Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are my Powerball tickets unlucky?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 4 months ago by ressuccess.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #175649
June 27, 2016
15 Posts
Posted: July 20, 2016, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I looked at all the predictions for Powerball and none of the combinations match my quick picks. (But some of the numbers comes up in MADDOG'S Powerball jackpot entries).

It even repeated a mega millions winning number (sort of. I think it was mostly 40s which my ticket is mostly 60s)

It didn't help going to a modern arcade and not winning jackpots but a lot of other people did.....

Am I unlucky? Or is there a bigger chance than I thought?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5595 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2016, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I looked at all the predictions for Powerball and none of the combinations match my quick picks. (But some of the numbers comes up in MADDOG'S Powerball jackpot entries).

It even repeated a mega millions winning number (sort of. I think it was mostly 40s which my ticket is mostly 60s)

It didn't help going to a modern arcade and not winning jackpots but a lot of other people did.....

I wouldn't say you are "unlucky".

Rather, you are not "lucky".

Yet.

There are millions of combinations in PB and MM.

Even Texas Cash 5 which has 435,897 combinations is hard to win.

Or a Pick 4 game which has 10,000 straight combinations is hard to hit.

The odds are against you. So, you are not "yet" lucky. You just never know when you will be "lucky".

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
      Member #106923
      February 27, 2011
      477 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2016, 9:50 am - IP Logged

"Or is there a bigger chance than I thought?"

I've said this in other posts WhoaMama, but with odds at 1 in 292,201,338, if every adult in the United States had a unique ticket for the same Powerball drawing there would still be 50 million chances nobody would win! 

Is that a bigger chance than you thought?

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
        Brooklyn, NY
        United States
        Member #169723
        October 29, 2015
        877 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2016, 10:17 am - IP Logged

"Or is there a bigger chance than I thought?"

I've said this in other posts WhoaMama, but with odds at 1 in 292,201,338, if every adult in the United States had a unique ticket for the same Powerball drawing there would still be 50 million chances nobody would win! 

Is that a bigger chance than you thought?

So......some of the adults in the US would buy 2 unique tickets.

There would be a ticket sold to cover every combination.

Someone in America would be guaranteed to win a jackpot every single drawing. As long as nobody bought more than their one unique ticket, there would be only one jackpot winner.

Besides the jackpot winner, there would also be 26 5 of 5 tickets every drawing as well as numerous other lower tier prizes.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
          Upstate NY
          United States
          Member #174656
          May 5, 2016
          755 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2016, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I spent $2 on a self picked ticket. Then I heard that my older brother is going to Massachusetts for the week and I gave him $20 for tickets ( much cheaper withholding and anonymity by trust). He rarely buys a ticket so he got quick picks. My self pick got 1+PB while the QP's got absolutely nothing. Some people are just unlucky with quick picks, avoid them if you are one of them. 

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            555 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2016, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

I prefer to think all tickets are lucky until the balls roll.  You are no more unlucky than anyone else who plays.  We are all potential winners. 

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              477 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2016, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

So......some of the adults in the US would buy 2 unique tickets.

There would be a ticket sold to cover every combination.

Someone in America would be guaranteed to win a jackpot every single drawing. As long as nobody bought more than their one unique ticket, there would be only one jackpot winner.

Besides the jackpot winner, there would also be 26 5 of 5 tickets every drawing as well as numerous other lower tier prizes.

Yes, you are correct, MM, IF every adult bought a unique ticket AND some would buy 2 unique tickets.  However, the past several PB draws show ticket sales of 19,878,010     25,601,922      25,790,112      28,456,157      25,764,556      28,901,102.  Far from the odds of 292 million, and these numbers do not guarantee each ticket to be unique.  It would be nice to have assurance each ticket was unique, which is possible to do, though this is unlikely to occur because allowing it increases odds over and above the stated odds without requiring disclosure, thus increasing lottery profits.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3049 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2016, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

I use to think that I was unlucky in my state lotto and powerball since I have been playing them both for about 20 years.  But I realized that one I spend only $2 on megabucks and $3 or $2 on powerball usually so I am not covering very many numbers.  And the other thing is I play for entertainment for the week along with watching cable t.v. so if I lose no biggy just on to the next ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                  Member #93164
                  June 23, 2010
                  1322 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2016, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I usually don't play Powerball unless the jackpot reaches $1 Billion dollars or more because it costs $2 per play!

I hope that one $2 ticket is the only one that matches all 5 numbers plus the Powerball to win the largest Powerball Jackpot in United States history of over $2 Billion Dollars!