Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Higher jackpots or better odds?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Gwoof.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

which do you prefer

higher jackpots but lower odds [ 7 ]  [21.21%]
better odds but lower jackpots [ 26 ]  [78.79%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Arkansas
United States
Member #175301
June 9, 2016
67 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2016, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I think a third major multi state lotto game with 1:25,000,000 odds with jackpots that  average payouts in the 10 million range would lure in more casual players

plenty of people would still try for the insane amounts I'm sure.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
    NC
    United States
    Member #164399
    February 28, 2015
    1932 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2016, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I voted better odds....that being said.....the point of the lottery is to make money, and the harder it is, the less payouts per sales, and thus more profit. Better odds would mean higher payouts, so the ticket cost would need to be higher to make the same profit.

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
      Upstate NY
      United States
      Member #174656
      May 5, 2016
      755 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2016, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I think a third major multi state lotto game with 1:25,000,000 odds with jackpots that  average payouts in the 10 million range would lure in more casual players

No occasional player is going to buy a ticket for $10 million when they can just use it to buy a ticket for hundreds of millions. State lottos like my state of NY have TERRIBLE sales because of its terrible payouts. 

Arkansas
        United States
        Member #175301
        June 9, 2016
        67 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2016, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I voted better odds....that being said.....the point of the lottery is to make money, and the harder it is, the less payouts per sales, and thus more profit. Better odds would mean higher payouts, so the ticket cost would need to be higher to make the same profit.

I agree, a $3 play and only paying out jackpots and second prizes would help.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
          NC
          United States
          Member #164399
          February 28, 2015
          1932 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2016, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I agree, a $3 play and only paying out jackpots and second prizes would help.

So far, I like the Lucky for Life game....new to NC....

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

Arkansas
            United States
            Member #175301
            June 9, 2016
            67 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2016, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

So far, I like the Lucky for Life game....new to NC....

me too, but it doesn't even cover half of the states

if it expanded all over perhaps the top prize could be increased

Ohio
              United States
              Member #175608
              June 25, 2016
              32 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2016, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm a rolling cash 5 fanatic. So I like the better odds and the 100-130k average pots. I want to hit that win so bad. 

I do play mega and PB, but I feel like I need to stop those and just focus even more on RC5, because like everyone else... I aint hitting anything on the big games.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                Oregon
                United States
                Member #168137
                August 17, 2015
                124 Posts
                Posted: July 10, 2016, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I play my states lottery, Megabucks, regularly. I haven't won a dime playing, though. It's jackpot is at $7.2million. That'd be just fine by me to win! I'd be quite content winning that! 

But I still love the daydreams a PB or MM jackpot would afford.

United States
                  Member #172415
                  January 23, 2016
                  3795 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2016, 12:33 am - IP Logged

No occasional player is going to buy a ticket for $10 million when they can just use it to buy a ticket for hundreds of millions. State lottos like my state of NY have TERRIBLE sales because of its terrible payouts. 

Because NY LOTTO is the most rigged game I have ever played

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #77167
                    July 15, 2009
                    555 Posts
                    Posted: July 10, 2016, 5:48 am - IP Logged

me too, but it doesn't even cover half of the states

if it expanded all over perhaps the top prize could be increased

If more states were added to Lucky for Life they would increase the numbers and make it more difficult to win.  It is set up for multiple winners the way it is.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5600 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2016, 8:58 am - IP Logged

It would never fly. Most states already have lotto games with lower odds/jackpots.

Texas Lotto is 1:25,827,165 and the cash value Wed night is just over $4 million.

I play them all. MM, PB, Lotto, and 2 Step, plus the All or Nothing and Triple Chance.

There are all kinds of games with different odds and jackpots.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                        Upacreek
                        United States
                        Member #136306
                        December 8, 2012
                        428 Posts
                        Posted: July 10, 2016, 10:52 am - IP Logged

It would never fly. Most states already have lotto games with lower odds/jackpots.

Texas Lotto is 1:25,827,165 and the cash value Wed night is just over $4 million.

I play them all. MM, PB, Lotto, and 2 Step, plus the All or Nothing and Triple Chance.

There are all kinds of games with different odds and jackpots.

Exactly... 

I might of been ok with the last matrix changes if the power play and mega plier actually lived up to the hype and promises but those lower tier payouts aren't happening as much as I think they should be.

-RC

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19826 Posts
                          Posted: July 10, 2016, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Most states already have a game with better odds with jackpots of $5-25M.  Ohio has Classic Lotto(6/49) 1:13,983,816 with a $9M jackpot.  PB and MM were added hoping to lure more players for its local games but players prefer the $100M+ jackpots.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

south el monte
                            United States
                            Member #154982
                            May 4, 2014
                            64 Posts
                            Posted: July 10, 2016, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

i like the higher jackpots i play mm and pb religiously but i only play my state lotto once in awhile.  I know the odds but hitting 5/5 without the mega number on my state lotto , the wins average 20-50 thousand at most. Thats not life changing.

Someone did win 26 million on the state lotto at a i store i frequent so when the state goes bigger then like 20 mil i start playing it but its usually lower then that, so i don't play it that much.

A game i did like that i only seen once , i think it was like 2007 or 2008 was the million dollar raffle. tickets were 20 bucks each but i liked the odds on that. I guess it didn't do well because it they never offered that game again.

Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #175608
                              June 25, 2016
                              32 Posts
                              Posted: July 10, 2016, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

i like the higher jackpots i play mm and pb religiously but i only play my state lotto once in awhile.  I know the odds but hitting 5/5 without the mega number on my state lotto , the wins average 20-50 thousand at most. Thats not life changing.

Someone did win 26 million on the state lotto at a i store i frequent so when the state goes bigger then like 20 mil i start playing it but its usually lower then that, so i don't play it that much.

A game i did like that i only seen once , i think it was like 2007 or 2008 was the million dollar raffle. tickets were 20 bucks each but i liked the odds on that. I guess it didn't do well because it they never offered that game again.

20k to 50k can change someone life...

life changing can simply mean to some that they finally have some money to take care of unfortunate things which have came their way... To others life changing means they don't ever have to be employed again... It's all perspectives.