Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question regarding what to do if YOU WIN.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 13 years ago by mayan27.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2004, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I just have to ask.  Why is it that it is important that you don't promise anyone anything?  I looked at a particular website **This link already posted in past topic threads** that said that you should say and promise absolutely nothing.

Not that I would promise anything, but if you DO win and plan to leave town, won't family members/ friends wonder what you will do and when you will return????  Your thoughts.

Another thing.  If you are supposed to leave town immediately after winning, don't you need to have a large amount of cash on you for renting a car, hotel room, etc.  But it takes the lottery about 3 weeks to give you the money, so how can a lottery winner afford to make such expenses before the real check comes in?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2004, 9:34 am - IP Logged

If you promise, and subsequently don't deliver, you may just be sued.

Don't tell ayone at all that does not NEED to know until you get your money. I would tell my wife but not the kids (for their safety). Nobody would need to know anything about the move, so they won't be wondering anything at all.

I would leave town when it was financially feasable, not immediately. A week or so getting the trust ready, 6 weeks to validate the ticket... business as usual for a few months. Then there is finding a place to move... IF you even decide to move at all, you would just have to live low-key to avoid letting everyone know. Personally I would rather move.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2004, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

i think that not sharing with family and very close friends would just make things more difficult.

if i did win however i would just show up to work like normal and deny winning anything. i would however talk to lawyers to set up needed trusts and get a very large insurance policy for driving. after i won i'd probably go to my wife's family's home which isn't even in this country.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2004, 4:52 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on January 27, 2004

i think that not sharing with family and very close friends would just make things more difficult.

I'm not referring to sharing welath later on, it's just that as long as nobody else knew, you could help out on your own terms... no badgering, begging, guilting involved... With several mill I would consider that the END of stress, not an invitation to more ;-)

Everybody gets goofy around money...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1610
          June 3, 2003
          668 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2004, 5:16 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on January 27, 2004

"if i did win however i would .....get a very large insurance policy for driving."

that is so true and so very important!! i have also thought about this before and i'm glad you mentioned it. the one area where you would be extremely vulnerable after any kind of a jackpot win would be if you were involved in a motor vehicle accident. {even if the other driver is at fault} ...think of the target you would present for some lawyer. after any level of jackpot win (even a single state game) my very first phone call would be to my auto insurance agent asking him for advice on increasing my liability coverage to maximum levels.
          ... the lottery never fails to surprise!
            LaurainMass's avatar - strawberry
            Boston,Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #2924
            December 2, 2003
            65 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2004, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

A long long time ago in a place far far away,was a Car Salesman who took the word of a procliamed lets just say Mass Megabucks winner,who held what he thought was a winning ticket.The proclaimed winner was in the dealership looking to purchase a brand new say Ford 1982 Econoline Custom Van.He showed the dealer the winning ticket and the numbers seem to match the winning numbers in newspaper.The dealer let him test drive a van on the lot after he ordered the Custom Van from the factory.keep in mind,the jackpot was like $36 million.The pot was drawn on a Wednesday.The proclaimed winner kept the Van over the weekend and then brought it back that Monday afternoon.When the winner went inside the dealership,the salesman,his boss and a few other employees were looking at the real single winner celebrating on television so the dealer asked the proclaimed winner to look at his ticket once again and it turns out from all the excitement,the proclaimed winner was missing a couple of numbers.To make a long story short,there's a Car Salesman running around out there hoping no one have seen the news looking for work lol.

Laurajean

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #3457
              January 22, 2004
              248 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2004, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I would try to avoid mentioning my win to anyone other than my wife.  I don't even think I'd tell my financial advisors.  I would simply present them with amounts of money I wished to invest and the criteria by which I evaluate investments.  They don't need to know where it came from.

Of course, people may find out through the media, but I'll do my best to minimize my profile.

China
                Member #3032
                December 16, 2003
                1081 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2004, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

share it with your love

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
                  Harrisburg, Pa.
                  United States
                  Member #3093
                  December 23, 2003
                  233 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2004, 6:57 am - IP Logged

Sounds good, Goose. 

Just think of jack Whitaker , and that other lady in Cleveland (I forgot her name) who thought she should win.  So just be cool, calm, and don't go doing anything crazy.  I would think a substantial winner, (not a big Jackpot) would be able to claim, and get a healthy 6 figure check in the mail with out much media hype.  But grapevines work fast, and there are people who get suspicious.

I on the other hand have never had that problem, yet anytime I try to collect anything over $1 it seems to be a hassle.  First big winner ($400 and change) that I had, I had to drive around to 6 places on a Saturday night to cash the ticket.  Finaally the last place gave me a personal check, and the change in cash.  Good thing.  The store that I cashed at was in the Mall, and I probably would have squandered all that money right then and there buying lots of CD's and who knows what else.  So I put the check in the bank and a few days later bought a new TV.  Still have it after 20 years.

mayan27's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                    Minnesota
                    United States
                    Member #2426
                    October 2, 2003
                    84 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2004, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

It's one thing making plans when money is not around,and another thing when you expierence that dream of riches.Whatever the case is,i pray to win then i will know what's up cuz i never count my chicks before they hatch.KEEPING IT REAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!