Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

About trusts and all the nitty gritty after winning

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 4 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #173496
March 5, 2016
90 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2016, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone on LP work in the financial and/or legal arena with knowledge on trusts

After the big win, the general consensus is put your winnings in a trust of your choosing....If the money is not growing through investments, my understanding is that you will not be taxed again. (correct me if i am wrong)

My curiosity lies in the money that is dispersed from the trust to you thereafter. My little reading online and on the IRS website deems that this is now classified as income, and is liable to be taxed as every other form of income.

Is this pretty much what either one of us will deal with after we win (WinkWink) ....a second tax on your money? Or am I missing something.

LA Ca.
    United States
    Member #172750
    February 3, 2016
    88 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2016, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Depends if the  $$ was taxed as income before it went into the trust. If you had already paid income tax on  the (principal)  money then you'd only pay taxes on the dividends & interest earned, not the original lump sum. That only gets taxed once as income.

This kinda explains it:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101915/do-beneficiaries-trust-pay-taxes.asp

United States
      Member #166751
      June 6, 2015
      17 Posts
      Posted: July 23, 2016, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Tax issues aside, Does a trust offer protection of money being "untouchable" if the winner is sued? And can the trust be set up where money is released as requested by the trustees, not knowing in advance when they would want money to be released?

LA Ca.
        United States
        Member #172750
        February 3, 2016
        88 Posts
        Posted: July 23, 2016, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Tax issues aside, Does a trust offer protection of money being "untouchable" if the winner is sued? And can the trust be set up where money is released as requested by the trustees, not knowing in advance when they would want money to be released?

I think it would depend on what you may get sued for. For instance, if the trust (with you as trustee) effectively owns the vehicles you drive & you get in a wreck, then the trust may be on the hook. But..... if you personally own the vehicles that you drive, then the trust isn't involved, even if you bought them with money you received from the trust. Ditto with homes or businesses.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
          Winning makes me smile.
          bel air maryland
          United States
          Member #90251
          April 24, 2010
          4862 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2016, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Depends if the  $$ was taxed as income before it went into the trust. If you had already paid income tax on  the (principal)  money then you'd only pay taxes on the dividends & interest earned, not the original lump sum. That only gets taxed once as income.

This kinda explains it:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101915/do-beneficiaries-trust-pay-taxes.asp

Good info there. Thanks Rexer90.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            699 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I think it would depend on what you may get sued for. For instance, if the trust (with you as trustee) effectively owns the vehicles you drive & you get in a wreck, then the trust may be on the hook. But..... if you personally own the vehicles that you drive, then the trust isn't involved, even if you bought them with money you received from the trust. Ditto with homes or businesses.

Not sure about liability, but one thing trusts can do is make it hard to find your assets and if you're not seen as someone with deep pockets, someone out for money may not want to bother with you. If you're in an auto accident or something happens on your property, have a good amount of liability insurance to cover it.

This subject I think overlaps on another thread in this forum, "Strategy for Remaining Anonymous," which is here:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/304797

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2016, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

These questions will all be answered by the professional financial adviser, lawyer and all the other sucks you get in a row when winning.

Win it first, then get all your questions answered before claiming the jackpot.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                Member #173496
                March 5, 2016
                90 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2016, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

These questions will all be answered by the professional financial adviser, lawyer and all the other sucks you get in a row when winning.

Win it first, then get all your questions answered before claiming the jackpot.

Very very very true...

But, it is always best going into such situations with a skeleton of what you want and then the professionals can fill in the rest. Professionals are not all equal in their intent (TN winners come to mind)

Educate yourself, as much as you can. Even if you never win...but if you do, in all the excitement you know what questions to ask first or at least give them an idea of what you envisioned for yourself and your new found wealth.

Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  877 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2016, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I just read a very interesting article on the subject of this post.

Something for every prospective winner

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/dear-powerball-winner-make-no-sudden-moves-until-you-read-this/

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                    Member #169277
                    October 10, 2015
                    630 Posts
                    Posted: July 24, 2016, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I just read a very interesting article on the subject of this post.

Something for every prospective winner

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/dear-powerball-winner-make-no-sudden-moves-until-you-read-this/

Thanks for the link. That site has some pretty good articles for those of us that haven't (yet) won a jackpot too.

Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      877 Posts
                      Posted: July 24, 2016, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the link. That site has some pretty good articles for those of us that haven't (yet) won a jackpot too.

I thought so too.

Hopefully these ideas will come in handy for one of us....one day soon (like this Wednesday Wink)

The Meatman