Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Fraud

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 13 years ago by luckycat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #2218
September 1, 2003
5396 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2004, 5:12 am - IP Logged

How can we protect ourselves when we hit the big one??

What happened in Ohio, could it happen again??

When millions are at stake anyone can get a lawyer and have claim to a ticket.  Any lawyer would take 1/3 from the winnings.

We all play the lottery here.  I was wondering what ways can we do to ensure no one comes forward to claim they lost there ticket.

How can we protect our winnings??

wsls

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #491
    July 16, 2002
    837 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2004, 5:53 am - IP Logged

There's really no way to prdvent a lawsuit from being filed. I could file a lawsuit saying that I was in Ohio at that time and lost my ticket, even though I live in South Carolina. Of course the lawsuit would get thrown out.

Keep your playslip, record the date, time and store somewhere,(but not on your ticket) It's also helpful if you have a receipt. If you win, sign your ticket, and contact a lawyer the next day. Get a certified copy, and put the ticket in a safety deposit box. This won't prdvent a lawsuit from being filed, but it will prove the ticket is yours. Most people don't do this, but think about it, if you had $100 million in cash, would you keep it in your pocket, or under your mattress?

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
      Member #1687
      June 16, 2003
      1047 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2004, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

it could happen again:

but in the end  the TRUTH  will  prevail> too much tech around today.

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

witty's avatar - sam
        FL
        United States
        Member #3263
        January 6, 2004
        10 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2004, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

true Luckycat,

Anyways the bottom line for any lottery winnings is , the winner is that person only , who has the original ticket, no matter from where it comes. It doesn't matter I , you or anyone  else says I lost the ticket or I bought that and gifted to my friend/relative, so I should get the money as it hit the jackpot now . Whoever has the ticket,  gets the money- straight and simple.

The "Ohio story" is something  like this - I failed in the exam and later I am saying that I knew all the answers and atended all the classes but was not feeling good to write the answers in the exam, even then  the teacher should pass me or I will sue the teacher . LOL

good luck to all you guys for the big forthcoming jackpots.

witty

United States
          Member #1687
          June 16, 2003
          1047 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2004, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

witty:

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3114 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2004, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

A winning lottery ticket is a bearer instrument, its value payable to the bearer on demand.  Once it is signed it is payable to the signer.  While anyone can claim to be the original owner of a lottery ticket and file suit to recover its value, proof of such claims can be hard to come by.  The lottery ticket is your receipt.  Do any lotteries validate play slips?  A fresh play slip can be marked with yesterday's winning numbers in seconds.  Played the same numbers every week for years?  Doesn't mean you remembered to play on they day they won, it's a famous lament one's numbers winning on the one day not played.  Best thing to do if you win, shut-UP!  Don't tell anyone you wouldn't trust with your life if a million dollar reward were on your head payable dead or alive.  Talk to a lawyer if you are interested in creating a family trust or if the ticket is a club purchase, don't sign it until you know how it should be signed for a trust or club.  Don't photo copy the ticket and leave it in the machine, the lottery won't honor a photo copy nor will it be worth much for proof as it's so easy to fake a photo copy.  If being in the lime light is a problem, wait until someone else wins big to draw off the news hounds before turning in the ticket.  Don't give it to the guys at the Quickie-Mart to validate (just to be sure it's the big winner) they'll say it won for four numbers and pay off on that.  Take it to one of the official lottery offices.  Plan on changing your phone number right away and moving soon.  BobP

United States
              Member #1687
              June 16, 2003
              1047 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2004, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

the real truth prevailed.