Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If a Church Turned In the Winning Ticket

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Algie's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
Member #3387
January 18, 2004
2 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2004, 5:28 am - IP Logged

... would they have to pay federal or state taxes? Are 501c(3) corporations exempt from Lottery winnings? Has this ever been done?

United States
    Member #434
    June 30, 2002
    675 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2004, 8:00 am - IP Logged

I doubt a church would ever turn in a lottery ticket because to some parishoners the lottery is considered gambling and the church would look hypocritical.

Even some of the churches that Jack Whittaker wanted to "tithe" to rejected his payments because of this.

Mana's avatar - mana
      Virginia Beach
      United States
      Member #3375
      January 16, 2004
      93 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2004, 8:06 am - IP Logged
      Quote: O

... insert witty quote here ...

... My behavior and apperance betrays my age ... but I'm good enough ...
      besides, people in person would still be afraid to talk to meh, even if I had millions ^^;

Baltimore MD
        United States
        Member #2656
        October 31, 2003
        108 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2004, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Lottery playing is only hypocritical when preachers/priest/parishioners feel that the lottery player is taking monies away from the churches.  But, let that someone win the lottery big and give some of the winnings to the church.  Bet they will take the  monies then.  Is the church not being hypocrital still???? Double Standards!

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2004, 8:30 am - IP Logged

If a non-profit group would claim a ticket, they would still need to provide their F.E.I.N. (Federal Employer ID Number), just as a group of individual "for profit" poolers would... I don't think the W-2G has a concession for 501c(3) corporations. It requires claiming if the amount won exceeds $600 or 300 times the original bet... You would probably need to consult a tax attorney to know for sure.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Algie's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
            Member #3387
            January 18, 2004
            2 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2004, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes, Mana, let's open it up to non-religious 501c(3)'s. Has one ever claimed a lottery?

Hypersonic has a good point regarding the W-2G, however, the monies would be refunded at the end of the year if the 501c(3) had no tax liability?

There's probably a law regarding the Lottery or we would have seen someone claim one in the name of a tax exempt entity. There's a LOT of tax money to be saved.

6of6's avatar - lightening
              Alabama
              United States
              Member #3428
              January 20, 2004
              25 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2004, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

I agree with bigmoney on this, if a tithe is payed from lottery winnings the church will take it with a smile. so i guess if the money comes from a member of the congregation and not directly from the lottery its okay, so really its about the channels from which the money is given to the church................anyway why would a member of said congregation be buying lottery tickets in the first place.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                Clarksville
                United States
                Member #487
                July 15, 2002
                17638 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2004, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

What if a person anonymously donated the ticket to the church?  Do you still think they would turn it down?

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.