Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Losing faith in lottery, dismayed at what I'm seeing in America

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 months ago by Catpickednumber.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #175682
June 30, 2016
25 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2016, 11:50 am - IP Logged

i couldn't figure out if I wanted to post in scratch games or here. But lately I've mainly been playing scratch games, but before I stuck to random numbers. Don't mean to discourage anyone else from playing, but in my case I've been playing hard for 8 months now and still no win over $40. 

I look at the trends in random number games, I look at the odds and prizes claimed on scratch offs and remaining left. I have even been buying 2-5 $5 scratchers in one batch, and up to 10 $1 scratchers in a batch. Recently I dId this is Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, New York, and Connecticut. When I travel for my sales job, I tend to have a little extra money to spend. But after this last run, it actually affected me financially as I was able to calculate losing around $70, and making only $30. When I start losing like that, I start to think of what I could have bought for myself.

Before playing lotto, I would never imagine spending $5 on a ticket. But, I do believe you have to go down the roll to win, and I usually do win. But the wins are small. And I'm seeing in gas stations everywhere, people are going in just to buy lotto. People are spending lots of time, waiting and playing. I would imagine the people who are winning are playing aggressively spending lots of time and lots of money, and just getting "refunds". 

This is whole thing feels like a losing proposition. I'm starting to question it now that I was burnt off 5 $5 tickets and got nothing but a free ticket back, which I used to buy (2) $2 tickets and (1) $1 ticket. And STILL lost. 

Guess I don't have a particular question, but after today I'm feeling like I'm going to send in my second chance winnings, but just going to give up on scratch offs, and only play $1 megamilions or $1 pick 5. And just (1) with redraws. No more than $10-$20 at a time in any month. Because it gives the best payoffs. Its not feeling fun to pay for some kids education I don't even have and never will have, or whatever use its going to. Enough is enough. It shouldn't take me 8 months of playing, and not having won anything substantial.

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
    Member #138729
    February 4, 2013
    2872 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2016, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, buying one ticket for whatever game/s you choose is all that's required. You're in the game, and you're either going to win or lose.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
    MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
    Click me
    Open to EVERYONE- Click me

Houston texas
      United States
      Member #176560
      August 12, 2016
      9 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2016, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I've been on the same boat as you, been playing over 2 years now and spent a lot of money on it. The key is you have to be consistent and never give up. Play smart and don't play $1-$2 games, best bet is to play the $20 scratch cards. With mega millions, powerball you are just throwing away money. You said it yourself, you study the odds, then you should know the difference between the odds of powerball and scratch cards. Scratch cards 1 in a million, with powerball 1 in 292 million. With powerball you play to dream, with scratch cards you play to win. What do you choose?

Charlotte,Nc
        United States
        Member #151453
        January 17, 2014
        5 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2016, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I've lost faith a long time ago but i still play from time to time. I currently live in Charlotte North Carolina now and have discovered that everybody in the city playing scratch offs is at a major disadvantage. The North Carolina websites shows the winners and allows you to search for lottery retailers based on zip code. Recent winners include a 100k winner in the city of Spindale Nc which has 6 retailers in the entire city. A 200k winner in Troy Nc city with 7 retailers, 750K winner in the city of Jacksonville with 62 retailers to name a few. Meanwhile my zip code 28208 alone has 38 retailers and the city of Charlotte which has about 75 different zip codes has well over 2000 lottery retailers. What's the point of playing in big cities with so many retailers when your chances to win a jackpot is like finding a needle in 500 haystacks. Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston Salem make up about 80-85% of all the lottery retailers in the state but on jackpots we probably make up 30% of the winners  which isnt fair to us.

Chicago
          United States
          Member #175682
          June 30, 2016
          25 Posts
          Posted: August 21, 2016, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies. I had typed up a good response last night and then my iPad ran out of battery. But, I've been able to wrap my head around things and actually had a couple of good plays. I left playing the $5 tickets and got a separate couple of $10 tickets and won my first $50! $20 on another game. 

Atnewkids, I agree with you big time and that confirms my suspicious about buying lottery in town. I live in Tennessee (but travel often and get to buy tickets elsewhere), and I'm wholly convinced the whole lotto here is a scam. Or at the very least, they don't print enough winning tickets. For one, compared to many other states, they have TOO MANY different scratch offs. Granted, I've not played them all and I've not spent more than a $10 scratch off...but I've bought many $5 games here before and always lost. I had used $20 last week to buy 3 $5 tickets, 1 $3 and $2 ticket. They all were losers. I seem to lose more on the $5 tickets than the $2 and $3 tickets. They also have too many retailers with lotto. It's not just gas stations and grocery stores...its tabacco shops too. There's like 100 lotto places in 1 square mile it seems lol. Of course, that's lots of other places too. I lost horribly playing $5 tickets in New York. And on top of all that...EVERYTIME I buy a ticket in the city, it's usually always late or halfway thru the roll. I usually always win with numbers under 20. People buying them up too much here.

