Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions rolls $9M ($251M to $260M)

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 6 months ago by fja.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2016, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I figured it would have rolled to at least $270M, but nope, $9M roll. LOL

Gonna win.Big Smile

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2016, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Lame!

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2016, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Powerball has at least a $10 million rollover even at $40 mil. I know the tickets for MM are only a buck but from $251 mil to $260 mil is pathetic. That said, I'm still going to buy some tickets cause $260 mil is plenty for me.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19823 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2016, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Powerball has at least a $10 million rollover even at $40 mil. I know the tickets for MM are only a buck but from $251 mil to $260 mil is pathetic. That said, I'm still going to buy some tickets cause $260 mil is plenty for me.

PowerBall is guaranteed to roll at least $10M after each drawing regardless of its ticket sales as described in its game rules and MegaMillions is only guaranteed $5M.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
          Member #93164
          June 23, 2010
          1322 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2016, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

That's the smallest rise ever! However, they raised the cash option by $10.5 million from $162.8 to $173.3 million!

I hope that one $2 ticket is the only one that matches all 5 numbers plus the Powerball to win the largest Powerball Jackpot in United States history of over $2 Billion Dollars!

md
            United States
            Member #14047
            April 20, 2005
            579 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2016, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, in all of my years of playing Jackpot Games, this was really an eye opener that it was so small.  But I would take the $9mil or the $260 mil.  I already have my usual 15 tickets for Tuesdays draw.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #21206
              September 4, 2005
              949 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2016, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

What's even worse about this low rollover amount that it occurred after a record number of draws.   We certainly are no where near a record jackpot, even for Megamillions.    The previous record jackpot in MM came in less than 20 draws.

They went too far, they worsened the odds significantly while representing that they were improving the odds of "winning" (actually the odds of not losing) and they assumed that by reducing the value of the ticket they would increase sales.

Moreover, they made the probability of winning something reassuring, like say $7 next to impossible as well.  The reinforcement those "Almost!" jackpots give players probably play a significant role in people's pyschology of buying tickets.

Sales fell through the floor, and they're probably all surprised.  Duh...

The game is very badly designed.

It started with the $2 Powerball ticket.   They increased the monetary sales for that game, but destroyed the other game in the process, and since states play both games, the net profit has decreased, with the exception of the $1.5B jackpot.

However that Jackpot may never be repeated.   Powerball is taking a longer time to get there and I predict that it will peter out as well for many of the same reasons.

United States
                Member #172415
                January 23, 2016
                3795 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2016, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Mega looks rigged to me watching its draws in YouTube but Powerball seems real clear and good quality video drawings

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                  Member #91
                  January 19, 2002
                  11927 Posts
                  Posted: June 6, 2016, 6:15 am - IP Logged

I think they lost the crowd when they all but eliminated a chance to winning the 2 place million dollars!!!

Currently this years second place totals stand at:

Mega Millions = 52 second place winners 

Powerball=      198 second place winners

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields