Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch offs thrown in the trash...

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 2 months ago by Redd55.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #175682
June 30, 2016
25 Posts
Posted: August 22, 2016, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I thought it was pretty crazy to see numerous $3, $2 and even a couple $5 and $20 scratch offs in the trash at the car wash today. 

Now, even though it sounds like utter scum of the earth, when I seen these tickets in the trash, I pulled them and actually added them to my "pile" of scratch offs to be entered in second chance drawings. Only the numbers were scratched, no barcodes.

Im thinking to myself , what a waste of money only for it to end up in the trash, unless they hit some wins off of them in the process. would you bother with trashed scratchers...assuming there's nothing gross or dangerous on top of them lol? 

I guess it reminds me of those stories of people finding big winning tickets in the bushes or something. Not that I'd go looking for them, but you have to wonder if some of those trashed tickets might have been overlooked.

United States
    Member #164725
    March 12, 2015
    341 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2016, 1:53 am - IP Logged

I use to buy coffee and lotto tickets at this donut place.  I would also grab thrown out scratchers. I found on average 1 discarded $5 -$10 winner a month.  One time I found  5 attached $2 tickets where they forgot to even check the one in the middle.  So, won another $10 bucks.  If I won a huge award from a mis stakenly tossed scratcher, I would feel bad, tho.

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
      Lower MI
      United States
      Member #94546
      July 22, 2010
      247 Posts
      Posted: August 23, 2016, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I know for a fact lots of winners are tossed..
      I have found many winning tickets in the garbage- I am always on the look out. 

$50 is the highest I have 'found'

I put them all in the second chance drawing and play any game they have out there for them..

Brooklyn New York
        United States
        Member #176360
        August 1, 2016
        37 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2016, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Lucky people! It's hard to find people always check before you and some disposed them in-garbage where you can't see them. Also people scratch the letters in cashword and throw without checking that losing big money and ruining top prize report update! Those are disasters!

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
          Philadelphia, PA
          United States
          Member #153774
          March 24, 2014
          855 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2016, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

One mans trash is another mans treasure.  That's the way I see it.  After thinking for a while I start looking on the ticket.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22891 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2016, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't feel bad about finding a winner, how are you going to find the owner when it's in the trash anyway?

If you are courageous enough to dip into the waste basket, then good for you if you find some money!

Most all of the discarded ones I see have the scan box rubbed off so I assume they have been scanned and 

tossed. I don't have patience for the second chance drawings so I don't pick them out of the trash. With the

way some games are set up, it seems they're set up to make a person miss a win - too many colors, too many

numbers, too much complication and hidden bonus boxes. I hope that if you take the time to retrieve the tickets

that you find a good one that someone overlooked. A ten dollar instant ticket find is like finding $10 on the street.

Good job to any who've found money! Keep at it, you might find a pretty good prize.

Texas
              United States
              Member #176057
              July 18, 2016
              13 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2016, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I am so glad I joined this site, I didn't even KNOW that second chance drawing was a thing, and I just looked and we have it in TX. Thank you!!  Smile

New York
                United States
                Member #157288
                July 14, 2014
                170 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2016, 5:37 am - IP Logged

While this wasn't in the trash; a guy in nyc found a jackpot scratch ticket on the street a couple of years ago.

United States
                  Member #164725
                  March 12, 2015
                  341 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2016, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't feel bad about finding a winner, how are you going to find the owner when it's in the trash anyway?

If you are courageous enough to dip into the waste basket, then good for you if you find some money!

Most all of the discarded ones I see have the scan box rubbed off so I assume they have been scanned and 

tossed. I don't have patience for the second chance drawings so I don't pick them out of the trash. With the

way some games are set up, it seems they're set up to make a person miss a win - too many colors, too many

numbers, too much complication and hidden bonus boxes. I hope that if you take the time to retrieve the tickets

that you find a good one that someone overlooked. A ten dollar instant ticket find is like finding $10 on the street.

Good job to any who've found money! Keep at it, you might find a pretty good prize.

Sheesh!  I'm not dumpster diving.  There is always a stack of discarded scratchers laying next to the scanner or in a small container placed next to the scanner. 

