Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Vending Machine

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 months ago by QuickDrawDude.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
699 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2016, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Thursday I used a lottery vending machine for the first time in over a year. In the past, it made me scan my driver's license before buying but this time it just let me buy my ticket without scanning. Is that the norm now? Louisiana changed its driver's license design recently and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

JustJim's avatar - driver
    SunPrairie Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #162093
    December 21, 2014
    126 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2016, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

The vending machines here in my state (Wis) are for scratchers only and just plug in your cash with no scanning.  Are your vending machines for the draw type games (pick 3, pick 4, etc)?  Has anything changed in your state in how the winning tickets are redeemed?

Here's wishing everyone the good fortune they're looking for.  Remember, if you happen to win more than a couple bucks, try and donate a little to one of your favorite charities - keep that positive mojo working!

Baton Rouge, LA
      United States
      Member #4602
      May 7, 2004
      699 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2016, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

The vending machines here in my state (Wis) are for scratchers only and just plug in your cash with no scanning.  Are your vending machines for the draw type games (pick 3, pick 4, etc)?  Has anything changed in your state in how the winning tickets are redeemed?

Our vending machines sell both scratchers and draw games. They can also redeem winners but for more tickets only.

Prisoner Six

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
        Member #138729
        February 4, 2013
        2867 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2016, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm shocked that the vending machines don't require age verification.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
        MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
        Click me
        Open to EVERYONE- Click me

Wyomissing, PA
          United States
          Member #161050
          November 15, 2014
          301 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2016, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

Many states, such as Pennsylvania, don't require age check for buying tickets regardless of the lottery machine type. A lottery retailer on their own may ask for some proof of age (ie. a state id), including self-service terminal purchases, and I do seen that happen from time to time even at big name convenience stores.

PA is, reportedly, rolling out new self-service machines which accept debit, and possibly credit, cards. PA Lottery retailers, and likewise in some other states, have long been permitted to accept debit and even credit cards. Though, many don't due to fraud concerns and/or to avoid the extra processing fees involved.

Most retailers are far more concerned about carding for cigarettes, alcohol, cough medicine, along with other various miscellaneous items, such as spray paint and butane lighters. Checking age for lottery is usually way down the list of their worries.

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            699 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2016, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Many states, such as Pennsylvania, don't require age check for buying tickets regardless of the lottery machine type. A lottery retailer on their own may ask for some proof of age (ie. a state id), including self-service terminal purchases, and I do seen that happen from time to time even at big name convenience stores.

PA is, reportedly, rolling out new self-service machines which accept debit, and possibly credit, cards. PA Lottery retailers, and likewise in some other states, have long been permitted to accept debit and even credit cards. Though, many don't due to fraud concerns and/or to avoid the extra processing fees involved.

Most retailers are far more concerned about carding for cigarettes, alcohol, cough medicine, along with other various miscellaneous items, such as spray paint and butane lighters. Checking age for lottery is usually way down the list of their worries.

There are a couple of retailers here that ID everyone who is buying tickets, so I choose not to buy from those stores. I'm 48 years old and don't feel the need to show ID, so I just go elsewhere.

Prisoner Six

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: September 25, 2016, 7:10 am - IP Logged

In NY, I have not seen any of the vending machine requiring to scan your license. I had stopped at a truck stop in CT once and I had to scan my license with that lottery vending machine.

It does cut down on underage ticket buying, but it probably varies from state to state.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7297 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2016, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Checking IDs defeats the purpose of having lottery vending machines because it's more work for store clerks. It's almost like cigarette vending machines years ago; kids would buy cigarettes from machines when clerks were busy with other customers. I never saw anyone carded for cashing tickets worth $600 and under, but an ID with SS number is required for cashing tickets worth over $600.

Unluckyone's avatar - lib

United States
                  Member #176419
                  August 4, 2016
                  111 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2016, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

A lot of lottery vending machines do not give change so be careful!

QuickDrawDude's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #175422
                    June 15, 2016
                    59 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2016, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Have a pen and play slip with you whenever you play your draw numbers trough a vending machine. I've been burned a few time because I didn't fill out the play slip correctly and I didn't have a pen with me to correct my error. Also, the vending machines don't play $0.50 wagers.

It's a Cinderella story
                    On a tumble of the dice - (Rush - The Big Money from Power Windows)