Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best strategy to buy scratch cards?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 3 months ago by kaseydia.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Houston texas
United States
Member #176560
August 12, 2016
9 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2016, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Hello all, I'm new here to the forum and would like some advice and opinions from all you professional scratchers. I have a few questions here as to what is the best strategy on buying scratch cards. First, should I buy when all the top prizes are still available or when there is only one top prize left and the odds are better? I'm leaning towards the one top prize left since I'm more comfortable when the odds are better, the ratio between the lower prizes claimed and total prizes printed is closer. Next, should I buy the whole pack or one of each game? They say in order to win the lottery, you have to be at the right place at the right time. If I buy the whole pack, I just have to worry about being at the right place and not worry about being there at the right time since I bought the whole pack. But if I was at the right place and playing the wrong game, it doesn't make a difference. Next, I only play the $20 scratch cards, best odds and best reward in my opinion. Should I buy one $20 scratch card everyday from either same store or different stores or save up and buy the whole pack for $500 or $600 once a month? Finally, should I buy from same store or go around to different stores?

United States
    Member #34931
    March 9, 2006
    98 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2016, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Scratcher EXPECTATIONS are an exercise in futility and disappointment . . you may be in odds denial!  Manage the aggravation by accepting the randomness, playing only in moderation, and being vigilant.

Whales vagina
      United States
      Member #175358
      June 12, 2016
      9 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2016, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Hi unlucky, sounds you have put a lot of thought into your playing. My suggestion would be to experiment for one week buy single tickets from different locations. Then try buying 5 from a single locations and track your results and let us know what you find.

ive been playing for lotto 8 months and I play every day 20-30$ mostly 5$ tickets. Lately I've done better buying 10 tickets from the same pack at once rather than buying 2 from 5 locations. 

For the first 5 months I only played 30$ tickets and 20 dollar tickets. Won 400 3x and 500 1x plus several 100$. I would buy randomly one here one there. I hit a bad losing streak on 30$ tickets and stopped playing 20$ and 30$ but I may go back to 20$ I liked max millions but it's hard to find might try platinum payout.

i know your focused on the jackpot but the higher tier prizes are fun to win too and they increase your bankroll to buy more and keep in the chase for,the big win.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
        Member #165244
        March 30, 2015
        228 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2016, 6:51 am - IP Logged

Scratcher EXPECTATIONS are an exercise in futility and disappointment . . you may be in odds denial!  Manage the aggravation by accepting the randomness, playing only in moderation, and being vigilant.

I haven't played scratch offs in a while. But going to buy a few this weekend so will definitely look for anything that has been pinned. Makes me want to just buy them out of the machine itself...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

kaseydia's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg

United States
          Member #57795
          January 19, 2008
          188 Posts
          Posted: September 6, 2016, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

The store clerks are helpful in telling me which tickets just hit big. I tend to avoid buying right behind great big winning scratchers. If I do, I buy no more than one.