Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Oh my God...Winning $162 MM Ticket Lost

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Bug.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8361 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2004, 12:34 am - IP Logged

If she lost her purse somebody probably picked it up went through it looking for cash and tossed it in a dumpster or trash can. I haven't been to Euclid in a long time but I think this is a heavy pedestrian area. If it was tossed in the trash the sanitation engineer wouldn't give it a second thought. So it might be at the dump/landfill. Or down a storm drain who knows. It has been snowing there it may be covered over. If I was her I would be looking high and low in every nook and cranny re tracing my steps. If a good Samaritan found it he might have tossed it in a mail box. If somebody found the ticket he or she might be scared to death holding on to that much money and not knowing what to do. I feel sorry for her but like the director said if somebody shows up with the ticket they are in-titled to collect. I guess she didn't sign it. And if it got very wet from the snow or water the numbers will probably be gone from the ticket, they disappear when they get wet.

China
    Member #3032
    December 16, 2003
    1081 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2004, 4:55 am - IP Logged

Dont worry.maybe its a good thing for her,who knows

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11931 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2004, 7:38 am - IP Logged

She supposedly dropped her purse and items fell out, she picked up her purse and the items, but did not notice the ticket had blown out.  Local news showed about 20 or 30 people in the area with flashlights, kicking at the snow.  Since The 30th of december, we have had about 2 days worth of rain and I think South Euclid is on the edge of the snow belt they probably have about 2 to 3 inches of snow in the last couple of days.  yep its going to be hard trying to find that ticket.... well this is one for the record books.....you can here the legislators starting to sharpen their pencils already in regards to who gets what come june...

I'll stick a ticket in my back yard for the next few days and see what the elements do to it!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        482 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2004, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Somebody just claimed the prize this morning.  But the general public has to wait until 11:30 EST today to find out whether it was her or someone else.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11931 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2004, 9:30 am - IP Logged

It looks like someone either found the ticket or is claiming to be the winner,,,There is a press conference scheduled for 11:30am from the ohio lottery office,,,,and the plot thickens...

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
            Member #567
            August 14, 2002
            482 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2004, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Oh my God!!! It's not the same person!!!  And she is saying the same "I lost the ticket outside the store!" story.  All hell will break loose in court.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,107454,00.html

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11931 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2004, 10:49 am - IP Logged

This is going to get interesting.....

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8361 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2004, 12:24 pm - IP Logged
                The woman that claimed the ticket at lottery headquarters is the winner. The ticket is a bearers instrument if she found it and turned it in it hers.

Finders keepers, losers weepers.
                  Bug's avatar - avatar php?userid=678402&dateline=1071851147

United States
                  Member #788
                  October 15, 2002
                  471 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2004, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Absoulutely, and that is why they should be guarded until signed. There isn't any need for a lawyer or lawsuits. I don't feel sorry for anyone when this junk happens.