Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wawa restricts paying jackpot and instant tickets

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 months ago by wander73.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #153774
March 24, 2014
867 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2016, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Now i don't know if this other customer had won on instant ticket or big lottery.  Wawa apparently has a restriction they don't have to pay and refuse of a certain amt for winners. 

I was waiting for some food when a customer was very upset.  Is this anywhere else in the us?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5600 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2016, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Now i don't know if this other customer had won on instant ticket or big lottery.  Wawa apparently has a restriction they don't have to pay and refuse of a certain amt for winners. 

I was waiting for some food when a customer was very upset.  Is this anywhere else in the us?

I buy my tix at a small c-store, and if I have a winner say $250 or so, they can't cash it right away because they don't keep that kind of cash. I usually cash tix like that at Tom Thumb which has enough money to pay winning tix.

That said, here in Tx retailers are not required to pay out for winning tix.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #162631
      January 7, 2015
      503 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2016, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I would have said to the lady:  "Ma'am, please don't cry.  Did you win some prize and now they won't pay it. I'll gladly drive you down the street, after you stop your blubbering and we can cash your ticket there, and pay me my 25%."

(it's late at night, and I'm not really sure what I'm saying.)

• Don't chase the numbers you play.
      • Play only numbers you've already played, plus however many random picks.
      • But, ALWAYS the regular numbers you play.  This will make you a winner, not a chaser.
                (so far, though, I've yet to win any significant lotto prize)
        JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
        NC
        United States
        Member #164399
        February 28, 2015
        1931 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2016, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Stores (usually grocer) with western union that have lottery, etc, are best place to cash more than $50....my experience...

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

Delaware
          United States
          Member #93503
          July 1, 2010
          453 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2016, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Wawa just has the vending machines right? If so yeah I doubt they would cash anything big.

Snazzy008's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #163305
            January 25, 2015
            81 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2016, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I have won several times on 4 of 5 picks which amount to $400 to $500 and the gas station here has no problems giving me my money. There was this one gas station that I sense something fishy because I checked my winning tickets before I go there and twice I was told it was not a winning ticket and I asked for it back and this guy said he threw it in the trash and hard to find which one.  At first I thought it was my mistake but twice seems a little too much. Later I read in the news that lottery retailers in some area are cheating their customers by telling them that the ticket they cash are non-winning tickets. So now before I go I take a picture of my ticket as proof and if they don't give me my money I am going straight to lottery office.

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
              Philadelphia, PA
              United States
              Member #153774
              March 24, 2014
              867 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2016, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I have won several times on 4 of 5 picks which amount to $400 to $500 and the gas station here has no problems giving me my money. There was this one gas station that I sense something fishy because I checked my winning tickets before I go there and twice I was told it was not a winning ticket and I asked for it back and this guy said he threw it in the trash and hard to find which one.  At first I thought it was my mistake but twice seems a little too much. Later I read in the news that lottery retailers in some area are cheating their customers by telling them that the ticket they cash are non-winning tickets. So now before I go I take a picture of my ticket as proof and if they don't give me my money I am going straight to lottery office.

It's funny you bring this up.  I have heard about on the news although I don't have credibility with the news that actually some of the retailers are stealing as well but I thank you for your honest opinion but you're absolutely right at some places you may have to take a picture of your ticket actually that's one good thing I like about cell phones taking a picture and screenshot it. 

That's one thing I was hearing about people fighting over a machine but you're exactly right the retailers might be doing something weird too.  So you have better luck on winning numbers.