Welcome Guest
You last visited August 19, 2017, 8:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

South Carolina Cash5

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
4026 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2016, 5:39 am - IP Logged

I'm traveling to South Carolina next week.  I was planning on playing SC Cash5 while there.  But I just saw something on the SC Education Lottery's website that makes me wonder if I should even bother to play the game.

They rarely have a a jackpot winner!  As for a JP winner with the Power Up option, well, that's rare too.  Is the coverage so poor (players don't play the game much at all) that they hardly ever sell any JP winners? 

What's going on in SC with this game?????  Anybody know?  Thanks!  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    4026 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2016, 8:07 am - IP Logged

I'm traveling to South Carolina next week.  I was planning on playing SC Cash5 while there.  But I just saw something on the SC Education Lottery's website that makes me wonder if I should even bother to play the game.

They rarely have a a jackpot winner!  As for a JP winner with the Power Up option, well, that's rare too.  Is the coverage so poor (players don't play the game much at all) that they hardly ever sell any JP winners? 

What's going on in SC with this game?????  Anybody know?  Thanks!  G5

I think I've answered my own question. 

The answer lies in the population of South Carolina, which is 4.8 million people.  Obviously not all 4.8 million of those people are adults aged 21 or over.  Of the adult population, not all adults are lottery players.  I don't know what the exact number of lottery players in South Carolina is, but I'd be willing to bet it's around one million.  That doesn't translate into a lot of ticket sales, so you bet Cash5 has a coverage problem. 

That said, I'm going to play the game. Just because there aren't many jackpot winners does NOT mean that I cant win one.  However many JP winners there are or aren't has no bearing on whether or not someone wins a JP. 

A 5/5 match in SC wins $100,000.  BUT!  If I played the same line 3 times and those three lines won a JP, then I'd win $300,000. If I purchased the Power Up option (I'm going to do that) and the Power Up number was 3, then I'd win $900,000 before taxes. Based upon what I saw on the website, I think that very thing may have happened this year.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5248 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2016, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

GF:      Dancesaye>>>>>>>                                                             

Go 4it>>>>>>>SC is listed A+ (100% all balls) state according too>>>>>>>Lottery Post report card>>>>>>>Party 

Go 4it>>>>>>>100+ ticket$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$GIVE$IT$YOUR$BEST$HOT$>>>>>>>Puke$$$

collegem$'s avatar - ts
        Disney Land
        United States
        Member #92265
        June 3, 2010
        7382 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2016, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

G5,

Are you a regular player of the New York Take5 game?

I like your signature. Makes me believe you know how it feels to win a jackpot? I was wondering. If you don’t mind, do you have recommendation on a book about the game of 5? You seem to do your research. I just thought I would ask? But, you don’t have to reply. Thank you.

Gl to you in SC and It’s game.

Wear cute pajamas to bed...because you never know who you will meet in your dreams.

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
          Member #142686
          May 17, 2013
          97 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2016, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I live in SC. Its very religious here too.  I get comments a lot when i play about how i shouldnt buy tickets or play, ect.  I also get lectures, esp from older ladies about how its wrong.  And if its not a lecture its a look.

i just ignore them. 

Oh sweetheart, you are throwing away your money.  Oh dear, dont play that.  Such a young lady shouldnt play the lottery... And on and on

Sometime even the clerks have comments lol

There are players here, but the lottery isnt that popular overall from what i see.  Rarely is there a line when i go in to get my tickets. Which is great because i dont have to wait in long lines when the jackpots are higher :)

NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            4026 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2016, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

G5,

Are you a regular player of the New York Take5 game?

I like your signature. Makes me believe you know how it feels to win a jackpot? I was wondering. If you don’t mind, do you have recommendation on a book about the game of 5? You seem to do your research. I just thought I would ask? But, you don’t have to reply. Thank you.

Gl to you in SC and It’s game.

Yes, I play Take5 quite a bit,  but I've never won a jackpot.  Best I've ever done was four out of five. 

