Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying an entire roll of NY Scratch offs that offer a one million prize

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Funtimz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
227 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2016, 7:06 am - IP Logged

What is the cost for this?  I imagine it depend on the cost of the individual ticket.  So if the tix cost $5, $10 or may go as high as $20 what would be the cost of those rolls individually? I guess how many in a roll too...

For ones who have done this, what was your outcome?

Is it better to buy off of newer tickets or tickets with the most remaining one mill prizes left?

May do this as an "experiment" with family members...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3685 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2016, 8:39 am - IP Logged

What is the cost for this?  I imagine it depend on the cost of the individual ticket.  So if the tix cost $5, $10 or may go as high as $20 what would be the cost of those rolls individually? I guess how many in a roll too...

For ones who have done this, what was your outcome?

Is it better to buy off of newer tickets or tickets with the most remaining one mill prizes left?

May do this as an "experiment" with family members...

I bought a full unopened pack of The New York Lottery's $5 scratch offs which cost $500.  (100 in a pack)

They served as the prize for a "100 square" pool I ran at work.  I bought a newly introduced scratch off game, so I was pretty sure that there were top prizes still available.

The guy who won them told me he won a total of $210 dollars. He actually won $200 because he bought two squares of the 100 squares in the pool.  Each square cost participant's $5. 

The only other thing I can add to this is that the pack must be "activated" by the retailer just prior to selling them.  That's done to protect retailers and The Lottery against theft.  If a store was broken into and an unopened pack of scratch offs was stolen, the thief could not scratch and cash any winners because the tickets were not activated.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
      Member #165244
      March 30, 2015
      227 Posts
      Posted: June 20, 2016, 9:22 am - IP Logged

So it sounds like the winning rate is still about half of what you would spend.  And thanks for the info about being sure they are activated...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...