Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A must read and Cash didn't write it

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 13 years ago by midwstrngirl.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
light on my feet
United States
Member #356
May 20, 2002
2744 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2003, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

it STILL "pays" to take the lump.

i have read the going rate is between 1/2% to 2% depending on amount of money involved and the person you picked to handle it. the more the amount, the less the percentage. first of all with that much $$$$ you want to negotiate a flat fee, not a percentage. the flat fee negotiation will end up being less than the 1/2% and the financial advisor will have less of an excuse to manipulate your portfolio.

people will line up to handle that kind of $$$$ so that puts YOU in the drivers seat to negotiate. then over time you teach YOURSELF how to handle/invest effectively cutting out the middle man and taking more control over YOUR money - YOURSELF.

any comments midwstrngirl?

VDQPLS

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
    Queens, NY
    United States
    Member #245
    April 15, 2002
    451 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:58 am - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by midwstrngirl on July 15, 2003

t bills are you mad!!!

triple tax free deferred bonds!  then you get income without having to pay taxes!

MWG

You have a good point but what's the interest rate of the ttfdb's? Can you write checks against the intrest?

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Queens, NY
      United States
      Member #245
      April 15, 2002
      451 Posts
      Posted: July 16, 2003, 10:02 am - IP Logged

VD:

Beware financia

Megamillionaire

midwstrngirl's avatar - hair

United States
        Member #1529
        May 18, 2003
        74 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2003, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

triple tax free deferred bonds fall in the category of fixed income investments, they are generally issued by state gvts and or municipalities, you are basically loaning the government money

i am not sure if the interest is paid quarterly or yearly, i guess it depends on the bond

bond yields vary, but the reason high net worth individuals have them in their portfolio are to reduce their tax liability and provide income...for example, a bond yielding 4% may not seem like much (well maybe now it is considering interest rates are so low) but the value is more in the fact that the yield is 4% TAX FREE

portfolio managers are generally paid a fee of around 1%, which is agreed to before hand, and Vision Dude is right, people with a lot of money are certainly in a position of strength when it comes to negotiating terms

i certainly am not qualified to manage a jackpot winners portfolio VisionDude, though i am flattered that you think so

i think the benefit of this board, is that we all learn stuff from eachother about finances that will be helpful when we win, and even if some of you guys don't 

as for my own winnings?  i would not have it all in one spot...i would diversify, including offshore banking establishments in places like switzerland, and since right now the financial situation is very very precarious, i would not own US stock, i would have a large portion of my portfolio in precious metals like gold and silver as well as a small percentage in fixed income triple tax free bonds, but only if they are AAA rated---don't want to lose my shirt and cities can go bankrupt! 

"It is an old maxim of mine, that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. "

"I presume nothing. I imagine nothing. Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay. "

Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of Four

light on my feet
          United States
          Member #356
          May 20, 2002
          2744 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2003, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

MEGA,

"she" turned

Queens, NY
            United States
            Member #245
            April 15, 2002
            451 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2003, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

VD

I saw that. Prov

Megamillionaire

Queens, NY
              United States
              Member #245
              April 15, 2002
              451 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2003, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

MWG

Lots of good info, thanks. One thing I know about City and State bonds is that if the City or State goes bankrupt the bond holders get paid off first.

Megamillionaire

United States
                Member #1529
                May 18, 2003
                74 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2003, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

hey visiondude, if you want me to practice on your jackpot, suits me...

but wait, that presupposes you will win before i do....and i think the jury is still out on whose "system" is better, isn't it?

"It is an old maxim of mine, that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. "

"I presume nothing. I imagine nothing. Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay. "

light on my feet
                  United States
                  Member #356
                  May 20, 2002
                  2744 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2003, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

midwstrngirl,

then it's a race to the jackpot.

ba da dum ba da dum ba da dum dum dum, ba da daaaaaaaaaaaaa

dada dum dum dum.

don't worry, i am NOT nervous...

VDQUICK PICKLS

United States
                    Member #972
                    December 30, 2002
                    465 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2003, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

This article answers the question I always had: what percentage interest or return would you need on the lump sum to equal or surpass the jackpot? It's currently 7.8%, because of another fact that doesn't get noted much. The lottery's annuity is invested with no taxes taken out; any investment a winner makes on the lump sum is already minus 35% from federal tax, and 5% more from state tax (in MA, where I live) before they've invested the first dollar. That's a lot of ground to make up just to get to the amount the lottery started with.  And if the winner was serious about investing to actually make that 7.8%, they would probably need a financial adviser, lawyer, tax accountant all taking say, 1% more.  And it would also probably help to not spend any of the money on actual living as that would leave you even more in the hole. Let's assume you spend 2% of the money to live it up, that leaves you with 43% less of the original lump sum to invest to somehow get to the amount of the lump sum, never mind the annuity.  

Wow. It makes the lump sum look very unappealing. But there are 2 reasons to take the lump sum, even if you know you aren't going to make as much.  Inflation will eat away at the value of the money over 25 years.  And probably most important for many people, you only have to deal with the state one time, not every year.

I know what I'd take.

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
                      Bakersfield
                      United States
                      Member #1568
                      May 24, 2003
                      421 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2003, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Midwstrngirl

I am really impressed with your knowledge.  I have been reading your posts with great interest.  I really don't have a big plan on what I would do if I actually won it big one day. So the posts on here have been very enlightening. At least, you know where you would start. Do you work in business or is this info based on a lot of research?  I really hope you don't mind my asking but I was curious how you got your info.  keep it coming. Thanks.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                        Member #91
                        January 19, 2002
                        11927 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2003, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

even if you took annuity on 260 million wouldnt you still be paying taxes on the annual payments. so are deferred tax payments really better than one lump sum off the top....so what would you actually have for a total after 30 years of payments after taxes?

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                          Member #1529
                          May 18, 2003
                          74 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2003, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

you got it visiondude!

United States
                            Member #972
                            December 30, 2002
                            465 Posts
                            Posted: July 18, 2003, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I think you have to think of the lump sum as THE jackpot; the annuity is a bit of an illusion to make the real jackpot seem bigger and sell more tickets.  The annuity is the state investing the jackpot for you. If you took the lump sum, presumably you would be investing a lot of it too, but after having paid 40+% in taxes and expenses.  It's actually hard to know what to take, because having the state invest the money for you may pay better, but you never know what the future may hold and 25 years is a long time to have "your" money in a stranglehold.  These days it seems they can stop payouts if you are arrested, or a lawsuit could hold up payments, or the investment could go belly up like the S&L's, who knows - just knowing that the payouts are not absolutely guaranteed could persuade you to take the cash. If you have won more money than you can spend anyway, making the maximum return may not be a goal - if you have $35 million cash now instead of $60 million, does it make a real difference in anything you want to do? I don't think the decision is usually a financial one, I think it's more of wanting to reduce contact with the state to one time as opposed to every year.  So I've "lost" a little money by taking the lump sum - I've got control over the money and my life and I can get the hell out of Massachusetts and never look back.

I would certainly get some good advice pro and con from more than a newspaper article before I made my decision. 

United States
                              Member #1529
                              May 18, 2003
                              74 Posts
                              Posted: July 18, 2003, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

i don't think the ability to spread the taxes over several years is an advantage to annuity....because tax laws change....you never know when the government will decide to start conficscating a larger percentage