Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What does Range mean?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 14 years ago by emilyg.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1178
February 22, 2003
632 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2003, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I am going to start making a new chart for myself this weekend, before Tuesdays drawing. I noticed some of you did the Sums and Range thing, however, I do not understand what the meaning of Range is when selecting numbers. Could anyone explain the Range so I will know what Range to put after the draw?

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2003, 10:34 pm - IP Logged
    Kristin:

I believe it's the area between the highest sum and lowest sum.

United States
      Member #1178
      February 22, 2003
      632 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2003, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

The Sum of the last draw was 118 and the passed before Friday's draw was 192 so what would the range be on those?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19904 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2003, 9:39 am - IP Logged

To Kristin,

When you are talking about range, there are all kinds of ranges, for example using the last 119 drawings for the Megamillion lottery, here are a few.

Sums (total all 5 numbers)= 58 to 212  ave. 134 
        Combo range(lowest to highest number)= 13 to 50  ave. 36
        Gaps(distance between adjacent numbers)=1 to 41  ave. 9

All this data was developed over a range of 119 drawings.

Good luck to you.
        RJOh

NY
          United States
          Member #1359
          April 11, 2003
          136 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2003, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Kristin,

How you select is up to you.  The time you spend on analyzing previous draws, charts, ranges, sums etc. is well worth it if you're having fun.  The value of "fun" is priceless to some of us.  Hopefully, we all play lottery for fun but realistically, we're not thinking that we're actually going to win the jackpot. 

Realisticaly though, your methods or Rjoh's methods does not have any slight advantage over QPs and playing your favorite #s.  But then, you both probably already knew that.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19904 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2003, 4:49 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by askjeeves on July 06, 2003

Kristin,

How you select is up to you. ........................................ 

......................................................  But then, you .......... probably already knew that.

I've removed a few words from your response, but I think your most important point is still there.  Now tell us something we don't know.

RJOh

Remember, if you aren't interested in someone's ideas, they probably don't care.

midwstrngirl's avatar - hair

United States
              Member #1529
              May 18, 2003
              74 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2003, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

speak for yourself askjeeves

i disagree with you--i think people here do play thinking that we can win the jackpot--who wants to be realistic!  i like having the dream

i enjoy playing the lottery, and i wouldn't play if i didn't believe i had a shot at winning...whether you play QP like Vision Dude or select your moms birthday or recently drawn numbers, we all play to win, and there is no harm in that as long as you don't play with money you can't afford to lose

why would anyone buy a ticket with the negative attitude "i probably won't win anyway?"  every time i buy i ticket i think to myself, this is it--this time i have the winner...i am never dissappointed (well maybe a little) but i enjoyed myself, so i didn't really lose anything (sometimes i even manage to win back what i spent) actually, i spend more on going to the movies

i may not have won the big jackpot yet, but it doesn't matter, what i spent trying was still money well spent! 

i wish i could say the same about gangs of new york--that's ten bucks gone forever!

"It is an old maxim of mine, that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. "

"I presume nothing. I imagine nothing. Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay. "

Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of Four

NY
                United States
                Member #1359
                April 11, 2003
                136 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2003, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Mid: The point I was making is that sadly enough, people really DO believe they can win and spend money they CAN'T afford.  And when they lose, they don't handle it well.

It's good to dream for few bucks here and there.  That's an entertainment value to us.  And when we lose, no big deal, that dream was well worth it. 

There's a difference between the two above.

RJoh, i'm glad you got my message.  I'm not sure if Kristin got it.  If she did, great.  Rjoh, tell you something you dont' know?  I'm not sure what you know and what you don't know so I can't really say.  I can probably say though that you will never win the jackpot but you probably know that. 

Then again, I'm not sure you'd take any serious advice from a teenager.  Maybe I'm wrong.

United States
                  Member #1178
                  February 22, 2003
                  632 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2003, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                    Member #91
                    January 19, 2002
                    12018 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2003, 8:10 am - IP Logged

Trouble is jeeves, you would have said the same thing to the lady that won the 183 million before she did it,  and you can honstly tell 100 million people that they will never win, but on occasion one will prove your theory wrong.  Everybody plays to win, and with the lottery someone always dventually wins. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31553 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2003, 8:58 am - IP Logged

ask jeeves - hey - you ever say anything positive??

love to nibble those micey feet.