Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why such restricted hours to buy tickets?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 6 months ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #106134
February 13, 2011
806 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2016, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Is it the same everywhere?

It seems like every state I visit you can only buy tickets between 5am and 11pm. 

This is extremely inconvenient to me since I'm pretty much tied up during those hours.

What's the reasoning behind this besides hurting their own sales and making it very inconvenient to play?

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1648 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2016, 10:46 am - IP Logged

It seems like every state I visit you can only buy tickets between 5am and 11pm. 

This is extremely inconvenient to me since I'm pretty much tied up during those hours.

What's the reasoning behind this besides hurting their own sales and making it very inconvenient to play?

jj, I'm just a tad bit confused and maybe I'm not reading it correctly either. The window you illustrate here is (18) hours and it would seem that you'd be able to get your tickets 'somehow' be it on the way to work, a lunch break, or after. I'm not saying that you're not a very busy person at all but, that's a lot of time to just stop and grab tickets...especially if you're into QP's. I'm probably missing something here and, if so, my bad. 

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
      Member #152892
      February 28, 2014
      28 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2016, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Here it's 4:45am to 1:00am for lotto tickets from vending machines(WA state)...

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2016, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

That's a pretty large window for you to not be able to buy lottery tickets.

Gonna win.Big Smile

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40402 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2016, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Hit With Stick

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1275 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2016, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I always figured they did it to perform regular and necessary maintenance on the computers, just like any other.  Defrag, back up, scan disk for errors, etc.  Stop and think about the sheer volume of data they receive and send each and every day.   They probably shut them down at night as a cost-cutting measure and if it was running during that time, they'd need someone there to keep an eye on it. 

You're only person I've ever heard complain about not being able to purchase a lottery draw ticket in the middle of the night. ( I can buy a scratch ticket at any time, but can't cash one if the system is offline)  I've worked some long hours and different shifts and always could find time to do the things I had to do, even if it put me out a little bit.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
             - George Orwell

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
              Lower MI
              United States
              Member #94546
              July 22, 2010
              247 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2016, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

I always figured they did it to perform regular and necessary maintenance on the computers, just like any other.  Defrag, back up, scan disk for errors, etc.  Stop and think about the sheer volume of data they receive and send each and every day.   They probably shut them down at night as a cost-cutting measure and if it was running during that time, they'd need someone there to keep an eye on it. 

You're only person I've ever heard complain about not being able to purchase a lottery draw ticket in the middle of the night. ( I can buy a scratch ticket at any time, but can't cash one if the system is offline)  I've worked some long hours and different shifts and always could find time to do the things I had to do, even if it put me out a little bit.

Agreed- I have never heard any one complain about not being able to 'play' say at 3am !

You can still buy tickets from machines in MI 24/7 - just not the draw games.. 
              Everyone is allowed downtime...

United States
                Member #106134
                February 13, 2011
                806 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2016, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Yeah I don't get it, it should be 24 hours.  I'm over across the river in IL sometimes very late at night and have wanted to buy tickets in a "can't lose" state instead of a "can't win" state.  I just worry they'll make the hours even more restrictive everywhere, like make it to where you can only buy tickets between 10:00 and 11:00am for example.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49699 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2016, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Hit With Stick

ROFL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #104962
                    January 23, 2011
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2016, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Yeah I don't get it, it should be 24 hours.  I'm over across the river in IL sometimes very late at night and have wanted to buy tickets in a "can't lose" state instead of a "can't win" state.  I just worry they'll make the hours even more restrictive everywhere, like make it to where you can only buy tickets between 10:00 and 11:00am for example.

That makes sense.  Why aren't you running a blog on here?  You can shut off comments on blogs  for "civility" at least.

Trump 2016!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2016, 10:45 am - IP Logged

ROFL

Ditto ! ROFL ROFL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1513 Posts
                        Posted: June 2, 2016, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Use the Search box and type in 182641  This Canadian is suing because his ticket was seven seconds too late.

mikeintexas makes a good case of why you cannot buy tickets at all hours.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10350 Posts
                          Posted: June 2, 2016, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Remember s movie with Rodney Dangerfield and Joe Pesci where they were in a van and wanted to get something to eat?

They said "Let's go to Pop's (diner), got there at 11 PM just when the door closed and a sign was put on the door -

"OPEN 23 HOURS."

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5593 Posts
                            Posted: June 3, 2016, 8:27 am - IP Logged

If you "worry" about the hours you can buy tickets are going to be made more restrictive, you must have a pretty easy life.

The hours I can buy tix are the least of my worries.

Making the hours between 10:00 and 11:00am (I'm assuming you mean 10:00am and 11:00) is not going to happen. I'm sure they want people to buy tix, but 99.9999999% buy during normal hours.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19825 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2016, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio you can buy MM tickets any time the stores are opened until 15 minutes before the drawings unless the store decides to close its terminal.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking