land, housing, or travel. I've got to  take care of the minimum necessities, but after that what I do depends on what I've got to work with. More land, to some fairly large limit, is always a good thing, but I don't need much house. I can get by very well with 2000 SF as long as I've also got at least a 2 car garage and a shed or modest barn. Anything much bigger becomes more unnecessary obligation, so no amount of money would make me buy the ridiculous McMansions some  people are fond of posting. A car is just a box on wheels to get me and my stuff from here to there, and a simple minivan is very practical (and doesn't attract attention). I'm happy with travel around the country in a modest RV, and time is the most important resource for that sort of travel. I'm fond of trips to the tropics, so those have always tended to increase as my resources increase.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                          Upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #174656
                          May 5, 2016
                          757 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2016, 2:55 am - IP Logged

Hey, some student loans are so high that it will take a jackpot to pay them off....Yes Nod

I read one article that said if you win the lottery and still have debt after you've spent all your money, you should not be surprised if you get

no sympathy from family or friends. ( No lottery jackpot winner should ever have debt after they win).

Thanks so sharing!

Not some, Most. I'm at a PUBLIC university and i'm graduating a semester early and i'm gonna walk out with $80,000 in loans. With interest accumulated through college and after college, i'll need to pay $12,000 a year in student loan payments. I really need a jackpot.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            878 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2016, 3:52 am - IP Logged

$16,006,000.00

$16,006,000.00

$ (2,650,000.00)

Tithe**

$ (3,000,000.00)

Foundation

$10,356,000.00

Balance

$ (2,240,000.00)

$ 8,116,000.00

$ (3,116,000.00)

$ 5,000,000.00

What would I do? hmmmmmm

First off, I live in NYC, so besides federal tax of 39.6%, I would also have NY State and City taxes as well. Unhappy  I would be left with about 52% after all taxes.

Cash value is $26.5 mil less 48% = $13.78 mil which I would share 50/50 with my brother. That leaves $6.89 mil.

With this little amount remaining, I think I would not be as charitable as if I won a bigger jackpot, but some will benefit from my gains. 

I think I would keep at least $5 mil to invest and live off of. When I'm gone, my kids can share what's left.

Party

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

KinG666BLaZe's avatar - 0a8b35e0e00bea02881544e8fa633303

United States
                              Member #174708
                              May 8, 2016
                              24 Posts
                              Posted: May 9, 2016, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I seriously hate those articles man. I once got tricked in to reading one lol. Those numbers you mentioned are they pre tax. The ones where you said you could expect 145,000  off of a 5 million dollar bond? those are same <snip> good numbers. I always got 185,653.94 dollars net off of a 9,999,999 dollar bond.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.