Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are Quick Picks Somewhat Rigged as You Have a Better Chance Winning at a 7 Eleven than a Gas Station

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 5 months ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171587
January 10, 2016
19 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2016, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Admittedly I don't have facts to support this and I doubt they are obtainable but I am convinced that: 1. Quick Pick Number Allocations are more Random at a larger type place like a 7 Eleven than some 2. small convenience store at a Gas Station where I think the Quick Picks are less random (a smaller series of random numbers allocated). It seems a bunch of larger places always seem to have more Grand Prize Winners who used Quick Picks than these smaller places. What do you think? Is this nonsense? This is something I've just casually observed online over the years. I do find it very interesting that Lottery's do not make transparent that the random numbers available for Quick Picks Generated are not 100% generated by all the available numbers.

Ohio
    United States
    Member #175608
    June 25, 2016
    32 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2016, 7:09 am - IP Logged

I'm interested in this line of thinking... I have actually been most curious about the locations which sell the tickets. I always wonder if it ever matters where your quick picks are purchased.

Its supposed to be entirely random so honestly it shouldn't matter where quick picks are bought... However I always wonder about the winners, and what time of day they bought the ticket?...was it just a one play?...where did they buy it, beverage store, large grocery store, ect...

i would just like to hear things from winners like that.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1502 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2016, 7:20 am - IP Logged

It's just not a fair game.  I don't think the size of the store matters at all.  The game is just not tollally random.  For me the excitement/frenzy is gone, because the next day you know that the same places will have the winning tickets.  Last night powerball game, guess where the winning second tier winners live, 2 in mmmmmmm, California and 1 in W. Virginia.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5593 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2016, 8:28 am - IP Logged

Geez........

Think, real hard! About these numbers. Nothing else but these numbers. Here goes.

1 in 258,890,850  MM

1 in 292,201,338  PB

Just focus on the size of those numbers.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

bobby623's avatar - abstract
          San Angelo, Texas
          United States
          Member #1097
          January 31, 2003
          1394 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2016, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Admittedly I don't have facts to support this and I doubt they are obtainable but I am convinced that: 1. Quick Pick Number Allocations are more Random at a larger type place like a 7 Eleven than some 2. small convenience store at a Gas Station where I think the Quick Picks are less random (a smaller series of random numbers allocated). It seems a bunch of larger places always seem to have more Grand Prize Winners who used Quick Picks than these smaller places. What do you think? Is this nonsense? This is something I've just casually observed online over the years. I do find it very interesting that Lottery's do not make transparent that the random numbers available for Quick Picks Generated are not 100% generated by all the available numbers.

All of the retailers in Texas use the same type lottery terminals to conduct business.
          Each terminal is equipped with what is commonly known as a 'random number generator' to produce the famous Quick Picks.
          These RNGs have no memory, which means more than one person can get a play ticket with the exact same integers.
          Recently, 3 Houston gamblers won the Texas Two-Step game jackpot with QPs having the same combinations issued at different retailer locations.
          This is pretty solid evidence that, contrary to popular belief, the RNGs are not connected and not being manipulated by some unseen force.
          These terminals are free-running devices that function according to an electrical plan.
          Push the proper key and get a 'randomly' generated combination.
          There are no quotas.
          Some retailers sell more tickets because of other factors, such as location, type of business, etc.
          The retailer terminal I use has never, at least as far as I know, ever sold a QP that won a significant prize.
          In fact, only one Texas Lotto winner bought the ticket in the city where I live since the lottery started in 1992.
          There are hundreds of terminals in this city and immediate rural area, a small total compared to the big cities, such as Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth.
          I've never seen a facts sheet but it's said that more lottery products are sold in Houston.
          Given more opportunities to win, it wouldn't be unusual for there to be more jackpot winners in one location, compared to others.
          It's a matter of 'chance'.
          Buying a QP at the right place, at the right time.
          One has to wonder why so many people get upset when the big winners are in the big states with thousands of lottery terminals.
          Texas is one of the larger states and it seems plausible that there would be more jackpot winners than some of the smaller states. But that's not the case.
          The reason?
          Lottery gambling is not as popular as it is in California, New York and Florida.
          Bottom line - those who prefer QPs over self picks just need to hope that the terminals they use will issue the right combination at the right time.
          Otherwise, we just keep playing within our means and hope for the best.
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5593 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2016, 9:39 am - IP Logged
            All of the retailers in Texas use the same type lottery terminals to conduct business.
            Each terminal is equipped with what is commonly known as a 'random number generator' to produce the famous Quick Picks.
            These RNGs have no memory, which means more than one person can get a play ticket with the exact same integers.
            Recently, 3 Houston gamblers won the Texas Two-Step game jackpot with QPs having the same combinations issued at different retailer locations.
            This is pretty solid evidence that, contrary to popular belief, the RNGs are not connected and not being manipulated by some unseen force.
            These terminals are free-running devices that function according to an electrical plan.
            Push the proper key and get a 'randomly' generated combination.
            There are no quotas.
            Some retailers sell more tickets because of other factors, such as location, type of business, etc.
            The retailer terminal I use has never, at least as far as I know, ever sold a QP that won a significant prize.
            In fact, only one Texas Lotto winner bought the ticket in the city where I live since the lottery started in 1992.
            There are hundreds of terminals in this city and immediate rural area, a small total compared to the big cities, such as Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth.
            I've never seen a facts sheet but it's said that more lottery products are sold in Houston.
            Given more opportunities to win, it wouldn't be unusual for there to be more jackpot winners in one location, compared to others.
            It's a matter of 'chance'.
            Buying a QP at the right place, at the right time.
            One has to wonder why so many people get upset when the big winners are in the big states with thousands of lottery terminals.
            Texas is one of the larger states and it seems plausible that there would be more jackpot winners than some of the smaller states. But that's not the case.
            The reason?
            Lottery gambling is not as popular as it is in California, New York and Florida.
            Bottom line - those who prefer QPs over self picks just need to hope that the terminals they use will issue the right combination at the right time.
            Otherwise, we just keep playing within our means and hope for the best.

