Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you could play any US lottery from any state online would you switch to anonymous states?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 1 month ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you switch to buying tickets online in anonymous states?

Yes - Anonymity would be more attractive to me [ 23 ]  [79.31%]
Yes - My state is crooked/cursed [ 1 ]  [3.45%]
No - I prefer paper tickets [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No - Not important enough to me [ 3 ]  [10.34%]
Maybe - I'd mix online and paper tickets (habits?) [ 2 ]  [6.90%]
Total Valid Votes [ 29 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
604 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2016, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering what you people would do if the US government ever allowed true direct, official sales of online tickets from lottery comissions to at least us citizens.

Assuming the cost of games would be the same of offline sales in your states and all your games are available online.

This might be even more attractive if one wants to play in one of the states that wins frequently.

Example: You are a Florida resident, Florida discloses winner identity. You decide you'd rather buy in Delaware or Maryland.

If online sales were ever going to be permitted, I could see the end of winner identity disclosure, as anonymous states would, I believe, cannibalize non-anon lottery state revenues.

Nolege is power.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7297 Posts
    Posted: October 10, 2016, 12:03 am - IP Logged

I was wondering what you people would do if the US government ever allowed true direct, official sales of online tickets from lottery comissions to at least us citizens.

Assuming the cost of games would be the same of offline sales in your states and all your games are available online.

This might be even more attractive if one wants to play in one of the states that wins frequently.

Example: You are a Florida resident, Florida discloses winner identity. You decide you'd rather buy in Delaware or Maryland.

If online sales were ever going to be permitted, I could see the end of winner identity disclosure, as anonymous states would, I believe, cannibalize non-anon lottery state revenues.

I know what your asking, but players can buy tickets in other states. A few years ago when I lived in Ohio and the MM jackpot was in record territory, I bought tickets at gas station in Shelby Township, Michigan that was across the road from the store that sold the jackpot winning ticket. Had any of my tickets won something, I had to cash them in Michigan.

There are now states with Online MM and PB sales (I live in one of them, KY), but only state residence and people physically in the state can purchase those tickets. It's an issue with lots of LP members, but considering the odds of winning a jackpot, it shouldn't be.

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      604 Posts
      Posted: October 10, 2016, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I know what your asking, but players can buy tickets in other states. A few years ago when I lived in Ohio and the MM jackpot was in record territory, I bought tickets at gas station in Shelby Township, Michigan that was across the road from the store that sold the jackpot winning ticket. Had any of my tickets won something, I had to cash them in Michigan.

There are now states with Online MM and PB sales (I live in one of them, KY), but only state residence and people physically in the state can purchase those tickets. It's an issue with lots of LP members, but considering the odds of winning a jackpot, it shouldn't be.

Rght, but that's my point, if someone from California could play online in Delaware, without having to fly or drive there, would they do it?

Nolege is power.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7297 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2016, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Rght, but that's my point, if someone from California could play online in Delaware, without having to fly or drive there, would they do it?

First the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 must be repealed or changed. If that happens, I suppose the rules that apply to remaining anonymous now will remain the same. That would only apply to MM and PB games.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1182 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2016, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't opt to play in an anonymous state if they could do so with almost zero effort. I know some people will bring up playing in a state with no lottery tax might be preferential. I could see the draw in keeping millions of dollars more. But I care a whole lot less about taxes or "lucky states" than I do about anonymity. To me anonymity trumps everything else and is second only to actually winning a big jackpot.

HAMMY WAMMY's avatar - lib
            Utah
            United States
            Member #169454
            October 18, 2015
            30 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2016, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Living in Utah without a lottery I have always gone up to Idaho to buy my lotto.... That is until last year when Wyoming got the lottery and has the option to remain anonymous. Even though Wy lottery doest have nearly as many draw games or any scratchers I Choose to play there because I want to be anonymous when I win. Wyoming will be getting Lucky For Life soon which I am excited about :}

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
              N.C.
              United States
              Member #56005
              October 28, 2007
              825 Posts
              Posted: October 10, 2016, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I know of this site Lucke zone, in thier rules it states that
              they will kick you from the site, and or not pay out winners
              from other states. I don't see how they can legaly do that,
              just something I remember reading.

yes, definately anonymity is what I would strive for.
              safety and peace of mind for family and myself of course.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                604 Posts
                Posted: October 10, 2016, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't opt to play in an anonymous state if they could do so with almost zero effort. I know some people will bring up playing in a state with no lottery tax might be preferential. I could see the draw in keeping millions of dollars more. But I care a whole lot less about taxes or "lucky states" than I do about anonymity. To me anonymity trumps everything else and is second only to actually winning a big jackpot.

And when you look at that, no state tax and no disclosure, Wyoming and Delaware would make out like bandits.

Nolege is power.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                  Member #169277
                  October 10, 2015
                  630 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2016, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Just imagine if you could buy tickets anywhere and states had to start competing with each other for our business. Ball drawings instead of RNG, anonymity, better payouts. 

Sounds good to me.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7297 Posts
                    Posted: October 12, 2016, 12:11 am - IP Logged

If you live in a state that has state taxes, it doesn't matter if you win in another state, they will take their cut.

Marana AZ
                      United States
                      Member #145341
                      August 3, 2013
                      178 Posts
                      Posted: October 12, 2016, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

If you live in a state that has state taxes, it doesn't matter if you win in another state, they will take their cut.

Exactly.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #123290
                        February 17, 2012
                        3048 Posts
                        Posted: October 12, 2016, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to ask Todd or will probably go directly e-mail The Lotter because I wanted to ask

if you can purchase Powerball or MegaMillions from states that are anonymous.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23260 Posts
                          Posted: October 12, 2016, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to ask Todd or will probably go directly e-mail The Lotter because I wanted to ask

if you can purchase Powerball or MegaMillions from states that are anonymous.

Yes, I believe you can, and you should be able to achieve the same anonymity as a winner who lives in that state would.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                            Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #123290
                            February 17, 2012
                            3048 Posts
                            Posted: October 12, 2016, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I believe you can, and you should be able to achieve the same anonymity as a winner who lives in that state would.

Yes! AlrightThumbs Upthat would be great!!

Germany
                              Member #164603
                              March 8, 2015
                              604 Posts
                              Posted: October 13, 2016, 7:19 am - IP Logged

You can't on theLotter however, because their tickets are bought in New Jersey, Florida and New York.

(Maybe I didn't understand them correctly, I thought they wanted to buy in a state that allows anonymity)

MegaMillions

"Tickets for this lottery are purchased in either New Jersey or New York"

https://<snip>/lottery-numbers/usa-megamillions/

Powerball:

"Tickets for this lottery are purchased in either Florida, New Jersey or New York. "

https://<snip>/lottery-numbers/usa-powerball

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Nolege is power.