Welcome Guest
You last visited May 27, 2022, 8:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Billionaire Mark Cuban advise for potential lottery winners

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 4 months ago by Scrubber.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ah1963's avatar - hadi12

United States
Member #208640
July 31, 2020
1194 Posts

Billionaire Mark Cuban doesn't seem to believe the old adage, "Sharing is caring." In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, he advised potential lottery winners to think twice before lending money to anyone. His advice is applicable to anyone who comes across a financial windfall.

"Tell all your friends and relatives 'no,'" Cuban said. "They will ask. Tell them 'no.' If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help some, but talk to your accountant before you do anything. And remember this: No one needs $1 million dollars for anything. No one needs $100,000 for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend."

"People seem good while they are oppressed, but they only wish to become oppressors in their turn: life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim."

cottoneyedjoe's avatar - cuonvFT

United States
    Member #197030
    March 28, 2019
    1050 Posts

Billionaire Mark Cuban doesn't seem to believe the old adage, "Sharing is caring." In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, he advised potential lottery winners to think twice before lending money to anyone. His advice is applicable to anyone who comes across a financial windfall.

"Tell all your friends and relatives 'no,'" Cuban said. "They will ask. Tell them 'no.' If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help some, but talk to your accountant before you do anything. And remember this: No one needs $1 million dollars for anything. No one needs $100,000 for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend."

"No one needs $1 million dollars for anything."

Then I guess he doesn't need a billion for anything either.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30469
      January 17, 2006
      11655 Posts

That doesn't mean Cuban doesn't believe in 'sharing is caring'. 

The gist of what he said is "watch out for mooches".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any. So many systems, so many theories, so few jackpot winners. 

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #220264
        January 25, 2022
        3 Posts

Cuban is in Texas.  In Texas, a State Law passed a few years ago allows you to claim any lottery jackpot anonymously. That's most do now anyways.  You don't even need to bother with setting up trusts or LLC's, unless you want to for other reasons.  I'm in Texas, so I'm up the date on these laws.  His advice should be to claim anonymously.

No is one is going to know I won, except my parents, who are wealthy enough. I don't intend to flaunt the money, I intend to invest a large portion of a jackpot into growth dividend ETFs, with the remainder in index ETFS like VT or VTI. Maybe I'll buy a house or car, and if people ask, I'll say my day job has been doing well, which is plausible.

QuickDrawDude's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #175415
          June 15, 2016
          131 Posts

Cuban believes capitalism is harmed when we extend financial help to others thus hindering future business start-ups. People are already given opportunities under capitalism that enables them to better themselves. Always claim jackpots though an L.L.C. to prevent family and friend fallouts.

It's a Cinderella story
          On a tumble of the dice - (Rush - The Big Money from Power Windows)

ah1963's avatar - hadi12

United States
            Member #208640
            July 31, 2020
            1194 Posts

Cuban believes capitalism is harmed when we extend financial help to others thus hindering future business start-ups. People are already given opportunities under capitalism that enables them to better themselves. Always claim jackpots though an L.L.C. to prevent family and friend fallouts.

' If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help some, but talk to your accountant before you do anything."

His advice to verify who actual need help. Not to give some one to buy a a Porche.

"People seem good while they are oppressed, but they only wish to become oppressors in their turn: life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim."

Stat$talker's avatar - animated sphere.gif
              700 light yrs West of Milky Way Galaxy's Center
              United States
              Member #200642
              September 1, 2019
              2476 Posts

That doesn't mean Cuban doesn't believe in 'sharing is caring'. 

The gist of what he said is "watch out for mooches".

I Agree!

...MATH... The final Stochastic frontier...

These are the Lottery Voyages of Stat$talker..!!

The ongoing Mission,..to seek out the Laws of "Probability Math"...

to master its rules to invoke...to Conquer ALL Major Jackpots..!!

...To boldly go,... Where NO Player has gone before...!!

rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
                Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
                The Hall Of The Mountain Kings Tennessee
                United States
                Member #73902
                April 28, 2009
                15287 Posts

I've always thought that guy was a jerk.

Still do.

db101's avatar - RB55Ms1

United States
                  Member #202920
                  December 14, 2019
                  514 Posts

A starter home almost anywhere costs more than 100k. Way more. This guy sounds like a modern day Marie Antoinette with no idea how the common man lives nor what their normal expenses are.

rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
                    Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
                    The Hall Of The Mountain Kings Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #73902
                    April 28, 2009
                    15287 Posts

A starter home almost anywhere costs more than 100k. Way more. This guy sounds like a modern day Marie Antoinette with no idea how the common man lives nor what their normal expenses are.

Roger that, db101.

That's the vibe I always got from him, even on that Shark Tank Show.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                      Member #4121
                      March 23, 2004
                      819 Posts

I will take his advice.

Canada
                        Member #202880
                        December 12, 2019
                        69 Posts

Not a fan of his, but this is worth checking out.

https://www.healthcarepackaging.com/quick-hits/article/22018139/mark-cuban-launched-his-generic-online-pharmacy