Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best way to buy?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 6 months ago by wallyjay.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #140884
March 29, 2013
45 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2016, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

My NY group needs about 20 scratch off tickets of $10 each value as prizes for an upcoming event.  Is it better to buy 20 of one $10 type in a consecutive strip of tickets, buy 20 $10 tickets from different locations or buy 2 whole packs of $1 tickets and give each person 10 $1 tickets as a prize?  Would any strategy work better at having winners?

Sunglasses's avatar - nicebear
    Zaperlopopotam
    Belgium
    Member #173932
    March 26, 2016
    973 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Don't waste your time entering twenty shops.

South Carolina
      United States
      Member #18322
      July 9, 2005
      1707 Posts
      Posted: June 15, 2016, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

My NY group needs about 20 scratch off tickets of $10 each value as prizes for an upcoming event.  Is it better to buy 20 of one $10 type in a consecutive strip of tickets, buy 20 $10 tickets from different locations or buy 2 whole packs of $1 tickets and give each person 10 $1 tickets as a prize?  Would any strategy work better at having winners?

People aren't likely to win anything with $1 scratch offs, except maybe $1 back.  You stand a better chance of winning some money with $10 Scratch Offs.  If you can afford it, spread your money around by buying different $10 Scratch Offs [different games].  It doesn't really matter about the store location.  Research the particular Scratch Off game first, to see what the outstanding prizes still are, before purchasing scratch offs in a game that has been open for too long.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
        Marquette, MI
        United States
        Member #20541
        August 20, 2005
        705 Posts
        Posted: June 15, 2016, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

You are most likely asking people who have not won!  I haven't won big but that wont stop me from offering an opinion.

Look on the NY official lottery website and make sure you buy tickets for which there are still top prizes available.

You don't want to buy tickets that have all the top prizes gone where they could only get maybe  the third or fourth prize of $1000.

They should at least still have the Top prize available for the tickets you buy.

If it were me I would be tempted to buy 4 each of 5 different tickets if there are 5 different available. If not buy several from how many ever kinds there are.  If one store does not have all the kinds then obviously you would need to go to more than one store but buying 20 of the same ticket from 20 different stores seems pretty pointless.

Remember the winning tickets are pre printed and you cant win the top prize unless you are buying tickets from the pack that the top prize ticket is in.  So, the multiple store strategy would only make sense if you went to every store in the state that sold that kind of ticket and bought one ticket from every store!

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3707 Posts
          Posted: June 15, 2016, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Last year I ran a pool at work that had a full pack of $5 NY Lottery scratch off tickets as the top prize. (100 tickets were included in the pack which was wrapped in clear cellophane.)

When I purchased the entire pack of tickets, the big thing I learned was that the tickets had to be "activated" (by the retailer) because if they weren't, any prizes won could not be claimed.  This is done to protect retailers.  If a store was burglarized and an un-opened pack was stolen, the thieves couldn't win any money because packs are not activated until they're ready to be put in a display case for sale. (Not to mention it would lead law enforcement authorities right to whomever stole them!) If you're not planning on buying a full pack, this wouldn't be anything you need to be concerned about.

While I don't know how you plan to award prizes, I found that having a full unopened pack of $5 scratch offs was a powerful motivator towards selling all 100 squares in the pool.  Each square costs 5 bucks, so I re-grouped the initial $500 that I fronted to buy the entire pack. I didn't have to front the money, I could have simply sold all 100 squares, and then gone and bought the pack, but it sure was a lot of fun seeing the expressions on peoples faces when I showed them the pack! 

I should add that I made sure that I bought a pack of tickets for a game that had very recently been introduced, so I knew that top prizes were available.

The guy that won the pool told me he won approximately $220 in winning tickets from the pack.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23275 Posts
            Posted: June 15, 2016, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

new york
              United States
              Member #63828
              August 9, 2008
              179 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2016, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

You are most likely asking people who have not won!  I haven't won big but that wont stop me from offering an opinion.

Look on the NY official lottery website and make sure you buy tickets for which there are still top prizes available.

You don't want to buy tickets that have all the top prizes gone where they could only get maybe  the third or fourth prize of $1000.

They should at least still have the Top prize available for the tickets you buy.

If it were me I would be tempted to buy 4 each of 5 different tickets if there are 5 different available. If not buy several from how many ever kinds there are.  If one store does not have all the kinds then obviously you would need to go to more than one store but buying 20 of the same ticket from 20 different stores seems pretty pointless.

Remember the winning tickets are pre printed and you cant win the top prize unless you are buying tickets from the pack that the top prize ticket is in.  So, the multiple store strategy would only make sense if you went to every store in the state that sold that kind of ticket and bought one ticket from every store!

If the top prizes are gone on any instant scratch off then they would be taken off the shelves immediately in every store. At least in NY anyway.

new york
                United States
                Member #63828
                August 9, 2008
                179 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2016, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

It would be best to purchase 20 consecutive tickets, as the odds are that there will most likely be at least 3-4 winners.

I would go with the Set for Life $10.00 tickets, those are the most popular.

As for buying 2 whole packs of $1 tickets, I wouldn't do it. And besides, each pack would cost $250.00, whereas you'd be spending only $200 for 20 of the $10 tickets.

Good luck with the upcoming event!! Cheers

United States
                  Member #140884
                  March 29, 2013
                  45 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2016, 3:57 am - IP Logged

What do you think of that new $10 scratch off called 25-50-100? According to the website there are over 400,000 winning tickets avail but they of course haven't all been distributed to the stores yet. 

How about that Hit $600? I've never won anything on that game though they claim to have a lot of winning tickets. Thank you.