Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Jackpot

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Calscorp.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How Much Are You Willing To Spend

The Usual Amount [ 12 ]  [54.55%]
Only Need One Ticket [ 5 ]  [22.73%]
As Much As I Can [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
Gone Completely Overboard?Break the Bank [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
Bakersfield
United States
Member #1568
May 24, 2003
421 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2003, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

This Powerball Is Huge And May Continue To Grow. Wouldn't You Just Love To Get Your Hands On It?  So, how much are you going to spend to try to get your hands on it? I am green with envy. Wish I were there playing with all of you. Best of luck to all of you. Let's hope someone from the post wins.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2003, 5:34 am - IP Logged

Calscorp,

Why not try online?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Texas
      United States
      Member #1810
      July 8, 2003
      5 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2003, 6:18 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by Todd on July 08, 2003

Calscorp,

Why not try online?

Is that a legit service?  I wonder about these online lotteries. I bet if you won you would not receive the money at all.  There is nothing to bind the  company to hand over the money.  Since you are unable to sign the  tickets yourself. 
        Bakersfield
        United States
        Member #1568
        May 24, 2003
        421 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2003, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Thank you Todd.  I did check out the site.  Interesting. But a no go for me. I don't use credit cards.  We just don't seem to get along.  I did try a couple of years ago with my debit card/Visa.  But the bank would not put it through. And powerfever makes a good point. you never know about some of the sites on the internet. And you really have to watch for security reasons. Make really sure it is a secure site. Someone got my debit card number of the internet and ordered $60 worth of magazines a couple of years ago. Of course, I got my money back but the bank will not put anything through on the internet since then.  That was on AOL.  It is not a secure site. So  I will just have to be content wishing everyone else the best of luck.

Bakersfield
          United States
          Member #1568
          May 24, 2003
          421 Posts
          Posted: July 8, 2003, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Good Luck

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23262 Posts
            Posted: July 8, 2003, 11:16 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by powerfever on July 08, 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on July 08, 2003

Calscorp,

Why not try online?

Is that a legit service?  I wonder about these online lotteries. I bet if you won you would not receive the money at all.  There is nothing to bind the  company to hand over the money.  Since you are unable to sign the  tickets yourself. 

Yes, it is legit, although I understand your hesitation.  However, saying that "there is nothing to bind the company to hand over the money" is incorrect.  That is like saying that when you enter a sweepstakes, the company running it is not bound to live up to the terms & conditions of the sweepstakes.  Also, I would suggest that if you are especially worried, that you order the service that shows you a scanned copy of the ticket that you can print & save.  (More proof of your ticket legitimacy & ownership.)

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23262 Posts
              Posted: July 8, 2003, 11:19 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by Calscorp on July 08, 2003

Thank you Todd.  I did check out the site.  Interesting. But a no go for me. I don't use credit cards.  We just don't seem to get along.  I did try a couple of years ago with my debit card/Visa.  But the bank would not put it through. And powerfever makes a good point. you never know about some of the sites on the internet. And you really have to watch for security reasons. Make really sure it is a secure site. Someone got my debit card number of the internet and ordered $60 worth of magazines a couple of years ago. Of course, I got my money back but the bank will not put anything through on the internet since then.  That was on AOL.  It is not a secure site. So  I will just have to be content wishing everyone else the best of luck.

Rather than give up on credit cards, you should find a bank that offers an e-card, which is specifically designed for online use.  It gives you a different temporary card number every time you make a purchase, so that you're never giving your real credit card number.

Tucson, AZ
                United States
                Member #1818
                July 9, 2003
                8 Posts
                Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:01 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by Todd on July 09, 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Calscorp on July 08, 2003

Rather than give up on credit cards, you should find a bank that offers an e-card, which is specifically designed for online use.  It gives you a different temporary card number every time you make a purchase, so that you're never giving your real credit card number.

Also, check this out:

color=#800080https://www.epassporte.com

I've never used them before, but I do know people who have. They give you a visa card number (but no actual card - this is for use online only) and an account. You load the account up with money (as little or as much as you want) and use it online like a regular card. It's tough for someone to steal that and rack up the charges if you only fund it little by little.

I'd say it's definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

Bakersfield
                  United States
                  Member #1568
                  May 24, 2003
                  421 Posts
                  Posted: July 9, 2003, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Thanks fo the info.  I have never heard of this before. I'm sure others have probably not heard of it before either.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #1359
                    April 11, 2003
                    136 Posts
                    Posted: July 9, 2003, 10:37 am - IP Logged

a buck will do just fine.

Bakersfield
                      United States
                      Member #1568
                      May 24, 2003
                      421 Posts
                      Posted: July 9, 2003, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

As we grow older, thoughts of retirement become very major. Future generations may not even have Social Security.  At your age, I hope you are setting something asise for the future.  So, alot of have our dreams and are wondering in we still have times to fulfill them.  Still, quite awhile to go before reaching senile. lol  So I am sure there are  lot of older people out there that have very high dreams of winning the powerball tonight.  I wonder how many people would put their very first dollar on the game tonight and saying a prayer to win.  But you never know.  Could the headline say.  "60 year old man plays powerball for the first time and wins  $250 mil on playing 1 ticket".  If someone wins tonight I hope they say how much they spent and how they won it.    But , perhaps there will be a rollover again.  I do know when jackpots get really high a lot more people are playing for a chance to win.  And people are investing alot more money.  Plus, all the groups of people who pool their money.  Do syndicates get in on this kind of thing.  Seems like I heard something about that.  But, I would be extremely delighted if someone frm the lotterypost won it.

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #491
                        July 16, 2002
                        837 Posts
                        Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

There is a poll floating around the internet that says 27% of the people polled are depending on lottery winnings for their retirement. WHOA! Dreaming about winning the big one is fun, but don't base your life on it.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Bakersfield
                          United States
                          Member #1568
                          May 24, 2003
                          421 Posts
                          Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Of course not. Hey, I've been in the same job for 20 years. I enjoy my security but I certainly wouldn't mind retiring early and fulfilling my dreams.  If I ever settle on what they are.  But like I said, people aren't thinking clearly when there is a huge jackpot.  Some people lose everything they own plus their families just on banking on winning.  I have certainly heard alot of stories about it.  And I am sure you probably have too.  People have to be realistic.  But you know how many people on the post and off who actually believe they are going to win the lottery oneday.  And that powerball has people in a frenzy.

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #491
                            July 16, 2002
                            837 Posts
                            Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Back when I lived in Florida, when the Florida Lottery Jackpot got up to 50 or 60 million, I heard of people taking out loans on their houses to play. Now 60 million is nothing.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Bakersfield
                              United States
                              Member #1568
                              May 24, 2003
                              421 Posts
                              Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Isn't that the truth.  You have to know what your limits are.