Welcome Guest
You last visited July 31, 2021, 7:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you play PB & MM despite the jackpot size or..

26 replies. Last post 18 days ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Chasing $ Millions.
White Shores- California
United States
Member #136471
December 12, 2012
6684 Posts

Do you wait for it to reach a certain number before you put your money down?

* Voice of Reason *   

* The Truth Hurts *

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    I got $5 on it!
    Florida
    United States
    Member #77813
    August 1, 2009
    6543 Posts

No! I buy 1 ticket every draw. Sometimes I don't know or remember what the jackpot is.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55887
      October 23, 2007
      11524 Posts

I generally play every draw for both games though I did skip MM for a draw or 2 last couple weeks.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Florida
        United States
        Member #186822
        January 2, 2018
        364 Posts

I play regardless of the jackpot amount. However I do skip a draw every now and then.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
          Member #3792
          February 21, 2004
          213 Posts

I wait until it grows a little bit. The mega and powerball are supposed to start at 40 million. They told us it was going down to 20 million because of the pandemic. It is now one and a half years later, when is it going back to 40 million?

Chasing $ Millions.
            White Shores- California
            United States
            Member #136471
            December 12, 2012
            6684 Posts

I wait until it grows a little bit. The mega and powerball are supposed to start at 40 million. They told us it was going down to 20 million because of the pandemic. It is now one and a half years later, when is it going back to 40 million?

*l wish l  knew when they going to get it back  to a $40mil start HiFi.

*l think everyone who plays the lottery wants to know.

* Voice of Reason *   

* The Truth Hurts *

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

hearsetrax's avatar - alien on_computer.jpg

United States
              Member #52343
              May 21, 2007
              3371 Posts

I play when the mood strikes most of the time 

CDanaT's avatar - Nolz june15.jpg
                Central TN
                United States
                Member #121187
                January 4, 2012
                5328 Posts

Wait for the cash value to reach at least $100 - $125 Million . After $150M I play every draw. That $2 per ticket greed aspect a few years ago resolved my desire to play.

Integrity: There is just no substitute.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30469
                  January 17, 2006
                  11580 Posts

Those playing for the jackpot often wait for the jackpot to grow (well I want other people to build it up for me?)

Those playing for 5 + 0 usually kick in the extra buck hoping for a multiplier.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any. So many systems, so many theories, so few jackpot winners. 

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55887
                    October 23, 2007
                    11524 Posts

Those playing for the jackpot often wait for the jackpot to grow (well I want other people to build it up for me?)

Those playing for 5 + 0 usually kick in the extra buck hoping for a multiplier.

"Those playing for 5+0 usually kick in the extra buck hoping for a multiplier."

That would be me!

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                      Florida - West Coast
                      United States
                      Member #92605
                      June 10, 2010
                      5087 Posts

"Those playing for 5+0 usually kick in the extra buck hoping for a multiplier."

That would be me!

You can include me in that group. I rarely know what the jackpot is because I never pay attention to it. I'm playing for a second place win.

Whenever I play, I play the same line multiple times on my ticket and add The PowerPlay option.  Doing that creates what I call a "double multiplier". If you match the PowerBall and one or two white ball numbers you can win a nice prize.  I once matched The PB and two white ball numbers and The PowerPlay number was 4.  Because I had played the exact same line three times on my ticket, I won $84. The tough part of doing that is I had to pay 9 bucks for what amounted to playing one line instead of three.

There's another thing about doing this that I wonder about.  And that's would MUSL have paid me six million if I had matched 5 white balls?  My guess is they would, if I was the only second place winner.  After all, if three different players in three different states bought the PowerPlay and matched all five white balls, they'd have to pay each of them two million. But suppose I too had won six million, then they'd have had to pay out a total of 12 million.  I dont think they've ever had to pay out that much money in the past to all of the second prize winners. That makes me wonder if they'd say they dont have enough money in the prize pool and divide the payout equally among all winners.  I'd still get the lion share of the pay out, but do they have a limit of how much they can pay out for each drawing? G5

Players who've won large lottery jackpots have something in common. Many of them say "I've played the lottery for years, but I never won anything but small prizes."   That's normal or typical, but it's also why you should not get discouraged and stop playing.  Who knows?  Maybe someday you'll say "I've played the lottery for years...."

OhSoClose's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        Tyrone, PA
                        United States
                        Member #198217
                        May 15, 2019
                        129 Posts

Buddy of mine used to play every draw, regardless of jackpot size and always included the powerplay option. One ticket, same numbers every time. Never really paid attention to what the payoffs were. So he checks his numbers one day and realizes he's hit 4 out of 5, missed the powerball, and the multiplier is 2x. He starts doing the happy dance, figuring that the jackpot was well over 100 million, so 4 of out 5 should be pretty sweet, especially since it's times 2.

