Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2021, 10:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you still turn in dishonest Lottery Clerk even after they gave you your full amount?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 months ago by cottoneyedjoe.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Miami Florida
United States
Member #191036
July 13, 2018
493 Posts

A guy on YouTube Comments  said that a dishonest Lottery Clerk tried to cheat him out of $100 or something like that, he told her off as he KNEW it was a $100 Winning Ticket. She gave him his $100 and he said he didn't report her since she gave him his $100. I think he may have wondered if he still should (Or is that shouldn't) have reported her for trying to steal the $100 in the first place. 

A man on YouTube Comments  said he had a Winning Front Pair Pick 4 ticket worth $25. The dishonest Lottery Clerk  handed him a $20. He said,"I'm sure your Boss or Bosses and Lottery Corporate will love to know that you attempt to steal $5 from your Customers. " She made flimsy excuses, and he cut her off and was like,"Please just give me my other $5." She gave him his $5 and he STILL informed her that he would STILL be reporting her to her Boss or Bosses and Lottery Corporate since she shouldn't have attempted to steal $5 from him in the first place. 

Would you STILL Report a Dishonest Lottery Clerk even after they gave you your full amount after they attempted to steal from you?

"What's your ADDRESS?" May be the CREEPIEST question EVER asked to a Lottery Winner! O.O WTF?

At first, I found the one digit away draws kind of amusing, but now I am PISSED! 15 or 16 times I was off by just one digit in recent times!🤬 No longer find this amusing, it's making me REALLY angry now!🤬

NJJim's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    Bergen County NJ
    United States
    Member #104844
    January 21, 2011
    494 Posts

My short answer, in most cases, is no.  There are so many variables though.  If it's one of those dinky corner store joints, I just wouldn't go back there again, maybe post what happened on Yelp or Google.  But if you mean report it to whomever the manager or owner is, first, there's the old your word against theirs stalemate, and then there's the set up where the clerk is the owner's relative, or more likely, it's such a minor thing, the owner just doesn't care.  As long as the clerk wasn't stealing from the store, a legit complaint will probably not get off the ground.  Lots of other stuff to consider, and since I have time my hands, here I go.

A reasonable deterrent is let's say it's a corporate chain of some significance, one really worried about bad publicity.  Let's say they want to set an example for the rest of the staff, a lesson on ethics, etc.  They may want you to get involved in a formal documentation of "the incident" which will involve you leaving contact info, and for most that is getting way too involved.  if it's a store you frequent, you now have to change your routine and not patronize it because you'll be known, by that clerk if they aren't fired, and others that hear of the incident.  Think of it like this: is it worth your time to see a formal complaint through?  At this level?

I understand your desire to not have the clerk arrogantly feel they can keep attempting fraud and getting away with it more times than not on others, like senior citizens and the lesser attentive.  I would want them to think there is some consequence, and unfortunately, one of the best deterrents is the street justice of them fearing physical repercussions.  Two examples:. There was a story in North Jersey about a female driver paying for gas, ( in NJ, an attendant must pump it for you), giving the man  20 bucks for 10 dollars of gas and him saying thank you.  Reminding him she gave him a 20, he smirked and said "prove it".   Theatening to call the cops on him might rectify it that time, but they'll only try it again.  Now if everytime he tried that, the cops were called and though the whole he said she said thing might not end in your favor, the hassle of having the cops called multiple times to his workplace could be the deterrent.  The street justice part is warning him that you'll be calling your boyfriend/husband and they'll be here in a few minutes, possibly with friends to "discuss it".   Most clerks won't want to escalate things.  Might even make them give up the cheating habit.

Oh and secondly, the parallel example is personal.  My wife came home and said a clerk in a small convenience store said something sexually inappropriate to her.  I went right back with her and told her to point him out.  Make sure he sees he's being pointed out and why.  You should have seen that jokers face.  I'm wasn't about to get physical but he didn't know that.  A few terse words and I doubt he would try that again.  Sounds uncivil but there's no better deterrent that feeling one will be called on their transgressions right on the spot.

Seems so simple: three digits, 168 to one odds when boxed... all you have to do is pick the right ones!

HoLeeKau's avatar - 40827 jpg?1576607320
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94279
      July 17, 2010
      2423 Posts

I'd report the clerk to lottery security, and to the retailer's corporate office.  Use email so that there is permanent proof that the complaint exists.

My reasoning is that they will keep doing it until there are consequences.  Why let them ruin someone else's day by stealing $100 or ruin their life by stealing a couple hundred grand or a million from some trusting soul who didn't realize they had a winning ticket and just wanted it checked.

Most (maybe all) state lotteries have the ability to check which tickets were scanned at each retailer, and each scan has a time stamp.  If you know what time you were there, that's a pretty good indicator that you're telling the truth.

Before someone says it's the player's responsibility to check it at a check station first, I was just in Oregon and checked a ticket at a vending machine and it said to take it to a clerk, but it didn't say how much it won.  It was a $2 winner.  In Idaho, the machines tell you how much it won up to a certain amount - $100 I think? - and asks if you wish to add it as a credit.  If it's over a certain amount, it doesn't tell you how much, it just tells you to take it to a clerk.

