Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is Sharing Lottery Methods Foolish?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 2 months ago by helpmewin.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3471 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2016, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

"it would be pretty easy for lottery officials to visit lotterypost and create algorithms to draws to go against what players most likely will pick"

Lottery officials have done more than just monitor LP. They've actually posted here in the past.  It would be possible to deliberately manipulate the results of computerized drawings, but you've got to be fairly paranoid to think they can manipulate ball drawings.

That begs the question of how they'd manipulate things based on anything posted here. Some people think that numbers that haven't been drawn for a while become due, so they could avoid drawing those numbers. Other people think that numbers that have been drawn more often are hot, so they could avoid drawing those numbers. The problem with that (aside from the delusion that the lottery needs to rely on anything other than probability to  make a fat profit) is that if they avoid numbers that haven't been drawn for a while and they avoid numbers that have recently been drawn more often it wouldn't be long before they'd have to avoid all numbers. They'd hardly have to pay attention ti anyoine here to know about it, but they could also reduce the chances of having a jackpot hit by avoiding birthday numbers.

Of course besides the idea of running out of numbers that they could draw, any manipulation would cause increasingly obvious departures from the random distribution that is expected. If that happened some of the people here who are experts at analyzing lottery results would figure it out in no time at all.

United States
    Member #123200
    February 15, 2012
    52 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2016, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I agree that Lottery officials do monitor this site, however I don’t think they care about your system until it starts costing them money. That is, you start WINNING!

For example, I discovered a pattern in the Virginia Pick3 game that, when back tested, was profitable for the past two years. I exploited this pattern for a few months in 2014 winning 2 to 3 times a week on $18 bets (2 bets per day). Then suddenly the pattern failed for two weeks in a row, so I decided to cease playing until I saw the pattern resume. It did not.

Below is a link to a chart of the profits, and losses, from this pattern (I stopped using it two weeks after the peak profit). Sure looks like something changed to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z94mqu6iq8tqede/pandl.png?dl=0

I think my mistake was always playing at the same lottery retailer. It likely threw up alarms when someone kept winning at the same place at a high rate. Also, note the Virginia Lottery uses Machines and Balls. If you are interested, the pattern I found was a set of 18 numbers, they were: 

051 108

135 255

278 358

381 465

490 493

607 614

631 671

710 815

871 992

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States