And yeah, whether I found an owner or not if I won a huge amount of money on a discarded ticket I would feel bad for the person who mistakenly discarded it. It's called empathy. 

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #175682
                    June 30, 2016
                    25 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2016, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Lol, I wasn't dumpster diving on purpose. I just happened to pull up to vacuum my car and in the trash was a bunch of games I've been trying to win. Mainly the "evil" jumbo bucks games. All lies. So, once no one was looking, I slipped on some gloves and picked out about 30-40 tickets ranging from $1-$20. 

I also learned how how to mass scratch the fast way: take the coin across the numbers only in one swipe. I used to bother scratching off all numbers+prize just to see what lies I'd get. I even wonder if people don't even bother scratching the numbers, just scratch and scan the barcode only lol. 

I did one big second chance scan couple weeks ago. I had just registered, social security number, address and ID LOL. I spent something like a couple of TV shows scanning thru the piles of tickets I had saved plus the ones I found in the trash. I think the trashed ones accounted for half of the tickets. I was sickened by al, the wasted money, but I'm really hoping I win a second chance drawing this month so I can be done with this lottery for awhile lol.

Catpickednumber's avatar - cat anm.gif
                      Santa Cruz, California
                      United States
                      Member #175784
                      July 5, 2016
                      67 Posts
                      Posted: September 12, 2016, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Glad i'm not the only one picking trash..lol. The can is right next to the vending machine so why not.. 2nd chance is second chance.. Okay, so I found 180.00 worth of winning tickets in the trash.. It turns out they were already cashed.. Weird cause the stores usually keep them and turn them in I thought. I think the clerk was new and didn't realize this.. Anyway, after that I did find a winner in the trash of 4 dollars. It was a word game and only the top bonus word was the winner.. It was also scanned the code was rubbed off..so who knows how it got in the trash uncashed. Okay, so what I want to know from people who do not enter 2nd chance is why???? Why on earth do some people (not all) tear up the tickets so the codes are not intact with each other.. It is purposely done so people like us cannot use their codes to enter 2nd chance.. Why would a person be so rude and mean to do this.. They loose nothing if we get those tickets and enter them. If they through them out it doesn't matter if we winn from it. In fact what a nice give they would give another human if indeed we did win the 2nd chance. Why wouldn't someone throwing them away want this if they are too lazy to enter the codes.. Anyone with a phone can just scan the code to enter so I don't understand why it's so hard for people. I don't have a phone that scans to i am entering codes for 1/2 hour a day sometimes.. I love picking the trash next to the vending machines. One day i drove around to all the machines i knew off. I got like 50 tickets..i even pick the torn up ones and have matched them up.. But really the people who tear them up to prevent us from entering the codes are just plain rude people.

Santa Barbara
                        United States
                        Member #154772
                        April 28, 2014
                        95 Posts
                        Posted: September 29, 2016, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I dumpster dive also.  Yesterday I found 2 unscratched $2 tickets in the trash.  One of them was a winner (free ticket).  I cashed it in for the 2 bucks and bought 5 California Super Lotto Plus chances.

Catpickednumber's avatar - cat anm.gif
                          Santa Cruz, California
                          United States
                          Member #175784
                          July 5, 2016
                          67 Posts
                          Posted: September 30, 2016, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Lol. Glad i am not the only trash picker. I dont think that a lot of store customers know what i am doing. I find way more torn up tickets. Some i can piece together. I cannot imagine how many are winners. I bought a ticket and since it was a word one i just scratched the scan code and it said it was a non winner. So when itried to enter it second chance it would not go in. So it turned out to be a 10.00 winner. Now I know never to trust those vending machine scanners or any scanners. So many people just stand and scan at those machines..never even play the cards. So wherever you can find  a machine, those are good places to find possible winners..lol

United States
                            Member #164725
                            March 12, 2015
                            341 Posts
                            Posted: October 18, 2016, 10:46 am - IP Logged

I tried to enter a discarded Calif scratcher and it said error or already entered. So, I checked the ticket and it was a $30 winner. But alas, when I took it in to be scanned, it had already been paid out.  And I had felt so lucky all day!

Big Smile