Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The online lotto tickets

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: October 29, 2003, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Is it true that Powerball tickets sold on the betslips.com website are sold in Delaware?  If that is true, then you could bypass the setting up a trust, since Delaware allows Powerball winners to remain anonymous.  Is it worth spending $2 on each ticket online?  Why or why not?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: October 29, 2003, 7:12 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by goldeneye26 on October 29, 2003

Is it true that Powerball tickets sold on the betslips.com website are sold in Delaware? 

Yes, check out their sample ticket.

Quote: Originally posted by goldeneye26 on October 29, 2003

Is it worth spending $2 on each ticket online?  Why or why not?

Yes, how much do those 2-hour drives cost?  (Time and money, of course!)  Plus, I buy lots of stuff online these days - everything I can.  Shopping at a store is just for fun!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      482 Posts
      Posted: October 29, 2003, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Todd

I read the frequently asked questions, and it said that it's everything is legal and safe since the tickets are bought from a lottery retailer and the tickets don't cross state borders.  So it seems legit and the way to go, especially in this information age.  You said in an old post that someone won the Florida lotto on this.  I just have only two questions left:  #1.  How come everyone else isn't doing this, especially since Delaware allows Powerball winners to remain anonymous?  and #2.  What's the catch?  (Does betslips.com get a cut of the prize if you win?) 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

twisted's avatar - underground
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #2376
        September 25, 2003
        582 Posts
        Posted: October 29, 2003, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Yeah betslips.com gets 1% of the winnings if you win the jackpot.  So lets say you win $10 million, they get $10000, even after you already payed a $1 extra on the ticket.  I think thats unfair and they shouldnt do that.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: October 30, 2003, 4:52 am - IP Logged

twisted,

My understanding is that the 1% ownership is a legal necessity, because it allows them to act on your behalf to cash smaller winnings, etc.  Anyone who does not have the 1% clause runs the risk of legal problems later, which can invalidate your jackpot win.  You tell me, which is the better scenario?

If you're going to quibble about 1%, that's crazy.  You should be more concerned with where they buy the ticket - Delaware - whch has no state tax and allows you to remain anonymous.  Your example of $10,000 out of $10 million is fine - what would the taxes be for a state that takes out 5% or 6%?  Also, I guarantee if you had a "friend" in another state buy a ticket for you, they'd ask for more than 1%.

Goldeneye,

Everyone else is probably not so smart.  There's a lot of other things about other services/sites which are not as good.  For example, did you know that one of the other services doesn't even buy the lottery tickets?  The buy "insurance" that will supposedly cover a jackpot win.  Anyone who uses their service is nuts.  And they advertise on ALL the search engines!

twisted's avatar - underground
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #2376
            September 25, 2003
            582 Posts
            Posted: October 30, 2003, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Todd, I agree with your about buying ticket from betslips.com for Powerball.  No state tax is really nice and the anonymity is awesome. 

But what about megamillions?  their other site www.megamillions.com uses Maryland for buying their tickets.  A state with the highest state tax from any of the megamillions states and I dont think they let you be anonymous. 

I will still buy tickets using megamillions.com because I dont live in a megamillion state, but I'm not happy about the fact that they buy their tickets from Maryland. 

After emailing them, they did say that they have traditionally given back .5% back to the winners.  Which is excellent because even if they dont give the .5% back, now I cant trust them a little more than before.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: October 30, 2003, 11:40 am - IP Logged

The nice thing about Maryland is that even though they don't have a rule or law about it, they allow winners to remain anonymous if they request it!

United States
                Member #567
                August 14, 2002
                482 Posts
                Posted: October 30, 2003, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Todd

You mentioned before in another post that Maryland allows winners to remain anonymous, but there is no law regarding that, so the lottery officials in Maryland could change their minds.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: October 30, 2003, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

goldeneye,

I think I was pretty clear when I said there was no rule or law.

United States
                    Member #567
                    August 14, 2002
                    482 Posts
                    Posted: October 30, 2003, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Oh yeah, my bad.  Sorry about that.

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      482 Posts
                      Posted: October 30, 2003, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Todd

Wait a minute.  How can betslips.com fill out all those playslips for people requesting numbers in time for the drawing?  I'm just wondering.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23259 Posts
                        Posted: October 30, 2003, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you ask them?  I would suggest visiting their Contact Us page.