That 2 Step draw was an eye opener. Actually 2 were in Houston, the other in Longview. Still, that was an interesting draw.

Really disappointed someone won Lotto last night. QP in Weatherford. I was starting to play it harder than usual. Now I'm back to just one line until it grows a little.

And I did notice that a lot of winners are from the Houston area. Doesn't matter to me. I've been using LP's RNG lately.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2016, 9:45 am - IP Logged

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/random

According to the dictionary, the word RANDOM (in relation to the lottery) means of or characterizing a process ofselection in which each item of a set has an equal  probability of being chosen.

So, how can one place have more of a chance to produce winning number than another?

No one knows where the winning ticket will be sold.... or what time... on what day.

What I would like to know is...if the numbers selected on "Quick Pick" tickets are so random, (over 200,000,000 combinations) how come there are usually multiple winners with the same numbers???

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                877 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2016, 9:52 am - IP Logged

On the LP, a lot of people think that most of the winners are from the bigger states or more populated areas of the state, but think about it.....

It doesn't matter where you buy your ticket! Every ticket purchased, whether in a over-populated area or in a one-light town in a rural area has the same lousy odds of winning. 

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5593 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2016, 10:29 am - IP Logged

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/random

According to the dictionary, the word RANDOM (in relation to the lottery) means of or characterizing a process ofselection in which each item of a set has an equal  probability of being chosen.

So, how can one place have more of a chance to produce winning number than another?

No one knows where the winning ticket will be sold.... or what time... on what day.

What I would like to know is...if the numbers selected on "Quick Pick" tickets are so random, (over 200,000,000 combinations) how come there are usually multiple winners with the same numbers???

There can be (not usually) but can be multiple winners because....it's random. I've also seen multiple winners with a QP and with a self pick. On the occasion that happens is usually Tx 2 Step or Cash 5. The odds are lower for those games than others, so it's more likely.

If there weren't occasional multiple winners with the same numbers, it wouldn't be random, and that means the draws were being controlled by the lotteries. I don't want that.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                    Member #106923
                    February 27, 2011
                    476 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2016, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Here is something for consideration; there are approximately 57,000 Seven-Eleven stores in the world, 10,500 in the United States alone. Many of the smaller gas station convenience stores may only have one location. Using the U.S. locations (1 mom and pop; 10,500 Seven-Elevens), if each location were to sell just 1 lottery ticket for a lottery drawing, and one of those tickets was guaranteed to win, what are the odds the winning ticket would be sold at a 7/11? Each ticket has an equal chance to win, but statistically the odds favor Seven-Eleven 10500 to 1.

This could be the reasoning of more grand prize winners at larger places.  It is simply because they sell more tickets.  Same as why there are more jackpot winners in States such as California; the population is larger and therefore so are ticket sales, thereby increasing their odds of winning.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2016, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

"how can one place have more of a chance to produce winning number than another?"

How can a person who buys 5 tickets have a better chance than somebody who only buys 1 ticket?

There's nothing about this that shouldn't be easy to understand. Locations that sell more tickets have a better chance of selling a winner than locations that sell fewer tickets. It doesn't matter whether the location is an entire state, a particular company (as in Jim's example of 7-11), or one specific store.

"how come there are usually multiple winners with the same numbers?"

It's the same thing. Sell enough tickets and there will be multiple winners. Even with birthday numbers it's unusual to have multiple winner for PB or MM unless sales are very high because of the very large number of combinations. At the other end of the scale, even states with small populations have many winners for pick 3 or pick 4 because sales are high relative to the odds.

Randomness is exactly why repeats are guaranteed to happen with QP's. Once 10% of the combinations have been sold 1 out of every 10 tickets sold after that should be a repeat of one that has already been sold. When 20% have been sold 1 of every 5 tickets will repeat a combination that has already been played, and so on.