The powerball and megamilions are definitely dreamers. However, I still play megamilions just because I can track the trends and that's the only game I can track in my state besides powerball. But it's still a joke. But, I do always win better with scratch offs, and I don't like waiting all day for a drawing, only to lose.

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #18322
            July 9, 2005
            1704 Posts
            Posted: August 21, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

i couldn't figure out if I wanted to post in scratch games or here. But lately I've mainly been playing scratch games, but before I stuck to random numbers. Don't mean to discourage anyone else from playing, but in my case I've been playing hard for 8 months now and still no win over $40. 

I look at the trends in random number games, I look at the odds and prizes claimed on scratch offs and remaining left. I have even been buying 2-5 $5 scratchers in one batch, and up to 10 $1 scratchers in a batch. Recently I dId this is Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, New York, and Connecticut. When I travel for my sales job, I tend to have a little extra money to spend. But after this last run, it actually affected me financially as I was able to calculate losing around $70, and making only $30. When I start losing like that, I start to think of what I could have bought for myself.

Before playing lotto, I would never imagine spending $5 on a ticket. But, I do believe you have to go down the roll to win, and I usually do win. But the wins are small. And I'm seeing in gas stations everywhere, people are going in just to buy lotto. People are spending lots of time, waiting and playing. I would imagine the people who are winning are playing aggressively spending lots of time and lots of money, and just getting "refunds". 

This is whole thing feels like a losing proposition. I'm starting to question it now that I was burnt off 5 $5 tickets and got nothing but a free ticket back, which I used to buy (2) $2 tickets and (1) $1 ticket. And STILL lost. 

Guess I don't have a particular question, but after today I'm feeling like I'm going to send in my second chance winnings, but just going to give up on scratch offs, and only play $1 megamilions or $1 pick 5. And just (1) with redraws. No more than $10-$20 at a time in any month. Because it gives the best payoffs. Its not feeling fun to pay for some kids education I don't even have and never will have, or whatever use its going to. Enough is enough. It shouldn't take me 8 months of playing, and not having won anything substantial.

Why are you addicted to scratch offs ??? Scratch offs are harder to win than the draw games.  If you have this kind of money to spend on scratch offs, SWITCH to the draw games instead.  Try your Luck on something different for a while.

Try Pick 4.

Chicago
              United States
              Member #175682
              June 30, 2016
              25 Posts
              Posted: August 21, 2016, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Really? Hmm...I kinda thought the odds were better with scratch offs. I'm not addicted to them, but it's more exciting and usually better payoff. But $10, $20 and $30 wins here and there is kinda time consuming for the payout. So I might be considering dropping all the cheaper scratch tickets.

The draw games haven't given me any more than $28 prize when I played fantasy 5 a few months ago. The state I live in, there's only the 3X daily pick 3 and pick 4. I hate those games. Morning afternoon and evening draws. Just seems too futile. There is a 5/35 pick 5 and cash ball game here. But it's always been under $10 wins on that too. My roomie plays it too and gets the same results.

i do sometimes feel the scratch offs are somewhat high risk. I mean, I would have never thought about spending $10 on some cheesy money game, but I won $70 off 3 tickets. A lot more than I've ever gotten from draw games.

but speaking of odds, I wish they were more exact. How is it that 3-4 tickets in a row can be losers of a $5 or $10 game with odds of 1:3 or 4? Sure it's "of all tickets sold". But still.

United States
                Member #154236
                April 8, 2014
                1432 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2016, 8:06 am - IP Logged

Really? Hmm...I kinda thought the odds were better with scratch offs. I'm not addicted to them, but it's more exciting and usually better payoff. But $10, $20 and $30 wins here and there is kinda time consuming for the payout. So I might be considering dropping all the cheaper scratch tickets.

The draw games haven't given me any more than $28 prize when I played fantasy 5 a few months ago. The state I live in, there's only the 3X daily pick 3 and pick 4. I hate those games. Morning afternoon and evening draws. Just seems too futile. There is a 5/35 pick 5 and cash ball game here. But it's always been under $10 wins on that too. My roomie plays it too and gets the same results.

i do sometimes feel the scratch offs are somewhat high risk. I mean, I would have never thought about spending $10 on some cheesy money game, but I won $70 off 3 tickets. A lot more than I've ever gotten from draw games.

but speaking of odds, I wish they were more exact. How is it that 3-4 tickets in a row can be losers of a $5 or $10 game with odds of 1:3 or 4? Sure it's "of all tickets sold". But still.

