Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What I learned from playing powerball

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Pick-4_Master.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2003, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

It is better to either stick with the same combination of numbers the whole way through or play some quick picks.  From now on, I will play some combinations with the same group of numbers and some with quick picks, but there is definitely no guaranteed way to beat the lottery.  All that lotto cheatah talk is nonsense and bogus talk.  If there was EVER a way to beat the lottery, the jackpot wouldn't get this high in the first place. 

And by the way,

The Missouri Powerball winners have claimed their prize.

http://www.molottery.com/app/news/showArticle.jsp?aid=1085

And YES, they let the COMPUTER pick their winning numbers.

Visiondude and TC are right.  There is no guaranteed way to predict winning numbers.  You are better off doing quick pick.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
    Bakersfield
    United States
    Member #1568
    May 24, 2003
    421 Posts
    Posted: July 11, 2003, 7:06 am - IP Logged

I would imagine if I lived in the area that had powerball I would play the same way.  Have you heard of any actual percentages of wins based on playing qp versus picking your own numbers?  I would definitely do both. Here lately,  I have been lazy on the Superlotto and have used qp. But I wouldn't mind finding an edge on it.

I have not checked, has the other winner came forward yet?

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      484 Posts
      Posted: July 11, 2003, 8:26 am - IP Logged

According to the Powerball website, 70% of winners use quick pick, but that's because 70% of players use quick pick.  If I change any of my own numbers, it would be minor changes to a couple numbers while sticking with the other three that haven't been picked in a long time.

The other winner from Pennsylvania has not yet come forward, but according to a news article from BigGameLottery.com, the Pennsylvania lottery is asking that the winner sign his/her ticket, call a certified financial planner, and call Lottery Headquarters.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Bakersfield
        United States
        Member #1568
        May 24, 2003
        421 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2003, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the reply.  I think most people take the option of qp.  Generally, playing the game on the spur of the moment, so of course they are going to play qp.  Seems like a lot of those spur of the moment  players are winners.  But I wouldn't mind an edge on winning.  Guess I'm still looking around for answers to get that edge.  But I do play birthdays sometimes.

I wonder if the other winner played the same way. qp  Realizing they had a couple of dollars left and why not play.

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1610
          June 3, 2003
          668 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2003, 10:39 am - IP Logged

here is the link to&nb

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
            Bakersfield
            United States
            Member #1568
            May 24, 2003
            421 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the link. Interesting.  I had also read what it said about what happens to the money when you die (if you took payments).  Someone had told me you could will it one time. Used to do payments until we finally got the cash option. 

midwstrngirl's avatar - hair

United States
              Member #1529
              May 18, 2003
              74 Posts
              Posted: July 14, 2003, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

in florida quick picks are not better than picking your own numbers

but most of the players use quick picks...it is important to look at the ratio of players to prizes

"It is an old maxim of mine, that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. "

"I presume nothing. I imagine nothing. Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay. "

Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of Four

United States
                Member #1759
                June 29, 2003
                1156 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2003, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Buying Quick-Picks is DEFINITELY not better than selecting your own numbers if your not good at picking your own numbers then by all means buy a quick-pick.Most of the winners are not from quick-picks but for the sake of argument let's say it's about egual even though I read some information that stated more winning tickets are from players that select there own numbers.Don't push quick-picks like there the only way you can hope to win because it's not true any method has the potential of winning a jackpot even if it's pulling numbers out of a hat.

United States
                  Member #1759
                  June 29, 2003
                  1156 Posts
                  Posted: July 14, 2003, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

By the way this information does not pertain to all States and also if for some reason my information is incorrect there is a Logical reason why more winning tickets are quick-picks.More players buy quick-picks as opposed to selecting there own numbers out of convenience.So this shows that it's not because quick-picks are better but because they are used more often by the lottery playing public.So of course you would have more winners from them if I thought QP's were really a better way of playing lottery games I would be using them now but I stopped in 1995 after never winning

anything using them.I've won more often selecting my own numbers but like I said any method can work there is no ONE method that's better than another.