Welcome Guest
You last visited August 21, 2017, 12:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Am I Better Off Buying 4 Mega Million Tickets at $4 than 2 Powerball Tickets at $4 assuming Grand

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171587
January 10, 2016
19 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2016, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Prizes are the same or Powerball is less? Assume they are all quick picks. Unless the Powerball Grand Prize is substantially larger am I better off always buying 4 Mega Million tickets instead of 2 Powerball tickets? Chump prizes under $100 are irrelevant to me.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    6472 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2016, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Prizes are the same or Powerball is less? Assume they are all quick picks. Unless the Powerball Grand Prize is substantially larger am I better off always buying 4 Mega Million tickets instead of 2 Powerball tickets? Chump prizes under $100 are irrelevant to me.

Right now MM has the biggest jackpot. But..... if you don't consider a million dollars chump change, PB's second prize odds are better than MM's second prize odds.

Also, if you play the powerplay/megaplier, then MM has the potential to have a second prize as high as 5 million. PB is "only" 2 million with the powerplay.

Me???

I just play one line on both with powerplay/megaplier.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Chasing the Dream.
      Utopia- California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4538 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2016, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Since both have astronomical odds- should you put $4.00 down for each and  end up winning either one, only then will you have your answer.Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Portland, OR
        United States
        Member #145973
        August 20, 2013
        227 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2016, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I only buy buy Powerball when it gets over $200M and not always.  Too expensive.  Better off buying more MegaMillion chances to win with that money.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

LA Ca.
          United States
          Member #172750
          February 3, 2016
          93 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2016, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I only buy buy Powerball when it gets over $200M and not always.  Too expensive.  Better off buying more MegaMillion chances to win with that money.

i buy 1 PB until it hits $200M, then 2 tickets until it hits $300M, 3 until it hits $400M, then 4 up to $500M & no more than 5 after that.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23835 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2016, 7:57 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3392 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2016, 8:57 am - IP Logged

If I had $4 I would buy one mega millions ticket with megaplier and pocket the rest or one powerball ticket with powerplay and pocket the rest.  But since mega is up their right now I would buy one ticket with megaplier and save the $2 for friday's drawing of next week.-weshar75

US Flag

wander73's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
                Philadelphia, PA
                United States
                Member #153774
                March 24, 2014
                2349 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2016, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

You don't sound like you're too smart about what you're going to buy.  My advice is to check out what I've seen on this website as far as people picking up numbers and see what happens.  Unlike 90% of people out there who fight over machine I just wait and don't buy as much. 

You're better off with mm.  However I have a feeling that they're going to raise the price as well.

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                  Ny
                  United States
                  Member #167314
                  July 5, 2015
                  1827 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

They both have different odds.. I mainly focus on mega unless the powerball is up really high.. but the $2 dollars can be costly playing tickets so i dont favor powerball because both games are big jackpots anyway.. i'd take 4 mega millions tickets every draw sometimes 3

Simplify..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar Ops.

Wink

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    909 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2016, 7:59 am - IP Logged

With a budget of $4 per draw, I would buy one Powerball and two Mega.

You have to be in it to win it.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot