Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Non claimed winnings thoughts

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 5 months ago by tnlottodreamer.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Salt Lake City, UT
United States
Member #175535
June 21, 2016
11 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2016, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I think that any money that is unclaimed in a state, should tally the money at the end of the year and hold raffles with it instead of giving it to the state.   The money is logistically, (in my mind anyway), the players money, not the states.    If a state has 5 million in non-claimed money then raffle it in 1 million prizes or 1 million then some lower prizes.   Don't know how that would work though.  Maybe for every dollar you spend on lottery the next year, you get in on the raffle or every ten you spend on lottery, you get in on the raffle.    I don't know.,  All I know is that I really think the money should go back to the players not the state.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
    Green Bay
    United States
    Member #169391
    October 15, 2015
    1239 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2016, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Interesting topic but it'll never happen.   Ever try taking candy away from a baby?

Never give up.  Banana

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2016, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19752 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2016, 12:23 am - IP Logged

YES!I Agree! They should put the money back if no one claims it.

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19752 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2016, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

Ohio
            United States
            Member #175608
            June 25, 2016
            32 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2016, 8:10 am - IP Logged

I made a comment to the story about the unclaimed Virginia 50,000 dollar tix... The reason this frustrates me that people are not claiming winnings like this is more to do with people in general... How darn stupid can you be to invest your time and money even if it was a dollar ticket or whatever... And your ignorance must be set on autopilot to not even realize you have 50,000 dollars sitting there for you... Might as well stand next to someone and watch them dump 50k in cash threw a paper shredder... I don't see where there is too big a difference.

u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19752 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2016, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I made a comment to the story about the unclaimed Virginia 50,000 dollar tix... The reason this frustrates me that people are not claiming winnings like this is more to do with people in general... How darn stupid can you be to invest your time and money even if it was a dollar ticket or whatever... And your ignorance must be set on autopilot to not even realize you have 50,000 dollars sitting there for you... Might as well stand next to someone and watch them dump 50k in cash threw a paper shredder... I don't see where there is too big a difference.

I always wonder if it's a Truck driver buying them tickets and forgets about them.

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #106134
                February 13, 2011
                806 Posts
                Posted: July 9, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I always wonder if it's a Truck driver buying them tickets and forgets about them.

That would be a great job for a hardcore lottery player.  You could just buy tickets only in "Can't lose" states while avoiding "Can't win" states.

United States
                  Member #175910
                  July 10, 2016
                  40 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2016, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

For what it's worthI Agree! it should be returned to players in some fashion. Yet, I have a sneaky feeling they waited until the last day and then overslept. Oops! Bed

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    604 Posts
                    Posted: July 12, 2016, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I think that any money that is unclaimed in a state, should tally the money at the end of the year and hold raffles with it instead of giving it to the state.   The money is logistically, (in my mind anyway), the players money, not the states.    If a state has 5 million in non-claimed money then raffle it in 1 million prizes or 1 million then some lower prizes.   Don't know how that would work though.  Maybe for every dollar you spend on lottery the next year, you get in on the raffle or every ten you spend on lottery, you get in on the raffle.    I don't know.,  All I know is that I really think the money should go back to the players not the state.

That's how it's done over here. They set-up surplus jackpots or raffles.

Often it's cars though, so they might still skim through a rebate from the manufacturer...

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                      The Great Smoky Mountains
                      United States
                      Member #59921
                      March 31, 2008
                      266 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:43 am - IP Logged

I think it should go into a raffle style game. It can be done with todays computers. Spread it around and boom the USA will be great again.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***