Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your point of view... Fate or stacking your chances?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Tatototman65.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Ohio
United States
Member #175608
June 25, 2016
32 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2016, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Sorry if this comes off as too obvious of a question to anyone...Just looking to get some responses from you guys here.

When it comes to playing for a large jackpot during any given week, for example tonight's powerball... Do you simply just look at it as "ill play one ticket, and if it's my time, it's my time?

Or do you feel you need to play multiple lines anytime you can in order to have your best chance?

I fall into this trap as of late, where I tell myself I'll just grab a ticket early in the day and let it be, but then if I'm hanging out of passing a gas station or something in the evening I start thinking I should grab another line or two before the drawing. 

How about you guys here?

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2016, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Sorry if this comes off as too obvious of a question to anyone...Just looking to get some responses from you guys here.

When it comes to playing for a large jackpot during any given week, for example tonight's powerball... Do you simply just look at it as "ill play one ticket, and if it's my time, it's my time?

Or do you feel you need to play multiple lines anytime you can in order to have your best chance?

I fall into this trap as of late, where I tell myself I'll just grab a ticket early in the day and let it be, but then if I'm hanging out of passing a gas station or something in the evening I start thinking I should grab another line or two before the drawing. 

How about you guys here?

Multiple Lines !!!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5591 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2016, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

How about you guys here?

Personally, I almost always buy just one line. I'm sometimes tempted to buy 5 or 10 lines, especially after a bad day at work. But, I remind myself that if I do that, I'm buying those tix out of frustration.

I've been running a small pool at work for over 6 years. Each draw I buy at least 8 lines for MM, or 4 lines for PB (there are 8 of us right now). We rarely win anything, though the previous 2 draws we did win $5. The most money we won was $100, twice on PB, and that was 4 or 5 years ago before the last matrix change.

So, when I think about buying a lot of tix for myself, I remind myself of the odds, and the fact that our pool doesn't win more than I do. The odds are just astronomical, and you can't buy enough tix to really make that much of a difference.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
        Oregon
        United States
        Member #168137
        August 17, 2015
        124 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2016, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I typically only buy one, but on occasion, if I have already bought my ticket for the upcoming drawings and I am at the grocery store and get a few dollars change back, I will stop by the little machine and get a another ticket or two. Lately with both that MM, PB, and Oregons Megabucks jackpots all being so high, I've had 3 tickets or so for the last few drawings for each that I got on separate trips to the store.

Sometimes I feel optimistic enough that one ticket is all you need if its your time, but right now I would really like a new truck and to move, so lottery daydreams are in overdrive right now. Another few lines makes me feel like maybe my odds improve ever so slightly. Although, I cant say that Ive had any success whem buying multiple tickets. Usually when I have a few, I win nothing, and when I've only gotten one, I'll win the minimum prize once every other week-ish.  Alas- I still have hope for more someday!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3047 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2016, 8:12 am - IP Logged

I like to buy jackpot trio for my money's worth because it is a $2 QP oregon megabucks with kicker and a $2 QP mega millions with megaplier and a $3 QP powerball with powerplay for $7.  I will usually buy it on tuesday and thursday of each week to stay in the game.-weshar75

US Flag

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
            Member #138729
            February 4, 2013
            2867 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2016, 9:03 am - IP Logged

How about you guys here?

"When it comes to playing for a large jackpot during any given week, for example tonight's powerball... Do you simply just look at it as "ill play one ticket, and if it's my time, it's my time?

Or do you feel you need to play multiple lines anytime you can in order to have your best chance?"

My opinion-

All you need is one ticket. It's going to be a winner or it's going to be a loser. Either way, it's your money.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
            MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
            Click me
            Open to EVERYONE- Click me

CALI
              Afghanistan
              Member #118735
              November 6, 2011
              134 Posts
              Posted: June 26, 2016, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Our Group has played about 80,000 Lines in the last 5 years and no major winners.

maybe someday...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

South Carolina
                United States
                Member #18322
                July 9, 2005
                1704 Posts
                Posted: June 26, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

"When it comes to playing for a large jackpot during any given week, for example tonight's powerball... Do you simply just look at it as "ill play one ticket, and if it's my time, it's my time?

Or do you feel you need to play multiple lines anytime you can in order to have your best chance?"

My opinion-

All you need is one ticket. It's going to be a winner or it's going to be a loser. Either way, it's your money.

Smile

All you need is one ticket to win, however, you must have the RIGHT 5 numbers on the same line on your one ticket. If you can't narrow it down to the RIGHT 5 numbers on the same line, then that's why you play more than 5 numbers [wheeled] on multiple lines, hoping that at least one of your Combinations will contain All 5 winning numbers on the same line. >>> Thus, Multiple Lines  for PB  & MM  &  all other Jackpot type games [Lucky for Life] !!!

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                  Member #138729
                  February 4, 2013
                  2867 Posts
                  Posted: June 26, 2016, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

All you need is one ticket to win, however, you must have the RIGHT 5 numbers on the same line on your one ticket. If you can't narrow it down to the RIGHT 5 numbers on the same line, then that's why you play more than 5 numbers [wheeled] on multiple lines, hoping that at least one of your Combinations will contain All 5 winning numbers on the same line. >>> Thus, Multiple Lines  for PB  & MM  &  all other Jackpot type games [Lucky for Life] !!!

Again, either way, it's your money. When you realize how many states sell tickets, how many people buy tickets, and how many drawings it can take before there's a winner, you start to ask yourself, "Do I really need to buy more than 1 ticket?" Sure, that 5th line may be the line in which it is 'your time,' but so can the 250 millionth line.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
                  MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
                  Click me
                  Open to EVERYONE- Click me