Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

1 winner in mega for 150 in georgia

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Kristin.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

wonder if they have to change the rules to make the jackpots bigger - seems like mega has 1/2 the jackpots that powerball gets.

looks like i was wrong about it going on up though - i saved my money so i can waste it on the wa. state lottery instead - im playing all my tickets with a plus number of 16 again. only 2 more drawings before it switches back to a 6/49 game

twisted's avatar - underground
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #2376
    September 25, 2003
    582 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

I was hoping for the jackpot to get bigger also.  I guess it wasnt meant to be.  I hope they change the rules a bit before Texas joins Mega Millions. 

But now I guess I will be hoping for the Powerball to get above atleast 200 mill again.  I dont think it will happen but I can still hope.

Good luck dvdiva with the wa. state lottery.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

yeah i can continue my loosing streak for only 3 more drawings because the odds of someone winning it when it switches to a 6:49 game are like 99% so tomorrow and for the 4th i will play 16 as the plus ball and then switch over to the 6/49 trying to add triples like 3 numbers 11,17,15 or 34,38,31 as exaples.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2003, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I thought this was going to be the rollovers to get at least to $200 million.  Guess not.  And when Texas starts selling tickets, it will just make it worse.  When Texas joins I bet there will be very few times that the jackpot will reach the $100 million mark.  There will just be to many tickets bought for each drawing and someone will be likely to win.  But in the case of smaller prizes Powerball is the better game.  I mean they still have big jackpots all the time and only have 42 "extra balls" compared to MM's 52.  And not only that if you match it you get a dollar more.  It is bad to say it but MM would have to increase the odds after Texas comes in or even right now to get to the $500 million jackpots they were claiming when they first introduced the game.

Brad

United States
          Member #1178
          February 22, 2003
          632 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2003, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I find it quite funny and strange at the sametime, how come no one has won the Millions in Michigan yet since the change of the Mega Millions game.  I wonder why is that? Or at least I didn't see any winners, it's always in the East Coast or down South. 

United States
            Member #1178
            February 22, 2003
            632 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2003, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Michigan Lottery's Mega Millions Jackpot Skyrockets to $150 Million for the Tuesday, September 30 Drawing!

LANSING, September 29, 2003 Lottery officials announced that no winning ticket correctly matched all six winning numbers 5, 29, 32, 45, 52 and the Gold Mega Ball number 29 in the September 26 Mega Millions drawing, pushing the jackpot for September 30 to an estimated $150 million!

If one winning ticket matches all six numbers in Tuesday nights drawing and the player has selected annuity payments over 26 years, the $150 million jackpot would amount to pre-tax payments of roughly:

" $5.76 million annually;
            " $110,946 per week; or
            " $15,849 per day!

I wonder why they still call it Michigan, is it just because it was created in Michigan? Since 11 different states are now going to be playing it, I guess it just should be called Mega Millions.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #2376
              September 25, 2003
              582 Posts
              Posted: October 1, 2003, 10:12 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by Bradly_60 on October 01, 2003

I thought this was going to be the rollovers to get at least to $200 million.  Guess not.  And when Texas starts selling tickets, it will just make it worse.  When Texas joins I bet there will be very few times that the jackpot will reach the $100 million mark.  There will just be to many tickets bought for each drawing and someone will be likely to win.  But in the case of smaller prizes Powerball is the better game.  I mean they still have big jackpots all the time and only have 42 "extra balls" compared to MM's 52.  And not only that if you match it you get a dollar more.  It is bad to say it but MM would have to increase the odds after Texas comes in or even right now to get to the $500 million jackpots they were claiming when they first introduced the game.

Brad

Brad I was thinking the same thing before.  With taxes there will be so many more ticket buyers and someone will definitely win jackpot early.  But what I didnt take into account was with all these new people buying tickets, the jackpot will also be bigger because of all the new revenue coming in to the jackpot from texas.  And lets say someone does not win the jackpot, the rollover will be considerably larger than before.  Atleast thats what I'm hoping.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #2376
                September 25, 2003
                582 Posts
                Posted: October 1, 2003, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know when Texas will start selling tickets for the MM jackpot?

Thanks

United States
                  Member #972
                  December 30, 2002
                  465 Posts
                  Posted: October 1, 2003, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Although a $400 million jackpot would be "fun and interesting", why does anyone on here - who I am quite sure have never hit the astronomical 135 million to 1 jackpot odds - think they have to make the odds even more astronomical?  Is it because you are concerned with the states not making enough money, or because a jackpot of $100-150 million somehow isn't enough?  I don't get it.  Okay, I admit it does seem strange that the jackpots have been won so often after they increased the odds (wasn't there a $363 million jackpot under the old "better" odds?). But that's why odds are called odds; it is a probability and not a certainty that the jackpot will be missed enough weeks in a row to get to $400 million.  I don't think every possible combination was bought on those winning weeks and it could easily go even higher than $400 million in the future - all it takes is the number picked being one of the thousands or millions of combinations that haven't been chosen for 20 drawings.  The odds are that the #51 megaball should have been picked at least once in 144 drawings, but no one is saying they should change the game because of that; it could come up 5 times in the next 6 weeks. 

It will be very interesting to see the jackpots and frequency of winners once Texas is in MM. 

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: October 1, 2003, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I can see where you are coming from.  I mean if I won last night's $150 million I wouldn't be complaining about how someone won it.  But that point is that we don't play the game for the smaller prizes.  I mean I would love for the lotterys to start having prize structures so that the smaller prizes do mean something.  But when they only pay you $7 for match 3 of the 6 numbers that come up, you can't count on that.  So we want the bigger jackpots.  Bigger jackpots also stir up lots of excitement which makes it even better.  I mean when MM's gets to record breaking territory...or it if does...there would be so much excitement around that....it just makes the game better.  But my next point kinda contradicts that.  What if instead of many million dollar rollovers why can't the lotteries pay $5 for matching the mega ball.  I mean whats wrong with that?  And adjust the prize structure from there on up.  I mean the jackpots would probably not take 5 to 10 million dollar jumps but it sure would help make the game more interesting.  I mean a game to play that you don't have to win the jackpot to actually make money.  I dont know.  Huge jackpots are fun but when you buy 52 tickets and only match a Mega Ball for only two dollars isn't too fun.  But we could say that ticket buyer from Georgia would like to say they like the bigger jackpots right now!  haha

Brad

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #416
                      June 23, 2002
                      1614 Posts
                      Posted: October 1, 2003, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Hey KRISTIN,

Just to tell ya all the lotteries that are in MM calls it "their lottery"  Michigan isn't the only one that calls it Michigan's Mega Millions.  In New York it is called New York's Mega Millions.  In Georgia it is called Georgia's Mega Millions.  All states call it their own game even though it was the band of the first seven states that made up the game called The Big Game.  If a state offers it I guess they then can call it their own.

Brad

United States
                        Member #1178
                        February 22, 2003
                        632 Posts
                        Posted: October 1, 2003, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh thanks Brad, I didn't know that.