Welcome Guest
You last visited April 20, 2018, 4:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

i cant win

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 15 years ago by fbird.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
suger as spice's avatar - disney09

United States
Member #1245
March 9, 2003
36 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2003, 1:52 am - IP Logged

i never and be struggling to have  cant win on the va scratch offs it hard to win some thing if you dont got any moneyand i try to win but i cant get my money back these are rip off on these instant  scratch offsand it bad for us poor people around this world that plays it for fun or to win some thing in their life.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    24272 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2003, 4:20 am - IP Logged

Scratch-offs can be quite addictive because of their "instant" qualities - it's very easy to run back in the store (or never leave!) and buy some more cards after not winning.  I would say only play scratch-offs purely for fun with money that you're totally prepared to lose.  Especially since they have the worst odds of any lottery game.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
      Atlantic Mine, Michigan
      United States
      Member #416
      June 23, 2002
      1614 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2003, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Well they do have bad odds at winning prizes but not too bad overall.  I mean a $5 ticket in Michigan has approximate overall odds of 1 in 3.5.  That isn't too bad, even if you only win your $5 back.  Instant games are addictive like you said though because of their instant qualities.  Usually you keep buying until you win.  That can add up once in awhile

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        20156 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2003, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Remember Brad,

That odds of 1:3.5 can be deceptive because it includes free tickets.  For example in the Ohio649P had odds of 1:451 of winning a prize when they paid a prize for matching three numbers plus the bonus ball or better.  Then they changed the rule so that matching three numbers only would get you a free QP ticket with annunity pay only, and changed the odds of winning a prize to 1:54.  The QP doesn't give you the same choices you would have with a dollar so many say that the QP is not a prize, but a second chance which would be two plays for a dollar which would reduce the odds to 1:250 not 1:54 and that only when you win a free QP.

Every lottery games play with the math to make the odds look better than they really are.  If they published a list of a the available prizes and the available tickets, a player would really know their chances of winning something.

RJOh

United States
          Member #1047
          January 17, 2003
          348 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2003, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Try playing the scratch off tickets in NY.  They seem to work well!!

Don't blow all your winnings in one place - Choose Annuity

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2003, 9:00 am - IP Logged

Except the ones that won't pay in lump sum.

fbird's avatar - nw archer.jpg
              White Lake,Mi
              United States
              Member #1495
              May 12, 2003
              5548 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2003, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Let it be known that the instant tickets are the biggest money maker for the state lotteries. Yes, I do play them occassionaly, but usually after I have hit something else. When they do offer lower odds that is with the expectation that you will automatically turn that face value ticket back in for another. Also about 8 years ago they use to offer, here in Michigan a $500. prize as one of the prizes on a $2. instant, but no longer offer it ... why ? who knows. That was when I quit purchasing them. Bottom line is they are a rip-off.Your better off to play a 3 digit and actually have a chance to win something.

your pal,

VAL

VAL

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus