Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How come there are so many hispanic winners?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 5 months ago by destinycreation.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
243 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2016, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Half the time I check the FL lotto website, the scratch off winners are hispanic.  Why does the FL lottery put a lot of the winning tickets in areas with large hispanic populations?  Just curious...

Show me the money!

Florida
    United States
    Member #172872
    February 7, 2016
    619 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2016, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Half the time I check the FL lotto website, the scratch off winners are hispanic.  Why does the FL lottery put a lot of the winning tickets in areas with large hispanic populations?  Just curious...

Apparently, most of the state's population lives in South FL. There is a significant number of lottery purchases in that part of the state. Since there's more lottery purchases, they go through more rolls which = a higher chance of jackpots being found. South FL also happens to have the largest Hispanic population in the state as well, especially in Miami. 

I agree, sometimes it seems a little fishy/potential distribution bias when you see a majority of the winners in that general region. There are other big cities in Florida such as Orlando/Jacksonville, which you'd think would get a little bit more love. It seems disproportionate from a glance (in terms of the number of winners down there), but I'm sure if someone crunches the numbers and looks at ticket sales it would make sense and justify why jackpots are sold down there if that region generates the most ticket sales.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49835 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2016, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Maybe you should Buy Your Tickets there too!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

new york
        United States
        Member #63828
        August 9, 2008
        181 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2016, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I was curious so I went to the flalottery.com/winners website and out of 48 winners shown with their photos, I counted about 7 who were hispanic, and one of the winners was shown in two separate photos, having won two separate jackpots!

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1707 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2016, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I think it's probably Random Coincidence.