Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Intuition and gut before buying a scratch off?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 months ago by NeedyNotGreedy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #175682
June 30, 2016
25 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2016, 12:58 am - IP Logged

So I'm a new scratch player (about 2-3 weeks now). I'm hooked! I've kinda given up on random number draws because I wasn't hitting since I started earlier this year doing lottery for the first time. 

However, I'm conflicted sometimes with buying by intuition versus just impulse. I know it sounds crazy and I'm not suggesting any kind of phenomenon, as well as the fact that I understand (but not fully) that gambling tends to have all sorts of addictive tendencies which can appear to be rational but aren't.

I notice when I think about playing for a few minutes, I always win. When I just randomly grab a ticket because of an urge, I lose. I also find myself seeking out certain gas stations as well. If it's crowded, I never buy a ticket. I feel embarrassed and don't want to hold up the line, and I also like to take time to look at whats Availabile, recent winners, etc. I also win usually when I buy something else in the store. So whenever I go someplace, I try to give myself a reason to pick something up...even if it's just $.79 

I have 2 gut feelings: one that gets nervous because I'll win, and the other that says don't waste your money.  Yesterday, I ignored the don't waste your money feeling and bought 2 $5 from a machine that was repelling me. Sure enough, no winners. However, in previous times I thought about it, bought 2 tickets and won. I even ended up winning $35, and then $10 on the next ticket. 

And is it just me...but the stores run by certain foreigners tend to trigger my "stay away from" alert. I don't know why, but I've never won at those. Of course it could just be my strategy needs tuning. But, reading about stories where people cheat the machines, I have my reservations. Even if they don't "cheat", how do we know they aren't using their free time and register money to buy ticket after ticket until they hit a win, and then the roll is useless? 

Does any of this mean anything? P.S., I'm in traveling sales and mainly only allowing myself to buy scratch tickets as souvenirs.

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2016, 2:34 am - IP Logged

So I'm a new scratch player (about 2-3 weeks now). I'm hooked! I've kinda given up on random number draws because I wasn't hitting since I started earlier this year doing lottery for the first time. 

However, I'm conflicted sometimes with buying by intuition versus just impulse. I know it sounds crazy and I'm not suggesting any kind of phenomenon, as well as the fact that I understand (but not fully) that gambling tends to have all sorts of addictive tendencies which can appear to be rational but aren't.

I notice when I think about playing for a few minutes, I always win. When I just randomly grab a ticket because of an urge, I lose. I also find myself seeking out certain gas stations as well. If it's crowded, I never buy a ticket. I feel embarrassed and don't want to hold up the line, and I also like to take time to look at whats Availabile, recent winners, etc. I also win usually when I buy something else in the store. So whenever I go someplace, I try to give myself a reason to pick something up...even if it's just $.79 

I have 2 gut feelings: one that gets nervous because I'll win, and the other that says don't waste your money.  Yesterday, I ignored the don't waste your money feeling and bought 2 $5 from a machine that was repelling me. Sure enough, no winners. However, in previous times I thought about it, bought 2 tickets and won. I even ended up winning $35, and then $10 on the next ticket. 

And is it just me...but the stores run by certain foreigners tend to trigger my "stay away from" alert. I don't know why, but I've never won at those. Of course it could just be my strategy needs tuning. But, reading about stories where people cheat the machines, I have my reservations. Even if they don't "cheat", how do we know they aren't using their free time and register money to buy ticket after ticket until they hit a win, and then the roll is useless? 

Does any of this mean anything? P.S., I'm in traveling sales and mainly only allowing myself to buy scratch tickets as souvenirs.

You've answered your own question.  Follow your INTUITION !!!

Chicago
      United States
      Member #175682
      June 30, 2016
      25 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2016, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Lol I'll try!

Florida
        United States
        Member #172872
        February 7, 2016
        604 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2016, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

My biggest wins have been at food stores run by foreigners. I've also encountered big losing streaks there, and everywhere else. Sometimes mom and pop stores have big winners. I've bought 1 $25 ticket before, and hit $400 at one of those stores. Truly, we don't know where the winners are. Big wins can happen anywhere. The grocery store a mile from where I live sold a $10 million winner on a $25 ticket a couple months ago.

I've been playing scratch offs for a year. My biggest advice to you is to make sure you keep a system where YOU are in control. Many people can get addicted easily, and spend hundreds of dollars (even thousands) over the course of a single year chasing wins.

My "biggest" win of $1k happened on a $10 ticket, and a $25 ticket. Both of those purchases were 2 from a roll. Whenever I tend to "chase" winners, I lose big time. Some people fall for the fallacy "Well the last X number of tickets were losers, the next one HAS to be a winner". They also say "I know I'm overdue". We can remember our losses, but lottery games certainly don't. If you ever come across back to back losers, instead of continuing to buy tickets from that roll, I strongly recommend leaving the store because you might just be buying tickets from a "low payout" roll (for example, a low payout roll here would be $210 from a $600 roll on a $10 game here in Florida). Truly, I think the best strategy is to just buy 1-2 and then leave. I haven't reached this level of self control yet, but it is something I am striving to do.

Intuition can lead someone astray, just also remember to continue to use logic as well to remain within your budget.

Texas
          United States
          Member #176057
          July 18, 2016
          13 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2016, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Intuition works for me!! I also notice that I seem to win more from busier stores.  Maybe they just get more winner tickets because they cycle though stores?

CALI
            Afghanistan
            Member #118735
            November 6, 2011
            134 Posts
            Posted: July 20, 2016, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I just went on a Binge and bought 10 Books each for $600 in 7 days.

none of them were Big Winners

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

Chicago
              United States
              Member #175682
              June 30, 2016
              25 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2016, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice! I have been sticking to buying only 2 tickets if they are $5. Or, generally not spending more than $10 in a day. I've had luck 3 times in a row just buying 2 at a time. So, I'm kinda set on that number, BUT...I'm also considering dropping $20 anytime i play. It doesn't seem worth it to just get 1 or 2 tickets. Or I'll buy 10-$1 tickets, etc whatever i can buy with $10 or $20

The point about chasing wins is a good one. Many times when i lose i always think, "dang, someone is gonna get my winner" lol

But, the sting of losing really puts me in a bad mood, so i try not to put in more than i can reasonable feel okay with losing.