Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can a lottery Cash Value be more than the Annuity Certain?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 5 months ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
Member #106923
February 27, 2011
478 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2016, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Since the lotteries often invest in government bonds for the Annuity Certain, and since bond rates have been earning negative interest of late, could the cash value of a lottery jackpot be more than the annuity?

Current Estimated Jackpot $500 Million

$535 Million Cash Value

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2016, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I'd say there's absolutely no chance at all that you'll see a jackpot advertised that way.

While it might theoretically be possible for an annuity to have a negative rate I'm sure there's zero chance that a lottery is going to advertise an annuity of $500 million if the cash value is $535 million. If those were the options we'd just see lotteries advertising the cash value that the overwhelming majority of winners choose anyway, because the advertising is all about promoting the biggest number they can.

I suppose they could still offer the smaller annuity, but it would be much easier to just  offer a cash option and leave it to the winners to choose an investment.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      877 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2016, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Since the lotteries often invest in government bonds for the Annuity Certain, and since bond rates have been earning negative interest of late, could the cash value of a lottery jackpot be more than the annuity?

$535 Million Cash Value

I don't think the lottery would ever advertise the jackpot that way.

If it came down to where the annuity would be less than the cash value, I think they would just forgo the annuity amount and make it a cash only jackpot. 

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
        Member #172415
        January 23, 2016
        3795 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2016, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I want to see Cash Jackpots....Let that Bond go down to death so CA$H can keep climbing...

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
          Green Bay
          United States
          Member #169391
          October 15, 2015
          1245 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2016, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

If someone wins 300 million or so, why squabble over a few thousand one way or another.  Take the money and run!  At least the government has no control over it after you pay the taxes on the lump sum.  And incidentally, what will the tax rate be in 10 or 20 years?  That's right, no one knows. 

Also...Currently there's talk in DC where the feds would confiscate pensions to cover the debt and re-pay retirees over time with something similar to social security payments.  LOL!  If they did that, what makes anyone think they will stop there?  Maybe confiscate lottery annuity accounts?  Think this is BS?  In 1933 executive order #6102 signed by FDR required every American to turn any gold they held or face a 10,000 fine and/or 10 years in prison.  Back then lots of people had gold coins.

Never give up.  Banana

Canada
            Member #154380
            April 14, 2014
            57 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2016, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

$535 Million Cash Value

Your question is based on a false premise. Bonds have not been earning a negative interest rate. In fact, they never have.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              478 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2016, 12:46 am - IP Logged

The premise of a Cash Value being more than the Annuity Certain was posted facetiously.  Although, never say never...

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!