Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much is "life changing"?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 5 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How large a win would it take to be life changing for you?

$50,000 [ 4 ]  [5.41%]
$100,000 [ 3 ]  [4.05%]
$500,000 [ 4 ]  [5.41%]
$1,000,000 [ 9 ]  [12.16%]
$2,000,000 [ 3 ]  [4.05%]
$3,000,000 [ 7 ]  [9.46%]
$5,000,000 [ 12 ]  [16.22%]
$10,000,000 [ 9 ]  [12.16%]
$20,000,000 [ 4 ]  [5.41%]
$50,000,000 [ 19 ]  [25.68%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
Karate-1's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
Masachussetts
United States
Member #164165
February 20, 2015
19 Posts
Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

5 million for me...if you know to manage money that can go a looong way.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
    Upstate NY
    United States
    Member #174656
    May 5, 2016
    755 Posts
    Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Cash, after taxes, is what I asked about in my opening post for this thread, hoping to leave out discussion of different tax rates and advertised annuity values.  Cash value, what you would have left to invest & spend, is what matters.

His math would still be wrong, very wrong.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
      Marquette, MI
      United States
      Member #20541
      August 20, 2005
      705 Posts
      Posted: June 8, 2016, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

No matter how many different ways I run the numbers I come up with $25,000,000 cash after taxes plus $5,000,000 in "squandering bucks".

So, that would be $30,000,000.

The only reason I don't play for the Jackpots below the $120,000,000 annuity on MM and $700,000,000 annuity on PB is because they raised the

odds so fricken high.

I used to play all the time but they just kept getting ungrateful and making the games harder to win.

I play MM for JP or 2nd prize and I play PB for the JP.

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
        Member #131594
        August 14, 2012
        171 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2016, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I got bored and started reading some very old threads. One surprised me, in how much disagreement there was in how large a win needed to be in order to be considered "life changing".

What's your magic number? ( cash, after taxes )

For discussion, what does "life changing" mean to you?

I picked $3 million.  That would be enough for a secure, middle class retirement right now if we wanted.

Lotto Lucy

Canada
          Member #172267
          January 19, 2016
          18 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2016, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I voted 1 million.  That's enough for me to buy a really nice house in cash and get a great headstart on my retirement savings. With that amount I'd still have to work but it could be part time work for both me and my husband which is all I would need.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
            Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            877 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2016, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I voted 1 million.  That's enough for me to buy a really nice house in cash and get a great headstart on my retirement savings. With that amount I'd still have to work but it could be part time work for both me and my husband which is all I would need.

I would like a really nice house and a really nice (not extravagant) car too, but I don't want to have to work anymore. Isn't that what we play for? We want to win enough to be able to afford the finer thing in life and not ever have to punch a time clock ever again.

$1 million might be a good start (pay off bills, buy a house, car etc) but, that won't be enough to support a life-style down the road.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
              Member #141034
              April 2, 2013
              1408 Posts
              Posted: June 12, 2016, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

$100 million after taxes. I don't exist in a vacuum. $50 million for me and the rest to help uplift some of the good people I know that don't seem to catch a break.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Arkansas
                United States
                Member #175301
                June 9, 2016
                67 Posts
                Posted: June 12, 2016, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

$5 million. I would pay off the mortgage and pocket the rest to live off the interest

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: June 12, 2016, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

5k a month would be good enough

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3051 Posts
                    Posted: June 12, 2016, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I bought a ticket for mega millions on tuesday night so I will go with anything mega millions wants to give me off my ticket.  If it is $2 or higher I will be pleased either way.-weshar75

US Flag

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                      Happy California
                      United States
                      Member #157856
                      August 2, 2014
                      1515 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2016, 7:13 am - IP Logged

I bought a ticket for mega millions on tuesday night so I will go with anything mega millions wants to give me off my ticket.  If it is $2 or higher I will be pleased either way.-weshar75

US Flag

I Agree! and time to celebrate Party

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1092 Posts
                        Posted: June 13, 2016, 10:08 am - IP Logged

US Flag

Theme of the article is how much is life changing so you would be happy with anything higher than $2?

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #152799
                          February 25, 2014
                          1092 Posts
                          Posted: June 13, 2016, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I Agree! and time to celebrate Party

I won $5 on the last draw so it's kind of hard to celebrate with that amount.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4108 Posts
                            Posted: June 13, 2016, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

l chose $20 mil after all taxes are paid. That's my # to cover present & future expenses. Final word though-as John Lennon once sang " you may say lm a dreamer.... I say : Let's win first then start dreaming!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: June 14, 2016, 9:28 am - IP Logged

So, if I were to check back with you, say six months after you won (only) 10 million, your life would be esentially the same as it is today?  Same type of work, same day to day routine? Living in the same town?

IKR?  There are a couple wealthy people on this thread if their lives are so good that it would require that much money to completely change it.

I mean, I understand WANTING more.  If I had my choice I'd win 5 billion.

But a mere 10 million (cash after taxes) would easily allow me to retire.  That's definitely life changing right there.  It would also allow me to upgrade my home by 2 or 3 steps up the rung ($700K buys a really nice home in a good area here), allow me to buy a summer home, allow me to go on a couple really nice vacations per year, allow me to buy good season tickets to the local NCAA football games including a couple extra for friends who otherwise couldn't afford to go, allow me to upgrade my car and buy 2 or 3 if I want.  Plus all the little stuff, nicer clothes, higher quality food, faster computers and connections, people to clean/landscape/shovel snow, not worry what will happen if my roof leaks or furnace dies or car breaks down.  I wouldn't even have to shop for the best prices to replace or fix them.  Just call someone and spend my time doing hobbies or something I enjoy.

Seriously, that's not enough to change everyone's life who's ever posted here?  Apparently some people would consider it only enough to be able to invest more money into buying more lottery tickets so they could win a prize worth winning.