As for a book about a game of 5, I have a copy of Gail Howard's Lottery Master Guide.  I found it very informative.  The biggest drawback to it is that Gail does a lot of selling of her other books/software in it.  I also have her software, Advantage Plus, which works "hand in glove" with much of what's in The Guide. 

But to tell you the truth, I learned the most about Take5 from a column that appears in a New York publication called Lotto News.  It comes out every other week here in NY, and it's mostly about NY's online games, but they do have good info on MegaMillions and PowerBall too.  The columnist that writes the Take5 column is a former high school math/statistics teacher, and he really knows his stuff. He's very good at explaining things in plain English. G5   

collegem$'s avatar - ts
              Disney Land
              United States
              Member #92265
              June 3, 2010
              7382 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I play Take5 quite a bit,  but I've never won a jackpot.  Best I've ever done was four out of five. 

As for a book about a game of 5, I have a copy of Gail Howard's Lottery Master Guide.  I found it very informative.  The biggest drawback to it is that Gail does a lot of selling of her other books/software in it.  I also have her software, Advantage Plus, which works "hand in glove" with much of what's in The Guide. 

But to tell you the truth, I learned the most about Take5 from a column that appears in a New York publication called Lotto News.  It comes out every other week here in NY, and it's mostly about NY's online games, but they do have good info on MegaMillions and PowerBall too.  The columnist that writes the Take5 column is a former high school math/statistics teacher, and he really knows his stuff. He's very good at explaining things in plain English. G5   

GiveFive,

Gail Howard’s book I have one. I need to pull it out of a dark corner. I bought it moons ago when nothing made cents to me. So, it went on the back in the closet. Maybe, now, it won’t sound or be so foreign.

I might soon find me a way to read Lotto News.

Thanks a bunch for sharing.

GL luck with all the Five.

In All the right places.

Wear cute pajamas to bed...because you never know who you will meet in your dreams.

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                4026 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2016, 6:15 am - IP Logged

GiveFive,

Gail Howard’s book I have one. I need to pull it out of a dark corner. I bought it moons ago when nothing made cents to me. So, it went on the back in the closet. Maybe, now, it won’t sound or be so foreign.

I might soon find me a way to read Lotto News.

Thanks a bunch for sharing.

GL luck with all the Five.

In All the right places.

Lotto News and it's sister publication Lotto Stats can be found on The Lotto News website.  Lotto Stats is published every other week just like Lotto News.  So every week, a new issue of one or the other appears on newsstands here in NY and on their website.  If you Google Lotto Stats, their website will come right to the top of the search list. It's got all the details about the two magazines that you may want to know. The Take5/pick 5 columnist I like to read (and who taught me so much about pick5 games) is Urban Kress. 

When I first got a copy of The LMG, I sat down and read it, and I did find it helpful, but it really kicked in after I bought Howard's software, Advantage Plus.  It's not that I'm trying to push/sell "A+" or any of Howard's products for that matter, because I bought and use other lottery software as well.  I like A+ simply because when I sit down at my computer with a copy of The LMG, and have A+ up on my screen, a lot that's in The LMG becomes very clear.  There's an awful lot to absorb in The LMG.  What I do, is refer back to it from time to time. There was no way it all sank in when I first read it. And I would add that by reading Lotto News/Stats regularly and re-reading The LMG from time to time, it still took me a couple of years to gain most of the knowledge I have today.  It didn't happen over night.  It probably took me a s long as it did because yours truly aint exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer!  G5 

collegem$'s avatar - ts
                  Disney Land
                  United States
                  Member #92265
                  June 3, 2010
                  7382 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2016, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Lotto News and it's sister publication Lotto Stats can be found on The Lotto News website.  Lotto Stats is published every other week just like Lotto News.  So every week, a new issue of one or the other appears on newsstands here in NY and on their website.  If you Google Lotto Stats, their website will come right to the top of the search list. It's got all the details about the two magazines that you may want to know. The Take5/pick 5 columnist I like to read (and who taught me so much about pick5 games) is Urban Kress. 