He goes in to cash the ticket and the guy says congrats, you won $200. What? $200? Yep, that's it. Worst part was his 5th number was off by one, so he missed a 2 million win by one number. Left a bad taste as you can imagine. He still plays, but kind of grudgingly now, figuring to get that close was probably as close as he's ever going to get.

hearsetrax's avatar - alien on_computer.jpg

United States
                          Member #52343
                          May 21, 2007
                          3371 Posts

Buddy of mine used to play every draw, regardless of jackpot size and always included the powerplay option. One ticket, same numbers every time. Never really paid attention to what the payoffs were. So he checks his numbers one day and realizes he's hit 4 out of 5, missed the powerball, and the multiplier is 2x. He starts doing the happy dance, figuring that the jackpot was well over 100 million, so 4 of out 5 should be pretty sweet, especially since it's times 2.

He goes in to cash the ticket and the guy says congrats, you won $200. What? $200? Yep, that's it. Worst part was his 5th number was off by one, so he missed a 2 million win by one number. Left a bad taste as you can imagine. He still plays, but kind of grudgingly now, figuring to get that close was probably as close as he's ever going to get.

👴 $200 is better then a poke in the eye 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23834
                            October 16, 2005
                            4432 Posts

"I'm playing for a second place win."

Then why bother playing PB at all?  Most states have multiple games that offer prizes of $1 million and often a bit more, and they frequently offer a better deal. Win for life gives you almost twice the chances of winning $1000/week for life (close to annual income from a safe investment of the after-tax 2nd place PB prize) for only $2, about half the chance to win $1000/day (much better than the 2nd place PB prize), and you also have $1 left over. The same $6/week for PB tickets would let you play win for life 2x a week and then buy one Lotto ticket, adding the chance of winning that grand prize. I expect there are a bunch of similar scratch game choices, too.

"would MUSL have paid me six million"

The smaller prizes are mostly administered by the individual state lotteries, and they normally pay all of the lower tier prizes, but it seems to be MUSL (or the group members collectively) that  decides if/when lower tier prizes become parimutuel. There are reserve funds specifically for cases where the prize pool doesn't have enough money, and one of the rules is that  up to $40 million can come from on of those finds if the money is available. That they decided to pay out the full amount for the fortune cookie second place prize makes me think it would take a lot more than one or two people wining 2 or 3 2nd place prizes to make it parimutuel.

FWIW I've never seen anything that explains how states with really low ticket sales are expected to pay the 2nd place prize. Some states often have sales of less than $50k and the USVI is sometimes  about 10k. Factoring in how much  they'd  be paying toward the jackpot and other prizes it would literally take  years of sales to cover that.

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55887
                              October 23, 2007
                              11524 Posts

"I'm playing for a second place win."

Then why bother playing PB at all?  Most states have multiple games that offer prizes of $1 million and often a bit more, and they frequently offer a better deal. Win for life gives you almost twice the chances of winning $1000/week for life (close to annual income from a safe investment of the after-tax 2nd place PB prize) for only $2, about half the chance to win $1000/day (much better than the 2nd place PB prize), and you also have $1 left over. The same $6/week for PB tickets would let you play win for life 2x a week and then buy one Lotto ticket, adding the chance of winning that grand prize. I expect there are a bunch of similar scratch game choices, too.

"would MUSL have paid me six million"

The smaller prizes are mostly administered by the individual state lotteries, and they normally pay all of the lower tier prizes, but it seems to be MUSL (or the group members collectively) that  decides if/when lower tier prizes become parimutuel. There are reserve funds specifically for cases where the prize pool doesn't have enough money, and one of the rules is that  up to $40 million can come from on of those finds if the money is available. That they decided to pay out the full amount for the fortune cookie second place prize makes me think it would take a lot more than one or two people wining 2 or 3 2nd place prizes to make it parimutuel.

FWIW I've never seen anything that explains how states with really low ticket sales are expected to pay the 2nd place prize. Some states often have sales of less than $50k and the USVI is sometimes  about 10k. Factoring in how much  they'd  be paying toward the jackpot and other prizes it would literally take  years of sales to cover that.

Personally, I've considered what you say here in Texas. The odds of hitting 5+0 in MM or PB are approximately 1 in 12 million to 1 in 13 million (depending on the game). The odds of hitting the Lotto jackpot in Texas are approximately 1 in 26 million. Right now the Lotto jackpot (cash, not annuity) is $3.99 million. Of course, the biggest difference is the cost of a ticket. $2 for MM and PB ($3 with multiplier), $1 for Lotto. 

The Texas 2 Step occasionally will roll to a million plus, and the odds are really good, but it's parimutuel and tix are $1.

All or Nothing can get you a million or more depending on how you play. I used to play the same and opposing numbers 4 or even 5 times. But, the odds are approximately 1 in 2,700,000 for 0 numbers or 12 numbers correct. And to play for a million means spending $8. For what it's worth, AoN has paid back more money for me than any other game because of the overall odds. But the cost plus the fact I have to make a daily trek to the store was a hassle. With other games I buy a weeks worth if tix at one time. 

To each his own.