Your chances to get your money back and small prizes of 20 to 100 bucks may be better on scratches but your best chance to win anything substantial, 1000 bucks or more is pick 4.   Box hits are from 100 to 600 bucks and exact 1200 to 5000.   I have been playing for 2 and a half years and have won 1850, 2500, 2700 on 3 separate draws and 200 buck box  hits on several occasions not to mention several 100 hits I miss out on because I usually play singles exact.  I spend 10 to 20 bucks a day so yes I have spent more than I have won but had the numbers that I won 2500 on a couple months ago hit 2 draws earlier I would have wanted 20000 on 4 times exact.   That is what keeps me playing.  You can look at your states pick 4 winners board and often see people who win 20 to 50k on a single draw by playing numbers multi times.  Just a few weeks ago someone won well over 100k which I have seen many times. 

I will drop a buck a night on cash 5 for a 1 in around 600k chance to win 50k or more but never on power or mega even if the jack pot gets over gazillion. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
                  Philadelphia, PA
                  United States
                  Member #153774
                  March 24, 2014
                  884 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2016, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Some advice lay off the games.  Any extra money you take put it away.  It's not worth it.  I will play maybe $40 a month and that is it.  Also just because I see a $10- $20- $30 ticket who knows you win some you lose some. 

When you say payoffs maybe not.  It's not worth it.  Heck you said you're a sales person.  I rather have you here in the Philadelphia area and help me find a future queen rather than spend that extra money on tickets that you might not win.

Okay you're from Chicago area.  Midwest person  just trying to help you there.  Just be careful it's not an addiction.

New York, NY
                    United States
                    Member #140634
                    March 23, 2013
                    2976 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2016, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Destiny creation Is right. Scratch offs typically have a little over or a little under 50% payout back to the buyer. Trust me I know. I use to go through 3 full packs at a time. The numbers game costs a lot less with a lot more promise back.  If you can't think about it just buy quick picks, don't look at them, and just scan them in the machine at the store. If it says "sorry not a winner" etc, just throw the ticket away, and do it again if you feel like. That way less drama. and less all that other stuff. You never know you might wake up one day and be pleasantly surprised without having to think about anything or do anything either. Best to ya

Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #175682
                      June 30, 2016
                      25 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2016, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the words of wisdom the last 3 replies.

i think I could be slightly addicted, but it's waning pretty fast. Especially with scratch offs. I won $50, my biggest hit...on a Kentucky lottery game. I'm not in Chicago anymore, should update.

today I lost $25 on a combination of (2) $10 tickets and $5 megamilions. I was devastated. Yes, $25...but that's money for other things. Not to mention $20 losses earlier this week on $5 tickets and cashforlife at $2 a pop. I'm just really getting fed up losing and starting to feel real pathetic about life right about now. 

I don't mind dropping $3 on a cash 5 game. In fact, I played a Texas cash 5 game, and won 3 times...but only $2 each time. I started entering lots of random numbers I had in mind...and checking thru they all only hit for $2. Either my number system sucks (which I create from help by an unaffiliated lottery website) or some super computer makes sure that a payout of only $2 happens regularly lol.

Catpickednumber's avatar - cat anm.gif
                        Santa Cruz, California
                        United States
                        Member #175784
                        July 5, 2016
                        72 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2016, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

The only tickets you can almost surely get a winner with if you buy 10 in a row are the 20 dollar tickets.. For 10 dollar tickets you have to at least buy 20 to 30.. And for 5 dollars and under you should probably buy the whole roll that is the only way.. I have seen in the trash consectutive losers in 5 dollar tickets..like 20 of them.. I myself started with 20 dollar tickets and bought 5 at once.. Won 100 above the money I put in..then went and bought 10 in a row and won 1,000.00.. So happy.. The game iteself got old and now I can't do anything.. But in general you cannot go buy the odds in each game that says say 1 in 14 are a winner say in the dollar tickets..that isn't true that its 1 every 14, it doesn't work that way.. You could get 30 one dollar loosers in a row. It's the only way they can make money off the tickets in those lower priced tickets.. So go for the 20 dollar tickets next time and at the very least buy 5 but I recommend buying 10 and you usually will at least get 150 back so you only will maybe loose 50 dollars and you might just win big.. But stay away from those lower priced tickets.. If it's too much for you you should just save you money, set a budget and spend it all at once on the 20 dollar tickets in a row. That's my advice. Its what I do.