When I first got a copy of The LMG, I sat down and read it, and I did find it helpful, but it really kicked in after I bought Howard's software, Advantage Plus.  It's not that I'm trying to push/sell "A+" or any of Howard's products for that matter, because I bought and use other lottery software as well.  I like A+ simply because when I sit down at my computer with a copy of The LMG, and have A+ up on my screen, a lot that's in The LMG becomes very clear.  There's an awful lot to absorb in The LMG.  What I do, is refer back to it from time to time. There was no way it all sank in when I first read it. And I would add that by reading Lotto News/Stats regularly and re-reading The LMG from time to time, it still took me a couple of years to gain most of the knowledge I have today.  It didn't happen over night.  It probably took me a s long as it did because yours truly aint exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer!  G5 

GiveFive,

Thank you for your additional insight.

About the knife, when you really need a spoon, I say, “Try the fork.”

and the butter knife may give a smooth spread.

United States
                    Member #132100
                    August 26, 2012
                    1219 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2016, 3:22 am - IP Logged

The answer lies in the population of South Carolina, which is 4.8 million people.  Obviously not all 4.8 million of those people are adults aged 21 or over.  Of the adult population, not all adults are lottery players.  I don't know what the exact number of lottery players in South Carolina is, but I'd be willing to bet it's around one million.  That doesn't translate into a lot of ticket sales, so you bet Cash5 has a coverage problem. 

That said, I'm going to play the game. Just because there aren't many jackpot winners does NOT mean that I cant win one.  However many JP winners there are or aren't has no bearing on whether or not someone wins a JP. 

A 5/5 match in SC wins $100,000.  BUT!  If I played the same line 3 times and those three lines won a JP, then I'd win $300,000. If I purchased the Power Up option (I'm going to do that) and the Power Up number was 3, then I'd win $900,000 before taxes. Based upon what I saw on the website, I think that very thing may have happened this year.  G5

Here on Texas you would be very lucky to get $15,000 on a jackpot win on the TxCash5 game and if you have 3 or 10 lines with the same winning number you get pay the same as if you only had 1 line.

Texas might be big, but most jackpot games here stink, the only one that it is not so bad is the Tx2Step.

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      4026 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2016, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Here on Texas you would be very lucky to get $15,000 on a jackpot win on the TxCash5 game and if you have 3 or 10 lines with the same winning number you get pay the same as if you only had 1 line.

Texas might be big, but most jackpot games here stink, the only one that it is not so bad is the Tx2Step.

I've checked out a few states Pick5 prize tiers and compared them to NY's Take5. I've found a lot of similarity, but I didn't look at Texas. In comparison to NY, you're right, TxCash5 does stink.

Actually Palmetto Cash5 in South Carolina is pretty good compared to other Pick5's.  I haven't seen a "Power Up" option in any Pick5 like there is in South Carolina.  A player could win a million dollars under the right set of circumstances.  Best Pick5 I've seen (and played) is The Massachusetts Lottery's Mass Cash.

Mass Cash has got a 5/35 matrix (324,632 to 1 odds) and it's NOT parimutuel.  So if I bought five lines of the same set of five numbers, and all five were drawn, I'd win $500,000.  (Top prize for a 5/5 is $100,000) Early this year a woman in Abington Mass played 10 lines of the same set of five numbers.  She won a million dollars doing that. G5

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        4026 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2016, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Forget everything I said above.  Population?  Hell no!!

I just got back from SC.  I played Palmetto Cash5 all week and managed to hit three numbers on one line I played.  I had quite a few two out of five hits too. It was after I had a 3 out of 5 that I realized why players in SC don't play the game.  It's the pitiful lower tier prizes.  A 3 out of 5 pays 5 bucks!!  UNLESS... you bought the Power UP.  If you bought it, you could win $25, provided the Power Up number was 5, which it rarely ever is.  It's usually 2, and it was 2 the night I had three numbers, so I won 10 bucks. 

When I looked at The SC Education Lottery's website, I noticed that more players who won had bought The Power Up than those who did not buy it.  At that point I realized that SC is basically forcing players to buy The Power Up. If you don't, you sure aren't going to win much.  Buying The Power Up costs an extra buck per line.  So the game isn't really a one dollar per line game, it's a two dollar per line game.   G5