As an aside, I can't believe that Oregon vending machines can't give me credit for a $2 winner.  Dang, it's a pain to wait in line at customer service for $2.  I'm sure the CS employees don't appreciate clogging up their lines either.

Miami Florida
        United States
        Member #191036
        July 13, 2018
        493 Posts

I'd report the clerk to lottery security, and to the retailer's corporate office.  Use email so that there is permanent proof that the complaint exists.

My reasoning is that they will keep doing it until there are consequences.  Why let them ruin someone else's day by stealing $100 or ruin their life by stealing a couple hundred grand or a million from some trusting soul who didn't realize they had a winning ticket and just wanted it checked.

Most (maybe all) state lotteries have the ability to check which tickets were scanned at each retailer, and each scan has a time stamp.  If you know what time you were there, that's a pretty good indicator that you're telling the truth.

Before someone says it's the player's responsibility to check it at a check station first, I was just in Oregon and checked a ticket at a vending machine and it said to take it to a clerk, but it didn't say how much it won.  It was a $2 winner.  In Idaho, the machines tell you how much it won up to a certain amount - $100 I think? - and asks if you wish to add it as a credit.  If it's over a certain amount, it doesn't tell you how much, it just tells you to take it to a clerk.

As an aside, I can't believe that Oregon vending machines can't give me credit for a $2 winner.  Dang, it's a pain to wait in line at customer service for $2.  I'm sure the CS employees don't appreciate clogging up their lines either.

Reporting to the Retailer's CORPORATE is actually a good idea. The People who ALMOST got cheated mentioned reporting to the Clerk's Boss or Bosses, but they weren't talking about the Retailer's CORPORATE.

"What's your ADDRESS?" May be the CREEPIEST question EVER asked to a Lottery Winner! O.O WTF?

At first, I found the one digit away draws kind of amusing, but now I am PISSED! 15 or 16 times I was off by just one digit in recent times!🤬 No longer find this amusing, it's making me REALLY angry now!🤬

Miami Florida
          United States
          Member #191036
          July 13, 2018
          493 Posts

My short answer, in most cases, is no.  There are so many variables though.  If it's one of those dinky corner store joints, I just wouldn't go back there again, maybe post what happened on Yelp or Google.  But if you mean report it to whomever the manager or owner is, first, there's the old your word against theirs stalemate, and then there's the set up where the clerk is the owner's relative, or more likely, it's such a minor thing, the owner just doesn't care.  As long as the clerk wasn't stealing from the store, a legit complaint will probably not get off the ground.  Lots of other stuff to consider, and since I have time my hands, here I go.

A reasonable deterrent is let's say it's a corporate chain of some significance, one really worried about bad publicity.  Let's say they want to set an example for the rest of the staff, a lesson on ethics, etc.  They may want you to get involved in a formal documentation of "the incident" which will involve you leaving contact info, and for most that is getting way too involved.  if it's a store you frequent, you now have to change your routine and not patronize it because you'll be known, by that clerk if they aren't fired, and others that hear of the incident.  Think of it like this: is it worth your time to see a formal complaint through?  At this level?

I understand your desire to not have the clerk arrogantly feel they can keep attempting fraud and getting away with it more times than not on others, like senior citizens and the lesser attentive.  I would want them to think there is some consequence, and unfortunately, one of the best deterrents is the street justice of them fearing physical repercussions.  Two examples:. There was a story in North Jersey about a female driver paying for gas, ( in NJ, an attendant must pump it for you), giving the man  20 bucks for 10 dollars of gas and him saying thank you.  Reminding him she gave him a 20, he smirked and said "prove it".   Theatening to call the cops on him might rectify it that time, but they'll only try it again.  Now if everytime he tried that, the cops were called and though the whole he said she said thing might not end in your favor, the hassle of having the cops called multiple times to his workplace could be the deterrent.  The street justice part is warning him that you'll be calling your boyfriend/husband and they'll be here in a few minutes, possibly with friends to "discuss it".   Most clerks won't want to escalate things.  Might even make them give up the cheating habit.

Oh and secondly, the parallel example is personal.  My wife came home and said a clerk in a small convenience store said something sexually inappropriate to her.  I went right back with her and told her to point him out.  Make sure he sees he's being pointed out and why.  You should have seen that jokers face.  I'm wasn't about to get physical but he didn't know that.  A few terse words and I doubt he would try that again.  Sounds uncivil but there's no better deterrent that feeling one will be called on their transgressions right on the spot.

Hmm. You are right about the Owner(s)and Clerk(s) possibly being related and the Owner/s not care about attempted Fraud from Customers for only $5 or $100. The thought of the Owner/s possibly being in on attempted and successful thefts cross my mind. But complaing to Lottery Corporate would definitely make Lottery Officials want to look into the store where Clerk/s try or successfully steal Lottery Winners from Customers.

