Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Newbie, why choose the $5 over the $20, with same top prize

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 3 months ago by kaseydia.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Texas
United States
Member #176057
July 18, 2016
13 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2016, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi, sorry for a dumb question.  I'm getting in to the scratchers because I've lost a lot of money playing numbers, and am ready to win some money for a chance.   Hyper

TX has a $20 ticket with a top prize of $100k, and a $5 ticket with the same top prize of $100k.   (Sorry, tried to post the links, but I can't on the forum)  On the cheaper ticket, there are more prizes available too... so why wouldn't I just buy four basically for the price of one, and increase my odds?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22968 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2016, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

It's not a dumb question. You might see the same results if you go into buying scratchers multi's at a time. It sounds like

a good idea, compared with the odds..some people look at the odds as if 1 in 4 will certainly win, but they don't. The odds

posted are for the entire printing, which contains 6 million or more tickets per game. It's nice to take a shot at the instants

once in awhile hoping to snag a top prize but in that printing of 6 million or more per game, on the $20's there are roughly

4 - 5 top prizes, that's worse than needle in a haystack. Scratch tickets are fun, you can win instantly and you can lose the 

same way. There are lots of face value prizes out there and the idea settles in that you're back to where you started. So,

if you get lucky and hit small, you might think, why not? I'll just put it back in and try for something bigger. Might work,

might not...you don't know unless you try. But I think the best way to play these things is to buy one and walk away. Don't

ever try to buy up to a win, I've seen many, many players doing that and getting mad about it...I watched a guy once buy

and buy and buy - and these were $20 tickets! - and buy, nothing after nothing after nothing....then he stomped out after

whipping the last few he was playing in the trash. If you're getting sick of not hitting the pick 3 games, try some quick picks

at either $1 str or $1 box or even .50 str or .50 boxed....you'll spend less and might win more. If you look at the instant

games realistically, you'll be able to buy one and go, that's the best way. I've won many times on the first ticket out of

the machine and didn't feel like that guy after I left either. 

There are a lot of denominations of tickets and of course once you spend more per ticket, your chances of getting a nice

price are better but if you aren't looking for $100 once in awhile to satisfy you, you might wind up feeling the same about

scratchers as you do about pick numbers now. Just frustrated. 

Maybe you can stick with a favorite number and play that - change it up a little either by going one down or up from a digit

...like 345 = 445 or 346, pick three is awful at times, so I see where you're coming from...just remember the odds are really

bad for winning one of those top prizes they shove in everyone's face all the time. GL!!

Texas
      United States
      Member #176057
      July 18, 2016
      13 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2016, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks dr65!   Maybe I'll try some of the pick 3 games too, I just didn't think the odds were that good on them.  Honestly I don't get frustrated when I don't win.. I'm just frustrated at the horrible debt I'm in by caring for my mom with Alzheimers.. Maybe we should use lottery profits to fix this health care system, LOL. 

Good luck to you too!  Banana

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5615 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2016, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi, sorry for a dumb question.  I'm getting in to the scratchers because I've lost a lot of money playing numbers, and am ready to win some money for a chance.   Hyper

TX has a $20 ticket with a top prize of $100k, and a $5 ticket with the same top prize of $100k.   (Sorry, tried to post the links, but I can't on the forum)  On the cheaper ticket, there are more prizes available too... so why wouldn't I just buy four basically for the price of one, and increase my odds?

Welcome to LP Valerie!

Curious. What $20 ticket has a top prize of $100K?

The only $20 tic close to that is the $500000 Money Mania, which has a top prize of $500K. Every tic is at least a $5 (winner) on this game. Is this the one you're referring to?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

kaseydia's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg

United States
          Member #57795
          January 19, 2008
          188 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2016, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The $500,000 Money Mania ticket has not had a grand prize winner, according to the Tx Lottery website. It came out in Feb 2016 and not even 1 gp winner. Hmmmmm