Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What airport terminals sell lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 6 months ago by WinWinChicDin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
Member #106923
February 27, 2011
476 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I purchased online lottery tickets (Powerball, MegaMillions, and a state game) from a vending machine while in a Georgia airport terminal (SAV).  I was also in Ohio (DAY), and North Carolina (CLT) terminals but didn't notice anywhere tickets could be purchased.  I was just wondering how many states have lottery sales at airport terminals.  It seems like a win win for the lottery.  Since many purchasers might be out of state, it seems logical they would not claim the bulk of winning tickets, i.e. small prize amounts.  I personally have not claimed small out of state prizes because it does not seem worth the effort (though I know I should and could just mail them).  Certainly seems like a good avenue to pursue on the revenue end of lotteries, and provides a way for players who may be on a layover and cannot leave the terminal to play the local games.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49642 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:25 am - IP Logged

They All Do: Sold under the Name: Flight Travel Insurance!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
      Member #131594
      August 14, 2012
      171 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I purchased online lottery tickets (Powerball, MegaMillions, and a state game) from a vending machine while in a Georgia airport terminal (SAV).  I was also in Ohio (DAY), and North Carolina (CLT) terminals but didn't notice anywhere tickets could be purchased.  I was just wondering how many states have lottery sales at airport terminals.  It seems like a win win for the lottery.  Since many purchasers might be out of state, it seems logical they would not claim the bulk of winning tickets, i.e. small prize amounts.  I personally have not claimed small out of state prizes because it does not seem worth the effort (though I know I should and could just mail them).  Certainly seems like a good avenue to pursue on the revenue end of lotteries, and provides a way for players who may be on a layover and cannot leave the terminal to play the local games.

I've purchased tickets at these airports:

Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)

Chicago-O'Hare (ORD)

Miami (MIA)

Toledo (TOL)

Atlanta (ATL)

Detroit (DTW)

Denver (DEN)

Baltimore (BWI)

It was a mix of purchase options with some being vending machines and others being retail stores. I agree that it is smart for those states to have something at the airport.  I bet those places pick up a lot of impulse sales.

Lotto Lucy

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
        Member #106923
        February 27, 2011
        476 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:37 am - IP Logged

They All Do: Sold under the Name: Flight Travel Insurance!

Oh thanks a lot Raven, make me think about that!  "Hey honey guess what, good news and bad news.  I bought last nights winning ticket at the airport.  The bad news is the pilot just told us we should pull the seat cushion from our seats and hold it close to the chest".  Scared

United States
          Member #106923
          February 27, 2011
          476 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I've purchased tickets at these airports:

Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)

Chicago-O'Hare (ORD)

Miami (MIA)

Toledo (TOL)

Atlanta (ATL)

Detroit (DTW)

Denver (DEN)

Baltimore (BWI)

It was a mix of purchase options with some being vending machines and others being retail stores. I agree that it is smart for those states to have something at the airport.  I bet those places pick up a lot of impulse sales.

Thanks Lucy.  I'll be in Atlanta and Chicago in a few weeks.  I'll pay attention.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1506 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2016, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Lottery Places. Free Ap for iphone, android, windows. I see it below the USAMEGA icon.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49642 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2016, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Oh thanks a lot Raven, make me think about that!  "Hey honey guess what, good news and bad news.  I bought last nights winning ticket at the airport.  The bad news is the pilot just told us we should pull the seat cushion from our seats and hold it close to the chest".  Scared

The Bad News: I bought Flight Travel Insurance!

The Good News: The pilot just announced to pull the seat cushion from our seats and hold it close to our chests."

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                877 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

$217 Million Jackpot: Powerball Winner Buys Ticket From Machine at Richmond International Airport

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49642 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2016, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Google comes thru again!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    877 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2016, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Google comes thru again!

No, not Google....MEMORY!

I read the story at powerball.com a few years ago and remembered the part about the machine in the airport. I had to search for it, but it was with good ole BRAIN power. :-P

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      643 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2016, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Dave Honeywell bought his winning ticket in one in VA I think, can't remember how much he won but it was a very big jackpot 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23259 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2016, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

No, not Google....MEMORY!

I read the story at powerball.com a few years ago and remembered the part about the machine in the airport. I had to search for it, but it was with good ole BRAIN power. :-P

Too bad you didn't remember the Lottery Post story.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                          Member #170707
                          December 13, 2015
                          185 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2016, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

This is an excellent thread question!Sun Smiley

I don't travel much, but you can buy in Miami, FL airport (although you have to HUNT for it)

Tampa, FL has a small lotto terminal and Atlanta Georgia has 2 big lotto terminals which are very very busy.

United States
                            Member #106923
                            February 27, 2011
                            476 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2016, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

Too bad you didn't remember the Lottery Post story.

Ok, Todd I have to ask... Do you really remember these stories off the top of your head?  I clicked the link and AFTER reading the story did faintly recall it, but nothing was clicking in the noggin beforehand.  Is hyperthymestic syndrome at hand, or does your ability to recall come from beyond comprehension of modern man.  Alien theorists' say yes.

Roll Eyes

United States
                              Member #106923
                              February 27, 2011
                              476 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2016, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

This is an excellent thread question!Sun Smiley

I don't travel much, but you can buy in Miami, FL airport (although you have to HUNT for it)

Tampa, FL has a small lotto terminal and Atlanta Georgia has 2 big lotto terminals which are very very busy.

Considering a person has to arrive at major airports about 6 hours ahead of time now to make sure they get through the checkpoint before their flight leaves, I think I'll have time to search for them.  Thud