Speler's avatar - me

Belgium
            Member #214858
            April 17, 2021
            1153 Posts

I didn't have any problems with clerks but with their machines!

Miami Florida
              United States
              Member #191036
              July 13, 2018
              493 Posts

I didn't have any problems with clerks but with their machines!

Do you mean when the Lottery Machine malfunctions? The ONLY REAL problem I had was when I played 2,4,6,8,10 Fantasy Five with an EZ Match. 4 matched $500 and I was JUST starting to cheer and celebrate when I realized the Lottery Clerk ACTUALLY hit quick pick and the quick pick matched NOTHING! I showed her my slip and the quick pick ticket and told her off for costing me a $500 win... She didn't look all that remorseful...:/

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                2575 Posts

Clerk would have to do something truly egregious for me to report him/her. Pretty much I buy and cash tickets at the same place and know the clerks well enough to joke and kid with them. 

And I'm sure it works both ways. Clerks are handed tickets that are not winners and are expected to cash them as if they were. Could get heated quickly when you're dealing with a person who is convinced he's won and the machine keeps saying, "not a winner."

The biggest improvement you'll ever make in the odds of winning is buying a lottery ticket. With just one ticket the odds go from IMPOSSIBLE to IMPROBABLE!

Miami Florida
                  United States
                  Member #191036
                  July 13, 2018
                  493 Posts

Clerk would have to do something truly egregious for me to report him/her. Pretty much I buy and cash tickets at the same place and know the clerks well enough to joke and kid with them. 

And I'm sure it works both ways. Clerks are handed tickets that are not winners and are expected to cash them as if they were. Could get heated quickly when you're dealing with a person who is convinced he's won and the machine keeps saying, "not a winner."

IIRC, a Lottery Post Member said that he knew he had a Winning Ticket and gave it to a Lottery Clerk to scan. She said it was not a Winner. He was JUST about to cuss her out but then she gave him his exact Winning Ticket back and some kind of receipt and he realized this was NOT her fault at all. For some reason the machine had been malfunctioning...

Speler's avatar - me

Belgium
                    Member #214858
                    April 17, 2021
                    1153 Posts

Do you mean when the Lottery Machine malfunctions? The ONLY REAL problem I had was when I played 2,4,6,8,10 Fantasy Five with an EZ Match. 4 matched $500 and I was JUST starting to cheer and celebrate when I realized the Lottery Clerk ACTUALLY hit quick pick and the quick pick matched NOTHING! I showed her my slip and the quick pick ticket and told her off for costing me a $500 win... She didn't look all that remorseful...:/

Not looking remorseful?

I have seen a ton of crooks, thieves, transmigrants, criminals, cheaters, drugsusers and so on.

Miami Florida
                      United States
                      Member #191036
                      July 13, 2018
                      493 Posts

Not looking remorseful?

I have seen a ton of crooks, thieves, transmigrants, criminals, cheaters, drugsusers and so on.

She cost me a $500 win! She could have at LEAST looked REALLY sorry for that!

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32651
                        February 14, 2006
                        9334 Posts

I Agree!

And it sure looks like these people posting videos about their version of what happened on You Tube are looking for their two minutes of fame. I usually go to same store to buy and cash tickets too, but if I'm "cashing and replaying" without knowing if the tickets is a winner or for how much, I'll scan it before handing it to the clerk.

And it does work both ways here too because a line usually forms while a player is arguing their case. Be different if a clerk said the ticket is not a winner and keeps the ticket, but here they hand the ticket back. The other day saw a woman trying to pay for scratch-offs with a two party check.

It's not my fault! I voted for Amy.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32651
                          February 14, 2006
                          9334 Posts

Don't want to sound uncaring, but why didn't you at least look at the ticket before leaving the counter?

It's not my fault! I voted for Amy.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            Happyland
                            United States
                            Member #146338
                            September 1, 2013
                            1175 Posts

I've never met a dishonest clerk, so if anything I would just be reporting them for Employee of the Month. I don't need to check my tickets, they are trustworthy enough and never make mistakes. Funny thing is I always win $5, but the big one is coming for sure.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

grwurston's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              Same #'s, different games.
                              Here
                              United States
                              Member #90247
                              April 24, 2010
                              10798 Posts

Top 10 ways to avoid getting ripped off by a lottery clerk.

10) Check your ticket before you go to the store to make sure it is actually a winner.

9) Know how much you won before you go to the store.

8) Tell the clerk how much it's worth before handing him the ticket.

7) Make sure they have enough cash on hand before they scan it.

6) If they can't cash it for the full amount, leave and come back later, or go somewhere else.

5) When you hand the clerk the ticket, tell him you want a receipt. The receipt will say how much it was worth. 

4) Check the prize amount and date/time stamp on the receipt. It should be right now, not yesterday or a half hour ago.

3) Get your money out of eye range of other customers if possible.

2) Recount your money BEFORE you leave the store.

And the #1 way to avoid getting ripped off by a lottery clerk...sign the freaking ticket.

The lottery is the same way. 

https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis