Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tracking Cookies

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Pick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
East Jordan, MI
United States
Member #2
June 1, 2001
675 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2003, 5:15 am - IP Logged

Todd,

I installed AdAware 6.0 yesterday.

I couldn't figure out where I was picking up the data miner tracking cookie from.  Well I've figured it out.  It is coming from lotterypost.  I've repeated the process numerous times.  Cleaning w/ AdAware, Visiting Lotterypost, Cleaning w/AdAware, Lotterypost.... etc.

Your cookies are considered spyware by AdAware and are tracking your users internet activity.

...../George

East Jordan, MI
    United States
    Member #2
    June 1, 2001
    675 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2003, 5:19 am - IP Logged

ArchiveData(auto-quarantine- 26-08-2003 08-17-05.bckp)

======================================================

TRACKING COOKIE

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

obj[0]=File : c:\documents and settings\bayesoft\cookies\bayesoft@servedby.advertising[1].txt

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
      Bakersfield
      United States
      Member #1568
      May 24, 2003
      421 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2003, 5:50 am - IP Logged

Thankf for the info.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31347 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2003, 7:16 am - IP Logged

todd - what's up?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23261 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2003, 9:03 am - IP Logged

No, Lottery Post is not tracking user's activities.  Sedertree, before posting an inflammatory message like that you should PM me.

Advertising.com, who serves our banner ads, is one of the biggest advertising companies on the Internet, serving tens (maybe hundreds) of millions of ads per day on thousands of web sites.  Like all advertisers, they attempt to place a cookie anywhere their ads are served, in order to determine (in aggregate) how their ads are shown and clicked.  It helps them communicate ad usage to their advertisers in order to show you ads that are suitable to the site content.

This is entirely normal throughout the industry, and is certainly not "big brother" spying on you.  And it is not Lottery Post that is placing the cookie.  If you check your AdAware software, you'll see that Lottery Post placing its own cookie on your PC in order to do an auto-login the next time you come back.

The bottom line is that cookies on your PC are a good thing.  Try turning them off to see how annoying things can become.

For those who are overly paranoid about a simple cookie on their PC, Internet Explorer has a built-in option to reject cookies.  Just turn it on.

I say the above comments not as someone who is trying to "convince" anyone to accept terrible, malicious cookies for some nefarious purpose, but to calm everyone down about the hysteria generated over this over-hyped issue.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Erie, Pa Dallas Tx
            United States
            Member #588
            August 23, 2002
            1124 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2003, 10:09 am - IP Logged

There is no reason to be alarmed with served by advertising cookies. Even Adaware rates it as a low risk cookie. It can't and doesn't contain any personal information about you. I've had it since it's inception and haven't got one high risk cookie yet, and I go to many known crack sites just to test my firewall protection. I can understand why  George is a little cautious with anyone or any site tracking anything on his computer without his knowledge.

But you have to remember one thing, they can't get in unless you let them in.

"May the next number out be yours"

Love #'s-417, 117, 820

Pick